• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rumble from transfer case

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
A few years back I swapped in a manual transfer case. I got it from a local PnP and have had zero issues with it's performance.

Last winter in Ohio we had a pretty nasty February and I used 4WD a lot. I leave my hubs locked all winter. When running 4WD at close to highway speeds I get a nasty vibration and rumble that is not constant, but will go away a second, then come back. If I shift back into 2WD it will go away.

Weird thing is, if I run hubs locked 2WD I don't hear it. If I run 4WD with the hubs unlocked I don't hear it, it is only when I have the hubs locked and in 4WD.

This is my DD and I am afraid to run it too much with this noise. Winter is fast approaching. It is loud enough that I know it is not good to continue like it is, and I am afraid of a catastrophic failure on the highway.

The only other thing worth noting is back in 2006 I was hit and had to replace the front pumpkin, but I reused my old gears and just changed out the axle beam. This shouldn't affect it, but thought I would throw it out there.

Thanks!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't know if this will have any bearing on your problem, just throwing it in the mix. Years back I added an extra shim to my 9" to get poorman's posi. I got a humming vibration [comes and goes on a regular cycle] after that. I found out I should have marked the [?orientation of the ?] ring gear [tooth] to the pinion [tooth]. Maybe something to think about, anyways,
Good luck,

Richard

Jspafford

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
U-joints in both axleshafts are new. Well, not new, but they were replaced after the accident. Everything was, ball joints, tie rods, u-joints, steering box, etc.

I just find it odd that with any combination of the driveline spinning it doesn't do it, but it only does it when the front driveline is actually recieving power.

I've also noticed the front end kinda hunches up (for lack of better explanation) when in 4WD and taking off. Almost like it gets power first or something.

I dunno!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Have you checked the fluid in the t-case and the front diff to see if it's dirty and/or metallic-looking at all?

Jspafford

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Have you checked the fluid in the t-case and the front diff to see if it's dirty and/or metallic-looking at all?
T-case Check, front diff, not since replacing it. I will check it soon!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals