• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My motor swap

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Your block is a 65-67 289 block. You're going to need the 79-80 5.0 dual sump oilpan with the dipstick tube in the pan. Check with Advance Auto Parts for this. Part number is FP11C Vendor is "Spectra" it lists for $115.

Last edited:

83bagged

January 2010 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
so a fox body dual sump wont work?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
It'll fit but it has no provision for a dipstick. The one I listed above does. It's for the 79-80 Mustangs and other cars that used the dual sump pan.

frank91lx

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It'll fit but it has no provision for a dipstick. The one I listed above does. It's for the 79-80 Mustangs and other cars that used the dual sump pan.
I have one of these pans if you need it.
Frank

83bagged

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well i just looked at my timing cover and it goes through it. not directly into the pan. idk we will see when i pull it off

but 289's much slower than 302's? i know it depends on the mods... but this one isnt stock, not super modded either. mild. i just hope itll still be quick

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just where else would the dip stick go but other than into the pan? Do you have any idea of what cam is in it? What heads? Pull a valve cover to check the casting numbers. Hard to tell just what you will have on a 40 year old motor. Yes a stock 289 will be slower than an equivalent 302 but will fast enough with that gearing. Find out what you really have before throwing money at it.
Dave

83bagged

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just where else would the dip stick go but other than into the pan? Do you have any idea of what cam is in it? What heads? Pull a valve cover to check the casting numbers. Hard to tell just what you will have on a 40 year old motor. Yes a stock 289 will be slower than an equivalent 302 but will fast enough with that gearing. Find out what you really have before throwing money at it.
Dave
i posted pics of the heads. 351...

ill go outside right now and take pics of every number

EDIT:
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod/engine2.html
"302 68-69 C8OE-A C8OE-B C8TE-B 4.00 8.206 6 bolt bellhousing"

pics are loading

Last edited:

frank91lx

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
well i just looked at my timing cover and it goes through it. not directly into the pan. idk we will see when i pull it off

but 289's much slower than 302's? i know it depends on the mods... but this one isnt stock, not super modded either. mild. i just hope itll still be quick
That 289 has a front sump oil pan. That is the reason your dipstick goes through the timing cover to the front of the oil pan. You will not be able to use the pan in your ranger. As said above your best bet is a 79-80 mustang pan that is a rear sump. It has the dipstick that goes into the driverside of the pan. If you want I can take a picture of the one that I have and send it to you.
Frank

83bagged

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That 289 has a front sump oil pan. That is the reason your dipstick goes through the timing cover to the front of the oil pan. You will not be able to use the pan in your ranger. As said above your best bet is a 79-80 mustang pan that is a rear sump. It has the dipstick that goes into the driverside of the pan. If you want I can take a picture of the one that I have and send it to you.
Frank
well i feel like an idiot now, :icon_bounceblue: i cleaned the numbers this time. pics shall show...

that was scary! lol

83bagged

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well the good news is with that casting number, does appear you do have a '68-69' 302 block! Sorry to be so cranky before.
Dave

83bagged

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well the good news is with that casting number, does appear you do have a '68-69' 302 block! Sorry to be so cranky before.
Dave
lol its cool man. im not a noob. i hate sounding like one. but honestly ive never messed with a motor... and when i bought the motor he pulled up and it looked to be in such good shape i forgot every question i had for him! lol

i have his cell #, im gonna call him tomorrow on my lunch and ask about what size pistons forged or not, what cam....

so i DO have a 302?.... mhmmm nice :icon_hornsup:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Could be either a 289 or a 302 with that block. Depends on which crank and rods are in it. "8B6" tells me the block was cast on Feb. 6, 1968. As Frank pointed out, your front mounted dipstick ain't gonna work with a rear sump pan. A peek inside the crankcase when you swap pans will tell you exactly what you've got and if it's got forged pistons. And do not toss any of those parts off the motor, they're all worth cash on ebay. That aluminum bracket on the front of the passenger side head brings about $15-20. The accessory brackets and pulleys go for about $40 or more.

83bagged

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Could be either a 289 or a 302 with that block. Depends on which crank and rods are in it. "8B6" tells me the block was cast on Feb. 6, 1968. As Frank pointed out, your front mounted dipstick ain't gonna work with a rear sump pan. A peek inside the crankcase when you swap pans will tell you exactly what you've got and if it's got forged pistons. And do not toss any of those parts off the motor, they're all worth cash on ebay. That aluminum bracket on the front of the passenger side head brings about $15-20. The accessory brackets and pulleys go for about $40 or more.
hmmm, ok then. ill just clean em up real good. still on the fence on the pulleys. i know i can get some nice looking v-belt ones. serpentines also... idk we will see

83bagged

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok well i see a few leaks from the head gaskets, only the drivers side. im not suprised, i mean it sat up for a while and they are just gaskets. no biggie

see?

they shouldnt be bad changing should they? i mean i didnt wanna pull the heads off, but i deffinatly wanna change both of them...

now off with the oil pan.

i didtn know what ya'll would want pics of. so i just snapped some. anything in particular let me know, ill get them for you

i want to put a high volume oil pump on it to. i heard thats a good investment

OH and i bought a 83-90 something fox body mustang dual sump pan

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals