• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

du hell is wrong with my truck?!?

Ak907Girl

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/ 11,370Miles
Transmission
Manual
battery is fine, oil is fine, belts are fine, I don't know too much about where everything is in my engine. So far since I've owned the truck I changed out the alternator, new spark plugs, new timing belt, new serp belt, new blower motor, new spark plug lines, and new battery. Not a single bit of carrosion on the battery, I keep it nice and clean. I put fuel injector cleaner in once a month like its a religion. My previous vehicle had a plugged up CAT, which is what it seems to be acting like, but I'm not sure, I'd check but it's current like -2 degrees outside and I don't have a garage, nor a jack. lol

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
vacumm leak maybe? the vac line to my brake booster came off and it sputtered and whatnot. but hell I don't know much about diagnosing engine problems haha
If it was a vacume leak it most likely would be constant and this problem seems to be intermittent.:dunno:

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
battery is fine, oil is fine, belts are fine, I don't know too much about where everything is in my engine. So far since I've owned the truck I changed out the alternator, new spark plugs, new timing belt, new serp belt, new blower motor, new spark plug lines, and new battery. Not a single bit of carrosion on the battery, I keep it nice and clean. I put fuel injector cleaner in once a month like its a religion. My previous vehicle had a plugged up CAT, which is what it seems to be acting like, but I'm not sure, I'd check but it's current like -2 degrees outside and I don't have a garage, nor a jack. lol
I have a manual for it if you need to borrow it. Im midtown on C street.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
-2 isn't too bad...oh, you mean US dollars...that's different...

There's not much to these engines...but troubleshooting can be a bit daunting at first...seems like you know about maintenance though...I'd check the fuel pressure if you can get it running...or have someone check the codes...if no codes then it can be a bit costly swapping in parts...

Codes can...sometimes...

Ak907Girl

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/ 11,370Miles
Transmission
Manual
I've got a manual for it, I'm just still learning how to work on it. I'm over off Northwood and 88th.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've got a manual for it, I'm just still learning how to work on it. I'm over off Northwood and 88th.
PM sent, check your inbox.

Ak907Girl

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/ 11,370Miles
Transmission
Manual
I'm gonna cut out the CAT and see if that fixes it. It'll run just fine till the CAT gets hot then it'll idle rough, but still kind of run. Now the question is to Straight pipe or spend $300+ on a new CAT.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well, if you cut out the cat and it runs better, a new cat would be in order...the old one might help offset the cost...scrap yards pay cash for them due to the platinuim...depends on the year though...might be worth checking out...

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm gonna cut out the CAT and see if that fixes it. It'll run just fine till the CAT gets hot then it'll idle rough, but still kind of run. Now the question is to Straight pipe or spend $300+ on a new CAT.
If the catalytic converter were plugged, partially or wholly, the problem should be constant. I'm wondering if its the O2 sensor, but I don't know of a way to test them.

88SXT

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sorry, i missed if you had checked the fuel pressure. i would check that since a fuel pump/filter is cheaper than a new cat

RatDog8o8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The deciding factor in the new cat vs straight pipe issue would be if local and/or state regs require one for emissions compliance. I don't have one on my '92, but there's no state inspection here.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
That is a good start check all the vacuum lines for cracks or loose fitting ends. Pull the PCV valve and shake it if it dont rattle replace it. +1 on the visual inspection look for any cracked loose wires maybe a intermittent short somewhere or a bad ground. GL

flyinryne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
When i worked for ford used to see this sorta thing happen all the time on the 2300's, Expecially when it started getting cold...usually Idle air control valve is sticking, EGR sticking,or throttle position sensor taking a dump. Idle air is cheap just buy another one anyways if you havent done it in a long time, you can usually check the TPS with a multimeter pretty eacy, and egr just buy some carb and choke cleaner and a wire brush and have at it.

Ak907Girl

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/ 11,370Miles
Transmission
Manual
Ak doesnt require ims anymore, and its starting to be more consistan it the more i drive it around. It starts dieing when its warm.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ZMan
    Forum Staff Member

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals