• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Frame Prep for POR 15 coating

Vindictus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
ReMan 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
I decided I should do something about my rusty Ranger
IMG_7626.JPG IMG_7627.JPG
pulled the box so I can start on the frame
IMG_7615.JPG IMG_7616.JPG
started beating and scraping and then took the wire brush to it IMG_7629.JPG I picked up a cheap electric pressure washer and gave it a bath IMG_7631.JPGIMG_7628.JPG

I pulled the bumper, pulled the wiring back. removed that carbon box fuel thingy mounted on the front of the spare tire carrier and found this IMG_7643.JPG I have everything here to fix it if I can remember how to weld. It's been 15 years at least.

And more rust IMG_7634.JPGIMG_7635.JPG I also found these 2 small spots but with POR 15 going on both sides I'm not going to fix them IMG_7641.JPGIMG_7642.JPG

Tonight I went at the rear spring mounts, on a side note i'm really liking this Milwaukie impact gun. Wasn't sure getting the 3/4 drive was the right choice but it twisted those rusty shackles like pretzels.
So out came the Sawzall and cut it off. It looks like the trailor hitch needs to come off so I can get the bolt out of the spring IMG_7645.JPG

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
For s rusty truck like that, I have found this thing from harbor freight works really well at knocking those layers of rust loose.

They call is a needle descaler. I bought their cheaper one, but I see they do not sell it anymore, only the more expensive one.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I drilled the rivets and cut off my spring hangers with an air chisel because a torch makes too much of a mess. I'd ideally weld or at least bolt reinforcements to any holes in the frame itself- you'll never be closer to it. The instructions with the POR 15 I used said to knock off the loose rust and then coat it, if the metal is too clean the POR won't stick well.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
To knock out rivets I use a 4.5" grinder and cut a cross in the rivet head. Then a hammer and chisel makes short work of popping the left over head off. Next a hammer and punch to get rid of the body of the rivet. A 1/2" step drill bit works great to enlarge the holes for bolts. Drill one hole, loosely bolt the bracket on, drill second hole and bolt both tight. Then drill out the rest.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I drilled the rivets and cut off my spring hangers with an air chisel because a torch makes too much of a mess. I'd ideally weld or at least bolt reinforcements to any holes in the frame itself- you'll never be closer to it. The instructions with the POR 15 I used said to knock off the loose rust and then coat it, if the metal is too clean the POR won't stick well.
That's what I do. I center punch and drill with a small drill bit, and then drill with a larger bit, about the size of the rivet shank till I get to the depth of the frame, then a couple of wacks with a hammer and chisel knocks it right off.

A 3/8 bolt will slip right through the hole with some play. If you want it tighter, you can use 7/16 bolts but you will have to drill the hole out a little bit. That is the good thing about rivets, when they hammer them in place at the factory they swell up tight in the hole, unlike a bolt. But bolts seem to work ok.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I've found that grinding the rivet body (not just the head) flush to the frame makes pushing the rivet through much easier.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I've found that grinding the rivet body (not just the head) flush to the frame makes pushing the rivet through much easier.
There have been times where I had to drill out the center of the rivet in oder to get the thing to knock out.

Have I mentioned that Murphy and his damn law likes to follow me around?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've messed with frame rivets one time. I tried drilling and chizel (air and manual), didn't work well for me. I tried cutting a X in the head and chiseling, didn't work well for me. What I found to work best for me was the 4.5" grinder with a coarse flap sanding disk. Quickly removed the rivet heads, then a punch and hammer knocked them out of the frame.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Scrap the whole por15 idea.. I've seen it fail too many times to ever consider the cost & hassle worth it.

Corroseal, then fluid film. If your feeling froggy.. corroseal, implement paint, then fluid film.

Vindictus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
ReMan 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
For s rusty truck like that, I have found this thing from harbor freight works really well at knocking those layers of rust loose.

They call is a needle descaler. I bought their cheaper one, but I see they do not sell it anymore, only the more expensive one.

@ranklin2 I looked at getting one of those but my big compressor is not hooked up and I cooked one of my small compressors sand blasting the other weekend.
Had to settle for the wire brush and small ball pein hammer

Vindictus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
ReMan 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
To knock out rivets I use a 4.5" grinder and cut a cross in the rivet head. Then a hammer and chisel makes short work of popping the left over head off. Next a hammer and punch to get rid of the body of the rivet. A 1/2" step drill bit works great to enlarge the holes for bolts. Drill one hole, loosely bolt the bracket on, drill second hole and bolt both tight. Then drill out the rest.
I cut most of the hanger out of the way with Sawzall ground the rivets flat and knocked them out with punch and trusty 3lbs sheldge. With by the way if your knocking out a universal joint with it do not look up at big brested lady while swinging it removes thumb nail in an instant

Vindictus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
ReMan 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
Scrap the whole por15 idea.. I've seen it fail too many times to ever consider the cost & hassle worth it.

Corroseal, then fluid film. If your feeling froggy.. corroseal, implement paint, then fluid film.
Thanks for the advice @Blmpkn but I have it all preped por15 bought. I'm gong to coat it tomorrow. Your only a couple hundred miles west of me you know the salt eats everything I'm just trying to slow it a bit

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
With by the way if your knocking out a universal joint with it do not look up at big brested lady while swinging it removes thumb nail in an instant
I'm not sure whether to laugh or cringe. Atleast you weren;t using the sawzall at the time.

In light of this, I feel like I should advise keeping the hootus put away while working with the POR15. It's not Herculiner, but I suspect the outcome wouldn't be much better.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I'm not sure whether to laugh or cringe. Atleast you weren;t using the sawzall at the time.

In light of this, I feel like I should advise keeping the hootus put away while working with the POR15. It's not Herculiner, but I suspect the outcome wouldn't be much better.
Hard to believe that was over twenty years ago now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals