• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wet headliner, but at least my wipers worked!

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
My painstakingly renewed headliner got wet (first time in rain). Right by the rear window. I was thinking maybe the gasket/whatever on the cargo light, so whipped up a gasket for it.

But when I was putting it in, I noticed how much the window was pulled away from the body.
1000006944.jpg

I saw that there should be some butyl tape in there fighting the good fight, but seems like a big gap. I guess I could wait for the headliner to dry
and then pour some water on it again and see what happens :cool:

Opinions?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think we need to do this on dad's 2000. Sounds like his leak is lower than yours, his does not get the headliner wet.

You could try what you suggest, or maybe it's just time to pull and reseal the window. That's what I'm planning to do on dad's, just need to figure out the size of butyl rope that is needed.

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I went ahead an put in the gasket I made for the cargo light.
I'm going to look up the procedure to replace the butyl tape on the whole thing. My luck with this truck it's probably the whole seal.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you find it or do it, please post a link or the details. On this one it's a matter of pulling the interior trim, unbolting the glass and sliding it out. I think it's the same for all Extended cab Rangers, atleast the 93+ ones, but I've never done it on any of them.

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If you find it or do it, please post a link or the details. On this one it's a matter of pulling the interior trim, unbolting the glass and sliding it out. I think it's the same for all Extended cab Rangers, atleast the 93+ ones, but I've never done it on any of them.
Looks like the headliner needs to be pulled or moved some for the rear top bolts. I gotta do some more research, but will write it up when/if I do it

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I made a gasket for my cargo light. Today I went through a rain storm. It was NOT the problem :icon_rofl:

So I need to replace the butyl tape on the rear window. 🤬

Looks like I'm going to be pulling the interior again. Though I'm looking for a replacement for the whole b-pillar trim I broke when I did my headliner. Don't want to pull all of that stuff twice of not needed.

Will probably put some type of tape on it if I have to drive in the rain in the near future...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals