• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Frame Prep for POR 15 coating

Vindictus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
ReMan 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
Very good!

When it comes to fighting rust, I'm kind of a belt-and-suspenders guy.

I bought a cheap $80.00 media blaster to remove the scaley rust. The blaster will go faster and get into the corners where the wire brush won't reach.

POR 15 works wonders but it will not penetrate the thicker stuff. They've got a product to apply before you paint.

Also POR 15 is only a primer. I bought a couple cans of Rustoleum Rust Encapsulator to go over the top. Spray paints alone won't last long on the frame. They need to be sealed too. Spray polyurethane or urethane will seal and last for a few years.

And if you want your exhaust system to last, It might be worth it to give it a couple coats of Rustoleum high temperature paint. Most spray ceramic coatings do not work as well.

Good luck!
I have a decent sand blaster but my big compressor is not running and I killed one of my small compressor blasting a bike frame for a friend a few weeks ago. Up grading the service on my house Friday. Then I can look at putting power in garage

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I was going to topcoat it like you said but the can of tremclad I thought was grey is canary yellow. So I'm stuck sanding it before I topcoat it.
You will get a good bond anyway. i'm pretty sure

Vindictus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
ReMan 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
I got it topcoated over the weekend. Picked up a gallon of Amor Coat rust paint and gave it 3 coats.
Started like this IMG_7614.JPG and ended with this P1011194.JPG
I started puttingit back together tonight. Got the trailor hitch back on. The carbon fuel box thingy back in place and the wire harness pulled back in place.
Got to dark for any pic's

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I got it topcoated over the weekend. Picked up a gallon of Amor Coat rust paint and gave it 3 coats.
Started like this View attachment 94934 and ended with this View attachment 94935
I started puttingit back together tonight. Got the trailor hitch back on. The carbon fuel box thingy back in place and the wire harness pulled back in place.
Got to dark for any pic's
Very good , especially with a top coat

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
That came out nice.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals