• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front crank/timing cover seal leak.... MAXIMUM ANNOYING

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work
So....... I just finished the timing job on my 4.0L SOHC. About 500 miles ago. I got under my truck today. to see if there were leaks. The rear main, upper, and lower oil pans do not appear to be leaking (maybe a bit of seepage from the rear main but I'm ok with that). So that's good. However the front crank seal appears to be leaking a decent amount. I did replace it during the timing job, with the included seal in the Fel-Pro front cover kit. My first indication should have been that I could push the seal into the bore in the cover with my fingers...... yea hindsight is 20/20. I did align it with the crank, not with the special tool but with the oil slinger and calipers, scooting it back and forth until centered so I doubt that's the reason. I also installed the seal to the same depth as the original, and maybe I shouldn't have done that.

Anyway, vent over. What I want to ask is a) what brand seal should I go with for round two of this replacement? And b) any tips or tricks to know for doing this? Silicone on the outside, (hopefully not) removing the timing cover and re-centering, etc. I really don't want to have to deal with the stupid crank pulley bolt any more than I have to.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
There are a lot of bad parts out there. Do a google search and see if anyone else has had a problem like yours.

On a different vehicle I was rebuilding the engine. The wise engineers decided to make the timing cover out of plastic, and incorporate the seal into the cover. So I bought the replacement setup from Dorman. It leaked. Tore the front of engine down, put another Dorman cover on it, leaked again. Did some google searching, I was not the only one having this problem, and someone mentioned they went with the A/C Delco part and no more leak for them. I tried it and sure enough, no more leak with the other brand cover.

So what are your choices from Ford on this seal? Is the timing cover plastic or metal?

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Hey @franklin2, sorry for the delayed response. I was dealing with the stupid little devil that is the dreaded rear spring hanger (PO only did one and left the other one for me.... yay).
It is an aluminum cover, with a simple bore for the seal. No shoulder, you just press it in to the "correct depth"- there is a special ford tool for that, but I just measured with calipers before removing the old one and reinstalled the new one to the same depth. I think part of the problem may be me not using the tool, I am not sure.

As far as new seals go, I have the following options:
BCA-(NTN's seal division)- $6.94
National- $7.03
Timken- $11.43
And finally the OEM ford seal, 5H2Z-6700-AA, for $22 at the local dealer.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I haven't done a front seal on a SOHC cam engine but plenty on OHVs... the process sounds similar, just a simple bore with no shoulder. I am not sure that seal depth matters though as long as it is past the edge of the bore - the balancer has about 1/2" of sealing surface for the seal lip to ride on. So on OHV engines there can be several failure points -

- the seal lip can partially roll over on itself as the balancer is inserted
- if there is a groove from an old seal on the balancer, it may never seal in that one spot
- if the timing cover is not aligned with the balancer, the seal will not be centered on the balancer
- if the seal is grossly crooked, it may cause a leak

Any one of those is pretty easy to do... especially the first one. Just had that happen a couple days ago, it is very hard to see even with the engine out of the truck. I have another front seal that is leaking and I'm guessing it's because of that.

A very annoying place to find a leak, to say the least. I would almost rather pull a transmission and replace a rear main that do a front main with the engine in the truck.

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
I haven't done a front seal on a SOHC cam engine but plenty on OHVs... the process sounds similar, just a simple bore with no shoulder. I am not sure that seal depth matters though as long as it is past the edge of the bore - the balancer has about 1/2" of sealing surface for the seal lip to ride on. So on OHV engines there can be several failure points -

- if there is a groove from an old seal on the balancer, it may never seal in that one spot
- if the timing cover is not aligned with the balancer, the seal will not be centered on the balancer

Any one of those is pretty easy to do... especially the first one. Just had that happen a couple days ago, it is very hard to see even with the engine out of the truck. I have another front seal that is leaking and I'm guessing it's because of that.

A very annoying place to find a leak, to say the least. I would almost rather pull a transmission and replace a rear main that do a front main with the engine in the truck.
Good to know.
The SOHC is pretty easy, the hardest part is the devil bolt that has NO NEED to be as tight as it is

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
One trick I learned over many years of building race engines is to smear a little grease on the seal to lubricate the sealing surface at start up before oil gets on it to lubricate it. A dry seal can result in a lot of wear before oil gets to it.

I used all OEM parts when I rebuilt the cam timing chain system about 50K miles ago. Still no leaks but a little dampness near the rear main seal. I never see a drop on the ground though.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Good to know.
The SOHC is pretty easy, the hardest part is the devil bolt that has NO NEED to be as tight as it is
The crank bolt? My M18 mid torque 3/8 impact removes those easily… not that tight… unless you only have hand tools, then it sucks.

I use Vaseline to lube up seal lips.

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
The crank bolt? My M18 mid torque 3/8 impact removes those easily… not that tight… unless you only have hand tools, then it sucks.

It’s not loosening, it’s tightening that’s the issue

My impact will remove it just fine lol.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I use Vaseline on seals that contact water but prefer grease on seals that contact oil. No specific reasoning, it is just what I do.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
It’s not loosening, it’s tightening that’s the issue

My impact will remove it just fine lol.
This is what I use to hold the balancer:
chain.PNG

You can wedge it against something or just hold it, torque spec on those is 30-37ft/lbs IIRC with another 90 degrees past that to get to TTY. If you have a long 1/2" drive torque wrench for some leverage it's pretty easy.

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
This is what I use to hold the balancer:
View attachment 107427

You can wedge it against something or just hold it, torque spec on those is 30-37ft/lbs IIRC with another 90 degrees past that to get to TTY. If you have a long 1/2" drive torque wrench for some leverage it's pretty easy.
Good to know. I have a wimpy rubber strap wrench, but I have a feeling it’s not gonna work good enough.

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Looking for a chain wrench now- is that a 12” or a 24”?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Edit - 12" one is what I have

Yeah those chain strap wrenches don't look useful but once you have one, you will find all sorts of uses for it. No pipe wrench big enough? chain wrench... need to torque stuff like this? chain wrench.. need to turn something awkward? chain wrench... you get the idea. One of the best $20 I have spent on tools.

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
I’ve thought about getting one for a while, I’d have all sorts of uses for it. Having an actual repair that needs it is, as usual, what pushes me over the edge.

Once again, thank you all for your help!

Now to deal with my local ford dealer’s parts department, because I don’t wanna wait for shipping. Yay.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual

I forgot to mention to look for the groove in the balancer. You will have to take it back off to see it. Most high mileage engines do wear a groove in the balancer. They make repair sleeves to fix it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals