• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electric Turbo?

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Electric powered superchargers have been around for a long time in various forms. They can be made to produce boost. But their use in automobile applications is not practical. If they were, you would see them in abundance.

Nothing much simpler than using the engines exhaust to create and control boost on a small, lightweight device to produce more power.

If one wants to fool with one of these things for fun and knowledge, fine, but the feasibility of using it for a daily driver would get very complicated. Those of us who have played with turbos, and belt driven devices know this very well. They can present more head scratching problems tyring to make them operate properly without the addition of more "gimicks".:)shady

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
electric blowers have been done but there no where near the effeciency /cost o fa turbocharger.
it will take up more space
maintance will be an issue
you will need a heavy elecrtical system period that will cost alot. Yo uwill need multiple batteries and a good battery can cost up to 100$ and more.

alrighty, you're just going around in circles now. those are all non-issues that ive already addressed in previous posts. theres no point in continuing the conversation at this point (not trying to sound like an ass, i just dont like repeating myself...thats why i dont like kids).

someday when im rich and famous, ill build this system for shits and giggles and let everyone know how well it does/doesnt work :icon_thumby:

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
sounds good build it but im not going to waste my time lol

If you want to look into something different how about the new rotex superchargers that have a effeciency range of 80% which is about the effeciency of a turbocharger.
http://www.rotrex.dk/

Also who are you calling a Kid? How many custom boosted setups have you built?
Heres my next round of boost....

Last edited:

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
that looks pretty sweet, but i hope you don't plan running that thing with nylon rope holding the turbo's lol.

The Fox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have seen something like this in a drag car someone I know built. But it was an electric blower on the top of his 572 big block. Reason was because he was using his horse power boost to drive the blower over. 4hp 24volt motor with its own seperate battery, and a custom mount to hold the motor.

I don't think the OP's idea would work, squirrel cages are for volume, not pressure. You are better off using an existing turbo or a screw compressor.
Nick

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What some of you dont get is turbo boost isnt something that is linear.

There is a reason why centrifugal superchargers have such large compressor wheels and housings, because they operate at much lower RPM's. They also have specially shaped compressor wheels that dont even resemble a turbo wheel.

Also you have to put compressor efficiency into play. If you were to use, lets say a 2.3T garrett .60 a/r compressor and ran it at 18k (10 times the 1800rpm if the motor). You wouldnt have crap for boost because it has such poor flow characteristics at that RPM, so most of that "1hp" is being turned into heat, and not flow or boost.

For it to work, you would have to have a compressor wheel that was efficient at such a low RPM. Not only do they not make compressors like that, but they would be HUGE.

If it was so easy and 1hp=10hp, than why does a supercharger rob so much power from an engine???

What it comes down to, is its simply not practical. It is WAY more efficient to just run a turbo off of your exhaust.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
so an electric motor creates 1800 rpm and a turbo makes 70000, so if we install a 1:38 transfer or chain drive, youll have an effective ratio on the speed of the turbine. after that you couple the right size compressor to the rotating assembly and youll have a unit that moves just as fast as a turbo, and if your worried about over charging the engine just put it on an electric clutch like a lawn mower or your a/c compressor does. then it can free wheel just like turbo does, and if you use a compressor half off of a turbo you may even be able to use a wastegate or blowoff valve too and act just like a turbo setup. hell if you install the transfer you may even get the lil electric motor to produce as much boost as a turbo setup and make it emulate one entirely. hell if you dont use a/c like me you have plenty of room to put the thing too. food for thought to say the least...

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
this post again?

electric supercharging has already been done. it works. its not up for arguement anymore.

the only arguement here is wether or not its cost effective...which remains to be seen because noone has tried to scrap build one on the cheap (that we know of).

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
IT WONT WORK with a conventional compressor housing. IF you dont believe me, build it yourself to find out, quit saying this CRAP that it hasnt been done so you dont know. I KNOW it wont work, because unless you spin the compressor housing where its efficient, you will create NO boost, it is not a positive displacement pump, like a roots or twin screw.

Good luck spinning the thing to 70k with a 1hp motor and a 39-1 reduction, the motor simply wont do it.

What it comes comes down to, is even if you could do it with a 1hp motor (which you wont) it is far easier to run 4 or less feet of exhaust tubing to a turbine housing, and control it with a wastegate.

You look like a freakin idiot trying to act like your right in this situation, YOU build it and find out your wrong.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
sounds like we hit a sore spot.

im not going to continue a conversation with an irrational aliterate. do some research and crunch the numbers yourself. its been done. it works.

bye bye.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
HAHAHHAHA!!!

Im the irrational aliterate one????

Dude, you need to read up, learn how a compressor map works.

IT HASENT been done with a conventional turbo compressor housing, nor will it because it wont work!

Only somebody who doesnt understand would argue your point.

Yes we know a Roots type positive displacement blower works with a low RPM setup, and very poorly may I say, not anywhere near as good as a turbo or even a crank driven setup. But you cant just put a turbo compressor on an electric motor and expect to make boost.

If YOU can PROVE me wrong, Ill gladly concede to you.

2rangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2 - 93
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm with Wicked

Hello all, a new guy here. Proud owner of not one - but two - Ford Rangers. Identical twins. 93's, 2.3 manual, same color. I really like this truck - tuff little bugger. But like everyone else, I'm not happy with the power output. For a few weeks now I've been reading, watching and listening, trying to figure out which modifications are the most feasible solution to the Power Problem. I'm not one who's interested in a sure-fire, high-cost solution (like a turbo). Just DYI mods that will produce noticable results, maybe 20 to 30 horses. In the coming weeks I'll undertake a (not so) scientific approach to producing additional power from the 2.3, starting with the simplest and easiest to the more difficult and creative, stacking one on top of the other to see which mod produces the best results. One of those will be a poor man's electric "supercharger". It makes some sense to me and I believe it can be done cheaply. I'll make reports and provide pictures at every step. And the beauty of having 2 identcal Rangers is that it will allow me to measure one against the other. One will remain bone stock - the other, modified.

I'm looking forward to the challenge and welcome your thoughts and ideas.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
id be interested in seeing it done. every number ive crunched on the subject says it should be possible. youve got your work cut out for you though, so dont get discouraged, especially if people bash on you for thinking outside the box.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
im w/ sludge on this one, as im going to do a 3.3 turbo build cuz its rare and possibly never been done in a ranger, your attempting the rare/possibly never done junkyard 2.3 electric super. by all means its dif, its outside the box, and personally id like to see it tried, if i had another trk laying around i would try it to just to see if it can be done. ive pondered the idea yrs ago w/ motorcycle systems but never wanted to try it cuz i was afraid i would simply short out the stator system, but w/ multiple alternators on a trk (which has been done b4 if you dont believe me look at a military CUCV) you have ample fluctuating electrical current to power the unit, the hardest thing about it would be placement of the motor and blower. im behind you on this one, go forth and show us what can and cant be done and if its plausible my fellow builder!:icon_welder:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals