• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hard turning even after replacing power steering pump

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
you need to get both moving free the front steering and the column and pump I would still break the column from the gearbox and see if the column is sticking you can start from the steering wheel and work your way to the tires put it 2 wd and lock the hubs and see if the front axel and u joinnts spin free turn the wheels side to side as you spin them to check for smooth movement and any u joint noises and yes get a grease gun with the flex tube and shoot some grease in everything with a zert especially your u-joints front and rear. nice tool for any back yard mechanic

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I turned the wheels side to side, and spun them. The u joints seem to be in working order, they moved without trouble. The wheels didn't spin very long, or very fast, dunno if they're supposed to. Heard kinda a rubbing noise, sounded like the brake area....not sure if that is really relevant. The wheels turned side to side no problem. I don't know what else to do. I can't get in enough to break the steering column free....unless someone has a trick to it. I got the bolt off that was holding the joint together up by the firewall, but its still held together by some other stuff. Wasn't sure how to get those loose.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I have not done one of those you need to start a new thread and someone who knows will chime in label it steering column removal

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Big flat-blade screwdriver. just pry them apart. The column is collapsible, but sometimes they get stuck.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok thanks. Will try to pry it loose tomorrow. Its completely dark now.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
If you haven't figured this out already, don't use a pickle fork on any joint with a rubber boot or you will **** it up. Parts stores don't sell the boots separately so it is important that they don't have holes in them.

Just needed to say that.

You need to get the column loose from the steering box. I thought on mine it was just two clamps and it was a bastard to get the linkage between the two off. But you need to do that however you can. That way you can spin the steering wheel when it is not connected to the steering box to see if it still sticks. If so the problem is the column.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I figured as much with the pickle fork. Glad I didn't go that route.

_BEYONDER_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just unbolted the bolts on the colum, and tapped carefully with a small hammer towards the firewall of my explorer and it came loose after a few minutes.

Read back, another member here already explained how to remove the entire column. You should be able to remove both the column, steering box and PS pump in about an hour and a half. Took me about an hour with 2 of us to do all 3.

Pickle forks are good for target practise on the side of your wall! ( great stress relief LOL ) ...thats about all......lol j/k

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I do not need to remove the gearbox. I just had that replaced. As for the PS pump, I don't know if that's the issue, so its not going anywhere. I am pretty sure its the column, cuz the guys at the tire shop said when they tried to get it to move to align it with the gearbox, it was really tough to turn. I'm guessing its the column. Now to find a
5 speed column will be the fun part.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I just have to say you already changed two parts that were probably good and we asked you to break the steering column loose and see if indeed that is the problem before you change it you can disconnect it from the gearbox and verify that is the problem before you change it have you tried getting to the bushings with some light weight oil and working it loose if the bushings are tite and not grinding a little oil might do the trick till you can find a replacement. the shaft coming out of the cab collapses you just need enough to spin it free of the gearbox squirt some pb blaster up there before you pry it up if it is real dirty there use some engine cleaner then blast it with water first then. I would try chemicals first at least till you get a replacement. Every column I have changed was a pain in the arse especially with all those wires so take ur time and look close how it came apart you dont want to forget something and have to do it again because the wire was on the wrong side or something. GL Kim

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I am gonna try oiling the parts, and see how it goes.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
YAY!! My steering issue is fixed! THanks to everyone here! IT WAS the steering column after all. I found a local junkyard here and they had one for $75! Wasn't that hard to remove/install either. I am SOOO happy! Wished I'd have done this first, woulda saved me A BUNCHA money!

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Cool so now you basically have a new steering system I was beginning to think you gave up and sold the truck it has been a while. Good job keep an eye on the fluid level and the belt tension

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
yeah, i had given up for awhile, cuz i couldn't find a local part. I just happened to go to this one junkyard yesterday before my Alanon meeting, and they just so happened to have one that matched perfectly!
Woulda been nice to have that done before i spent the money on the gearbox tho lol.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Only on curves.....

Seriously though....it may last 10 more years....or 10 more days....(I did have one go out on me once....I literally had to yank the steering wheel to get the truck to turn onto a sidestreet...good thing I wasn't doing 50mph in a curve!!!!!!!!!!!!)

the P/S gearbox on my '89 Ranger is getting to the point that it won't automatically re-center the steering wheel after making a turn...and it definately feels stiffer when turning corners........

I just put on a new P/S pump a couple months ago because the 'OEM pump was leaking so bad...(the new pump didn't improve the "feel" of the steering when making turns though)...

EDIT 6/28/10.............P/S gearbox rebuild is due!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals