• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project OUTRANGEROUS 4.6L Install / Phase 2

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
If running rich is an issue, check the fuel pressure and/or the regulator for it.

Glad to see she is finally running. When all is said and done, I think a great tech library writeup will be needed so that people that may want to do this is in the future can have some guide lines to go off of.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Waaaaaahooooooo!

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Waaaaaahooooooo!
I know right!!! Now where is Bobby at, he will be happy to see that it is running.

What made it better to know that it runs is a video of it. Alot of guys say they get something running and dont have a video and that makes me tip right out of my chair.

Im going to watch the video again!!!!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
now the fun begins.....

with a moates this shit just gets easier:icon_rofl:

theres no magic here:icon_thumby:

if there is black shooting out the pipes its rich....if its not...your lean...sometimes lean burns eyes as bad as rich and smells off.

simple as smashed o2...switched around o2's or the fuel pressure is too high due to improper or now burned driver from the wiring snafu...

tons of shit can cause it....simple intake leak.....bad maf...whatever...live datalogging is a great way to eliminate guessing and buying shit you dont need..

let the burnouts begin:icon_cheers:

RJAAAAAA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I can do all things thru Christ who strenghtens me
Awesome build dude!

Is that thing as quiet in real life as it is in that video?
Thanks, it's been alot of fun and some worries but it will be worth it in the end and that looks close.
I had the camera up on a ladder to look down on the engine so I placed it about 5' behind the truck and I think these J C Whitney side pipes sound awwwwwweeeesome Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDNH8M5ib-E&feature=g-upl&context=G2d161d2AUAAAAAAAAAA
You didn't go blind :icon_confused:, it's just audio.

RJAAAAAA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
now the fun begins.....

with a moates this shit just gets easier:icon_rofl:

theres no magic here:icon_thumby:

if there is black shooting out the pipes its rich....if its not...your lean...sometimes lean burns eyes as bad as rich and smells off.

simple as smashed o2...switched around o2's or the fuel pressure is too high due to improper or now burned driver from the wiring snafu...

tons of shit can cause it....simple intake leak.....bad maf...whatever...live datalogging is a great way to eliminate guessing and buying shit you dont need..

let the burnouts begin:icon_cheers:
Thanks for the help, i'm not out of the woods yet but it's lookin a whole lot better. Few ends to tie up, like flipping the trans linkage around, some one hooked it up backwards. dahhh!!!!. Should be out for a shake down run next week. Have a busy weekend with the grand children.
I definetly think an "BURNOUT" video is in order.

RJAAAAAA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Maiden Voyage

Well it's about time!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo:
Took her out for a spin today (no pun intended) around the block and WOW does this thing sound and run awesome. It's no pro street car but it sure does get down the road. Had some trans issues the first time out, connector on trans was loose and it wouldn't shift through the gears but snugged it up and down the road we went.
Thanks TRS, you guys have been great. I'm not done by any means but she is driveable now, I took her up and gave her a bath at the local carwash while I was out. It was looking pretty dirty from sitting around for a couple of months.
I'll keep you all updated.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
That's fantastic!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Had some trans issues the first time out, connector on trans was loose and it wouldn't shift through the gears but snugged it up and down the road we went.
There always has to be something like that, I couldn't figure out why mine shifted so fast... some dummy had the t-case in 4 low (didn't have the right lever/linkage yet)

RJAAAAAA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Project OUTRANGEROUS

Well, spent most of yesterday tiding up under the hood and pulling together the loose ends. Everything looks neat and trim (almost looks factory). I think I came call the BUILD COMPLETE today Project OUTRANGEROUS is a great success, ran her around about 75 miles today and preformed great!!! :yahoo:

Even did a little burn out just to see how she came out of the hole. Not bad for an open rear!! :icon_thumby: Video will be forthcoming for sure, need to find a place and extra person.
Still need some things reworked but it's all extra from here on out.
I'm working on a fresh clean set of wiring diagrams for an as built, I'll make these available to all when complete.
Thanks
Ron

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any updates? How has she been running for you?

mdn14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, we might as well have the same truck, cept yours has a lot more guts! Sweet conversion! :icon_thumby:

RJAAAAAA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Outrangerous update

Things are great. I've put about 300 miles on the truck and it runs great !!:yahoo: I've only checked the mileage once and it can out just short of 20 mpg, not to shabby. I haven't had any problems to speak of, the side pipe is rattling on the frame a bit (needs a small spacer). I can't seem to get the idle to settle down, it idles fine in neutral but when in gear I starts to lope . It's annoying. I'm going to take down to the auto store and have them read the pcm and see if it has thrown any codes, I reused old O2 sensors and maybe they aren't working correctly:icon_confused: not sure. It's alot of fun to drive and the side pipes sound great. I don't notice any difference in handling at all (except at full throttle from a stop) woooooooooow. No problem breaking these tires loose. I had to go through state inspection here in Pa. (yearly) and eveything went fine except I found out that Pa. does not allow the flexible exhaust pipe, (have to use the flex pipe with the braid on the outside). i used a short piece (14") between the exhaust header pipes to the side pipes. The shop let it slip by but told me to swap it out with the correct pipe when these burn or rust out, also needed new front rotors ( go figure, they only had 235,000 miles on them).
Been working on some scratch removal on the bed, racked up quite a few scratches over the last 11 years, starting to look alot better. This swap has been alot of fun and in the end was well worth the effort. Thanks for all your input , encouragement and info.
Still have a crazy burnout video coming ASAP. My wife doesn't understand the need for such a thing. Can you believe that.:icon_rofl:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My truck would never pass inspection and if it had to be, I would be in debt from everything, not saying she isnt road worthy or safe. Im glad I live where I do.

We not only need burn out videos but ones of it driving and this taking off from a stop one too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals