• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front Driveline noise?

Cyberbeer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
After the recent blizzard we had here in VA, the stock hubs (I thought) started popping and clicking so I replaced them with some new Warns.

Today we got some more snow and my wife took the truck (1st mistake) and she described the same sound. When she home I took the truck out and it is in fact making the same kind of noise. Since the hubs are new I doubt they were the cause of the orginal noise. Could the U-Joints make this kind of noise? It makes the noise when the hubs are locked, with 4wd engaged or not. The noise usually starts at 20-25mph and gets worse as speed increases. Any ideas?

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
U-joints usually click, but anything possible.

Cyberbeer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You know when you open up a soda can and drop the little tab into the can and shake it around, that is what it sounds like.

Cyberbeer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The problem is becoming more frequent now. Today I had to cross my yard to park the truck cause my wife ganked the driveway entrance so she could get out for work. I locked in the hubs just in case I needed the 4wd to get across the yard. Anyway, drove through the yard in just 2wd and my wife said she heard the noise as soon as I started moving.

She described the noise as more of a clang like a cowbell of all things lol. I also noticed it seems to make the noise more frequently when I go over a bump or uneven surface. I had the axle pivot bushings and radius arm bushing replaced a year ago. I just put new shocks in. None of this should matter though since it only happens when the hubs are locked.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals