• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electric Turbo?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
That motor only spins at 1800 rpm. Do you think that would be enough to make 2 psi in order to make the 10 horsepower you claim that it would.
its all in the gearing my friend. a centrifugal supercharger will make boost at 3,000 or less engine RPM because the compressor is geared to spin much faster than the input. you will have to gear your electric motor to spin the compressor at whatever speed it makes its peak CFM at.

my point is the motor your talking about cant even do the job
it takes 1 HP to produce the boost levels we are aiming for. that motor produces one horsepower. it will need to be geared to increase its RPM, but this does not change its output power (remember, horsepower is a function of torque AND RPM).

Also tyurbochargers have specially designed housings and compressor wheels to compress air.
i suggested using the compressor housing from a production turbocharger...not re-using a bildge blower.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Wicked- Although it is possible to do what your saying, I agree with you, makes sense. But your not actually saying it's practical for the said application right? I mean, that's a lot of work and $$ for some 10 ponies..

Your argument is just that it can be done right?....

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
fabbing up a turbo is a lot of work too. a small boost application like this likely wont require fuel system mods...so that takes a lot of work out of the equation too.

the hardest part being attaching the motor to the blower housing, i dont think its that complicated. using a centrifugal supercharger which already has the gearing inside it would eleiminate even more work.

until someone tries it and works out all the little unforseen problems, we wont know how practical it is....but as it stands, i dont think its that much more work than, say, regearing the rear axles, doing a P&P, or other similar small-power mods.

Bill G

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 2.8
Transmission
Manual
I have been doing a little bit of reading today and have found various sites with electric turbos on them. Youtube has some of the funniest ones. I have found one place that has a real electric turbo and the dyno numbers to back it up. http://www.boosthead.com/product.php
The cost is in the $2500.00 range. That's an a lot of money for 6 psi.
Here is a article with a few pictures.
http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0406tur_knight_turbo_electric_supercharger/index.html

I have also found lots of places that sell worked over bildge pumps. One example is down below.
http://www.autoaccessorystore.com/blowerinfo.asp

I now stand corrected that you can build a electric turbo that works but it isn't really worth the cost. You could build a conventional turbo system for a third of the cost and it would be more effective. I guess you could always stick a leaf blower in your intake for a low cost solution.

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I spent about 2500 turboing mine and it gave about a 300-350% increase on the stock output.

Soooo, spend 2500 for 6 psi (with the boosthead kit which works for 15 seconds at a time) and 150 hp or spend 2500 for 27 psi and 325 hp...

Tough choice.

ccrunner1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
use an electric leafblower instead. 185mph (wind speed) has to do something

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
BUYING a kit isnt your only option. just like some guys have fabbed up turbos for their trucks for less than $500, im sure with enough junkyard scavanging, an electric turbo could be had for cheap too.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Actually, a company makes a product similar to this, i'll look around to find a link. but they claim 1-2 psi increase. I wish i could remember the site, argh.

Point being, it IS possible and a company felt it provided enough of a boost to mass produce and market it. Can't be that crazy if someone decided to mass produce it... link coming.

burningRANGERtires

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
fabbing up a turbo is a lot of work too. a small boost application like this likely wont require fuel system mods...so that takes a lot of work out of the equation too.

the hardest part being attaching the motor to the blower housing, i dont think its that complicated. using a centrifugal supercharger which already has the gearing inside it would eleiminate even more work.

until someone tries it and works out all the little unforseen problems, we wont know how practical it is....but as it stands, i dont think its that much more work than, say, regearing the rear axles, doing a P&P, or other similar small-power mods.
Fabbing up a turbo kit will be alot easier than building a custom electric blower. It can work wit hlots of cash but it still woulnt be more effecient that a turbocahrger period. As for small boost application you can easily adjust a turbocahrger by adjusting the wastegate to see less boost. I could make a few mods to my wastegate setup to only see 2 psi. Also my fuel system is stock minus 21lb injectors for 5psi. The boost also can come on before 2000 and hold a steady 5 psi until redline. you wil lstill have to figure out how to balance the compressor shaft:icon_confused: anmd why use a centrifugal setup and not drive it off the belt?

Also dont forget that even with the gearing of a centrifugal the motor still has to spin 3-4000 before making boost:icon_thumby: so you will have to have a motor capable of 4000 rpms lets say that will suck alot of juice down so there better be a massive onboard electrical system

next how about maintancance? lets see DC motors need the brushes changed out alot and constantly checked out. Not to mention any high output/high rpm motor can live a short life as where a turbocharger can see 200,000+ miles at 70,000+ rpms.

It can work but for a cost stand point and performance they both are thumbs down. it would be such a waste of money. i turbocharged my 4.0 for 150$ in a weekend. Its worked great for over 10,000 miles now and easily boosts the 4.0 up to 17+psi if i wanted to turn it up. I als odidnt give up and fuel economy to do this. The turbocahrger and exhaust piping dosent even weigh that much. i have less exhaust pipe on my truck then came stock.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
Fabbing up a turbo kit will be alot easier than building a custom electric blower. It can work wit hlots of cash but it still woulnt be more effecient that a turbocahrger period.
as i said before, the only critical joint that needs to be fabbed is the connection between motor and compressor....so i guess "easier" is subjective. as for the money, all these parts can be found in a junkyard. electric motors go for nothing and if you could find a turbo with a wrecked turbine you could get it for dirt cheap. i never said this would be more effective than a turbo...not sure where you got that idea :icon_confused:

Also my fuel system is stock minus 21lb injectors for 5psi.
you also ran lean and burnt the crap out of the inside of your motor....ive seen the pics :icon_thumby:

Also dont forget that even with the gearing of a centrifugal the motor still has to spin 3-4000 before making boost:icon_thumby: so you will have to have a motor capable of 4000 rpms lets say that will suck alot of juice down so there better be a massive onboard electrical system.
you can change the pulley diameter of a centrifugal blower to make boost down low just like you can adjust a turbo or roots blower to do the same. they are generally high-reving blowers, but they can make boost under 2,000 RPM....especially if its only 2PSI we're talking about. granted we wouldnt be using a pulley for our application, we'd have to use gearing. and a 1HP motor turning 4,000RPM wont use any more juice than a 1HP motor turning 2,000 RPM. 1HP is 1HP...they will both draw slightly more than 1HP from the alternator.

next how about maintancance? lets see DC motors need the brushes changed out alot and constantly checked out. Not to mention any high output/high rpm motor can live a short life as where a turbocharger can see 200,000+ miles at 70,000+ rpms.
maintainence will be nill. electric motors are far more reliable than gas engines. there are EV conversion guys out there with over 100,000 miles on their motors on the original brushes....and those motors put out many times the power and RPM that this application needs. even the blower motor in my truck has survived 130,000 miles and its a lot cheaper (with its copper bushing bearings) and thus, less reliable than a "real" motor. and replacing brushes...even if its every 30,000 miles, takes a wopping 10 minutes.

you seem vehemently opposed to the idea for some reason, but you have yet to come up with any real reasons why it shouldnt be done. you keep making excuses but none of them hold water. is it so hard to admit that this might be vaguely possible? :icon_confused:

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
double post

Last edited:

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
as i said before, the only critical joint that needs to be fabbed is the connection between motor and compressor....so i guess "easier" is subjective. as for the money, all these parts can be found in a junkyard. electric motors go for nothing and if you could find a turbo with a wrecked turbine you could get it for dirt cheap. i never said this would be more effective than a turbo...not sure where you got that idea :icon_confused:

you also ran lean and burnt the crap out of the inside of your motor....ive seen the pics :icon_thumby:

you can change the pulley diameter of a centrifugal blower to make boost down low just like you can adjust a turbo or roots blower to do the same. they are generally high-reving blowers, but they can make boost under 2,000 RPM....especially if its only 2PSI we're talking about. granted we wouldnt be using a pulley for our application, we'd have to use gearing. and a 1HP motor turning 4,000RPM wont use any more juice than a 1HP motor turning 2,000 RPM. 1HP is 1HP...they will both draw slightly more than 1HP from the alternator.

maintainence will be nill. electric motors are far more reliable than gas engines. there are EV conversion guys out there with over 100,000 miles on their motors on the original brushes....and those motors put out many times the power and RPM that this application needs. even the blower motor in my truck has survived 130,000 miles and its a lot cheaper (with its copper bushing bearings) and thus, less reliable than a "real" motor. and replacing brushes...even if its every 30,000 miles, takes a wopping 10 minutes.

you seem vehemently opposed to the idea for some reason, but you have yet to come up with any real reasons why it shouldnt be done. you keep making excuses but none of them hold water. is it so hard to admit that this might be vaguely possible? :icon_confused:
first off i ran lean becasue i pushed over 17 psi on a stock ecu /stock fuel system. i have now turned the boost down to 5psi on new Hgs and added 21# injectros. also my truck was out pumping boost in the snow today

Second electric blowers have been done but there no where near the effeciency /cost o fa turbocharger. there not fesible....it will cost more/less performance/it will take up more space/maintance will be an issue (I am a maintance worker i help maintain Dc motor on heavy machinery at work they do require way more maintanace/you will need a heavy elecrtical system period that will cost alot. Yo uwill need multiple batteries and a good battery can cost up to 100$ and more.

It is possible but what is to be gained by doing it? Theres nothing to be gained over a turbocharger or even a blower. Not cost, Not effeciency, Not durability, Not ease of install, Not adjustability, Not performance, It will Not weigh less actually a electric blower will weigh alot more

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals