• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hard turning even after replacing power steering pump

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
ain't gonna blow anything up.

I drove my nova for a good 6 months like that, 60+ miles a day and never had anything else break from it.

How's the husband feel about your arms being bigger than his?

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
LOL! I WISH my arms were bigger than his! Then I wouldn't need his help to break loose bolts and crap lol.

Looks like I'll be saving up for a gearbox. Guess it still could be air in the lines of the power steering pump, but I need a second person to help me with that.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
No, what you need is a vacuum pump (about $50) at sears, and about 5 ft of air tubing and a closeable gang valve from your local fish store.

Set it up so that you can close off two sides of the valve, then find an adapter in the kit that will seal around the top of the PS reservoir. Put on tube on that adapter, one on the vac pump, and one in a bottle of fluid. Close off the fluid and open the pump, suck it down, close off the pump, and then open the fluid. Do that 3 or 4 times.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
How much fluid should it take to fill the system?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Yikes.

Is it bad to be driving with a bad gearbox?
Thats how I got my dually so cheap, the PO had drove it with the gearbox bad, before long the steering wheel broke from the tilt column from too much force being applied to the steering components...My dually is a 92, and I put on an 87 model gearbox, with no problems, you have a very good chance of finding a good used gearbox at the local junkyard for way cheaper than new, you might even find a yard that gives 30 day warranties on their parts...To properly bleed a power steering pump and lines, jack up the front tires, with the engine off and resevior filled, make several slow but steady lock to lock turns, checking fluid level regularly. After fluid level remains the same, start vehicle, and make a few lock to lock turns, when getting to lock, put slight pressure past lock and release, past lock again, then go to lock in other direction and repeat past lock pattern. Top fluid off and it is properly bled
SVT

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Thats how I got my dually so cheap, the PO had drove it with the gearbox bad, before long the steering wheel broke from the tilt column from too much force being applied to the steering components...My dually is a 92, and I put on an 87 model gearbox, with no problems, you have a very good chance of finding a good used gearbox at the local junkyard for way cheaper than new, you might even find a yard that gives 30 day warranties on their parts...To properly bleed a power steering pump and lines, jack up the front tires, with the engine off and resevior filled, make several slow but steady lock to lock turns, checking fluid level regularly. After fluid level remains the same, start vehicle, and make a few lock to lock turns, when getting to lock, put slight pressure past lock and release, past lock again, then go to lock in other direction and repeat past lock pattern. Top fluid off and it is properly bled
SVT
I would just like to point out that you have to apply a lot more force to turn the front wheels of a 250 vs an Explorer.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
You are correct adsm08 :icon_thumby: But it is still a safety concern I would not trust...I would drive it home as an emergency only, but not repetitively, my life and the lives of others on the road are not worth the risk...Sorry if its the lifesaving talk going on here, been saving lives for over 10 years it becomes a habit:icon_thumby:
SVT

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
LOL. I'll call around the junkyards tomorrow. Saw a couple on ebay for sale, but I really need to get my truck running again. can't spend all my money on premium gas for my mach 1.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You are correct adsm08 :icon_thumby: But it is still a safety concern I would not trust...I would drive it home as an emergency only, but not repetitively, my life and the lives of others on the road are not worth the risk...Sorry if its the lifesaving talk going on here, been saving lives for over 10 years it becomes a habit:icon_thumby:
SVT

Also a good point, if it would fail on the road that could be a major safety concern.

I never considered it with the Nova because it was so old that it really wasn't anything more than a manual steering system with a pump and power valve grafted on.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So what all is needed to change out the steering box?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
the box are pretty easy...AZ has a PS pump pulley puller/installer you can rent, and you will need to rent a pitman arm puller from AZ to change the gearbox....the pitman arm, 2 hydraulic lines, the steering rod and 3 or 4 bolts is all it takes for the gearbox, pretty straight forward and relatively easy...You will need an 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 socket for the pitman arm nut, the rest is 13, 15, or 17mm wrenches IIRC...
SVT
Not very hard, weighs about 40 lbs or so, you will need both hands to handle it...
SVT

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
box, ratchet/wrenches, fluid. Alignment is always good to have afterwards.

Get your wheels facing straight, center the new box, and put it in, that should get you close.

To center the new box, take a pair of vice grips and grab the knob, turn it all the way to one side, then go back the whole way to the other side and count how many rotations, then go back 1/2 that much.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok thanks guys. Will keep updated on progress.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
SVT

Ok, I did the bleeding with the engine off, and a crapload of fluid spilled out from the top of the reservoir. what does that mean?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Turned the wheel too fast/irratically...Slow and steady as to not make the air bubbles in the line force the fluid out of the resevior and make a mess...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals