• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Keep the 3.slow or do 4.0, or 5.0hh?

AAAlovesME

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0ohv
Transmission
Automatic
I am kind of in a dilemma...... I want to get my DD back on the street but at the same time I would rather spend the extra time & $$$ to do the bigger motor swap, so the question is.....what would be you're guy's opinion be, throw in another 3.slow (obviously easiest way out), or do the 4.0, or do the 5.0? I have been reading that the 4.0 is as much work at the 5.0, correct me if im wrong? I will be doing a fuel cell & would rather not cut into the firewall to push the motor back. Also, How much wiring do you think is going to be involved? Estimated price difference between 4.0 to 5.0 when all said & done? By the way i am in California & keeping it legal as it is my Daily Driver!

Thank you
-Mike

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
To put a different motor in, besides the engine, you'd have to at minimum replace the computer, wiring harness, and transmission. I'd stick with the 3.0, and spend the money that you'd spend on those "other" parts of an engine swap to give the 3.0 a boost. That way, you have both easy install, and a power increase. I know there's a whipple for sale on ranger power sports right now. Just sayin'. http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264463

AAAlovesME

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0ohv
Transmission
Automatic
To put a different motor in, besides the engine, you'd have to at minimum replace the computer, wiring harness, and transmission. I'd stick with the 3.0, and spend the money that you'd spend on those "other" parts of an engine swap to give the 3.0 a boost. That way, you have both easy install, and a power increase. I know there's a whipple for sale on ranger power sports right now. Just sayin'.
Well i know that i will be getting into the obvious wiring. Im just so tired of the 3.0, had them in the last 3 rangers. The manual i had was by far way faster then the auto i have now & i don't really want to go back to that & i don't want to put in all that work to make it manual. Im already set on going to a bigger motor. You guys might hate me but what do you think?

http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/trader/atl.cgi?ct=7&md=second&id=1861

Yea yea yea i know a chevy in a ford, but this is exactly what im looking for, everything, pretty much turn key! He said he would even throw in the gauge cluster & key.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like you've made your mind up! Good luck!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals