• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hard turning even after replacing power steering pump

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Oops hehe ok. So now that I did that, I will go turn the truck on, do I need to let it warm up completely?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
No, warmup is not needed...I would cycle a couple more times with enigine off since it spilled the first time, then with engine on...
SVT

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
ok. will do. drove it to see if driving was any easier, nope.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Some times you have to turn the wheel back and forth many times to get the air out. I have found that it helps to stop for a bit when the wheels are centered and the fluid level in the reservoir drops. Sometimes you will get bubbles then. I have heard a couple guys say that they had to turn back and forth upwards of 100 times to get all the air out. I have never personally had that happen but it does take a while regardless.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
well, I took it in, the gearbox was leaking like crazy they said, but they said that whatever is wrong is in the steering column. They said when they went to align the splines in the new gearbox, they had a hard time with the steering column.

What does that mean for me now? Do I have to replace the whole damn column?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
That sounds highly unlikely...When the wheels were in the air, was it just as hard to turn, or was it easier?? Is there a little slack in the steering, in other words, can you turn the wheel a little bit each way before the tires start turning, and if so, is this slack real easy?? If it was easier than that rules out the steering column...I still say its a high probability its the gearbox...
SVT

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well, when I had it jacked up, I was able to turn it pretty well, but still noticed a small amount of binding when turning left and right. There's the tiniest bit of play before they wheels start turning, but not a whole lot.

The shop said my gearbox was leaky, but I never saw any leaks. They said when they went to put on the new gearbox, and went to align the splines, they said the steering column was stiff to move. Once its finished, and I go pick it up tomorrow, I will find out what's going on.

If its the same as when I dropped it off, then I'm about ready to throw in the towel and sell the damn thing. I've spent more money on my explorer than I ever had with the subaru that I'd had before I bought this rig.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
then I'm about ready to throw in the towel and sell the damn thing. I've spent more money on my explorer...
I know the feeling, it seems everything on my rig is breaking down at the same time, first it was my front spiders stripping, then my trans started slipping shortly after, now I have low oil pressure and lifters ticking...its about to get a complete drivetrain swap if it keeps up...
SVT

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So with what I described, do you still think its just the gearbox?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I do, as long as I have been around Fords (no, I wont say how long:D) I have not heard of a steering column locking up or malfunctioning to the point of hard turning...
SVT

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hm ok. Well if I get it back, and its still doing the same damn thing, I don't know what I'm gonna do! I guess its possible I messed up the new pump if the high pressure line was clogged or not working like it was supposed to. The guys at the shop said the new pump was making excessive noise, especially when turning. That it was possible that pump failed...I do not know how often that happens, brand new pump fails right after install, but with all the crap I've had to deal with this rig, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the pump failed.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
IF thats the case, you should be able to swap the pump for a new one, I'm sure some type of warranty or something can be done since its within 30 days of purchase...
SVT

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah. I really hope it was just the gearbox, and that when I get it back things will be fine. I really really really don't wanna go thru the hassle of pulling off the ps pump pulley, then reinstalling it. That crap is a pain in the butt lol. Have spent the past three days trying to get this truck working....and I still don't have it back yet.

I also think something happened to my battery amongst all this chaos. Its not charging properly, have a new (less than 3 months old) alternator, don't remember if we charged the battery properly after that was installed. Then when this steering issue came up, before I replaced the pump and the belt tensioner, my truck died on me twice. Twice I had to have hubby jump me, and since I replaced the ps pump and belt tensioner, its been holding a charge, but not a full one.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't worry about that too much for now, the discharge a battery undergoes from cranking and the engine not running for a long period of time can actually drain a battery, due to the engine not running long enough for the altenator to charge the battery from cranking the engine
SVT

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ya I'm not too worried about that, got a bigger issue at hand lol. Crossin my fingers the new gearbox did the trick.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals