• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Life Support.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I plan on fixing it whenever I find a 3rd gen 3.0 A4LD Ranger in the yard.

So far it's only came off once. And at least that was in my driveway the day I bought it.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Have the tool to take the coils off and the rear shocks waiting in my brothers shed at the moment. Hopefully I will get the chance to put the springs and shocks on either this week or next.

Also, I hope the first gen rear shocks will fit my truck, Napa had them down for the same part # so it should work.

krazykracker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im so glad i live in florida, simple tasks can be a bitch w/ all that rust yall have up there.

keep up the progress.

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
Did you check the bearings on the front of that thing? It looks like it is still leaning pretty good and that could be a cause.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
im so glad i live in florida, simple tasks can be a bitch w/ all that rust yall have up there.
keep up the progress.
Yeah, I lost a spring hangar and the shocks to rust. As well as the oil pan and the trans line.

Did you check the bearings on the front of that thing? It looks like it is still leaning pretty good and that could be a cause.
It's definitely the springs. I had a professional mechanic check it out and the ball joints are brand new and everything but the springs are in good shape. The springs are rusty and all compressed looking. Definitely worn out.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My brother brought over a little goody bag today.

Never used shocks that sat in his garage for a while, and some coil spring compressors. Hopefully I won't kill myself using them. Looks like I can get started, now I just have to find my jackstands.. they're around here somewhere..

Last edited:

dangeranger01

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
You dont need spring compressers. Unbolt the shocks and jack the truck up by the frame and the coils should come right out after removing the nut and retainer that hold them in. If i recal the nut is 1 1/8" someone correct me if im wrong it may be bigger.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'll mostly be using them for putting the coils back in. Or something. I dunno. I just wanted them handy in case I needed them.

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you do use them those compressors do not have safety clips. BE CAREFUL - get some bailing wire or something similar to wrap around the spring coil and the compressor to keep it from popping off.

I had a set do it to me on my 240, thank God it was when they were almost extended - scared the living hell out of me though . . .:scare::shok:

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, I know they can do that. I'll be carefull if I use them. I really only have them if I run into trouble getting the springs back on or something, you never know.

dangeranger01

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
You get them springs in there yet?

irishblessing

you seem to be a preety handy guy good luck with your truck ill keep an eye on you and thats quite a difference with those new springs good springs too skyjackers

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Didn't get a chance to jack up the truck. It started to rain today and since I couldn't feel my hands.. I went back inside.

I did however, get my tailgate torn apart and the license plate bracket on.

Here's why my tailgate doesn't open right. Close to not opening at all.

The green arrow points to the arm that doesn't function right. You have to really yank and work it for the tailgate to open. I'm afraid it will break the only arm that isn't broke soon, since it's rusted through and you have to use so much force on it. Double red circle is the broken piece. Is this something I can swap out or is it attached to the tailgate? I can't tell.. I think those two bolts hold it on.

License plate is back where it belongs. Hopefully I won't put it into another ditch and take the new one off. Picked that up a while ago for 3 bucks at a junk yard. If I break it off I'll be pissed. Not because that's three less dollars, but because it was hell getting it on and the old bolts off. Ended up tightening them until they broke because they were all gummed/chewed up and I don't have a cutter wheel for the compressor.

Lots of rust there, think it can be sanded down and painted over, or should I look into dropping 40 bucks on a new front bumper? Otherwise I'll just sand it down with a rough grit then go over it with a semi fine grit, and paint gloss black. Along with the valance (buying a new one from a junkyard) and the grill.

When I do that, I'm considering painting the mesh behind the grill the body color, not too sure though.

motohead771

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
dude lose the ratty bug deflecter.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals