• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dhkonrad's 93 ford ranger

dhkonrad

2013 Offroad TOTY
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
2013 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Why'd they pull you over?
Apparently my licence plates that were on there (they came with the truck) did not match my registration. The last digit was 1 off. The truck that the plates belonged to was reported stolen 1 year ago in LA, and so when the police ran my plates, the truck came back stolen. They followed me for quite a while before they pulled me over, and did so once they had backup....
After about 40 minutes they ended up just confiscating my plates. Probably one of the most enjoyable interactions I have had with law enforcement ever. They were very respectful, very understanding, and never once accused me of anything.

2004xlmiller

March 2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
perfect point to say f smog and register it up there haha. 5.0 swap...

dhkonrad

2013 Offroad TOTY
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
2013 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
perfect point to say f smog and register it up there haha. 5.0 swap...
I wish. IF I'm not mistaken they still have to smog up here. I think engine swaps though don't have to be refereed. I'll have to look into it. I see vans parked on the side of the road with signs that say mobile smog testing. If they're legit i guess that means no dyno, And it would seem no where near as uptight as cali...

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Apparently my licence plates that were on there (they came with the truck) did not match my registration. The last digit was 1 off. The truck that the plates belonged to was reported stolen 1 year ago in LA, and so when the police ran my plates, the truck came back stolen. They followed me for quite a while before they pulled me over, and did so once they had backup....
After about 40 minutes they ended up just confiscating my plates. Probably one of the most enjoyable interactions I have had with law enforcement ever. They were very respectful, very understanding, and never once accused me of anything.
I imagine that was pretty fun trying to explain that. Thats nice that they werent complete rtards. Believe it or not i had that happen to me once, but dmv was thd,one that got the paperwork jacked up. The officer asked me if i had stole the plate or made it. That was in Lincoln.haha

dhkonrad

2013 Offroad TOTY
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
2013 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I imagine that was pretty fun trying to explain that. Thats nice that they werent complete rtards. Believe it or not i had that happen to me once, but dmv was thd,one that got the paperwork jacked up. The officer asked me if i had stole the plate or made it. That was in Lincoln.haha
Yeah, it was pretty awkward.
It was awesome. Even with 3 cops there, they were all very nice, very chill. Kinda had the attitude of "just need to get it taken care of". My insurance card was even 2 months out of date, and they just mentioned it, nothing more.
They think that the DMV messed up this one too. Just issued the wrong plates when the truck was initially registered eons ago. Just now became an issue.

dhkonrad

2013 Offroad TOTY
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
2013 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I haven't gotten around to any real wheeling, but I have a poser-ish shot

I didn't find any really good and bumpy roads, but on semi smooth dirt roads it seemed pretty solid. No perceivable bumpsteer or anything. And the front end didn't fall apart... My two worries. I am especially worried about the latter...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3PM5iCmh48

I have a little bit of something going on when I'm going down the freeway. I wouldn't really call it a wandering, but it starts to wander to one side, and turning the wheel slowly doesn't respond until it the truck kinda jumps back. It could be the fact that I didn't get it professionally aligned, or it could be the fact that the Tie rod kinda rolls, because I still haven't fixed that. It also steers a lot slower. I didn't realize the knuckles were that different between the d35 and the d44, but it must be a longer distance between the TRE and the ball joint.

FordRanger89

05/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Looks real good.
I love the orange!!

dhkonrad

2013 Offroad TOTY
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
2013 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Looks real good.
I love the orange!!
Thanks man! I appreciate it a lot!
I really thought the orange was going to be too obnoxious when i first did it, but now I like it. I could even paint some more orange, then paint my truck blue and it would be my school colors :icon_rofl:

dhkonrad

2013 Offroad TOTY
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
2013 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've been driving the truck without any real issues, until now. Most of the driving I have been doing has been under 15 miles at a time. I drove it 30+ miles a couple days ago however, and I kinda thought I heard a tad bit of a whine when I got to my destination. I haven't heard it before though, and I didn't hear it when I started driving. When I got out I put my hand on the diff cover I couldn't keep it there because it was so hot. There is about 350 miles on the fresh gears, so still within the break in period, but I would have figured they wouldn't be making THAT much heat still. :icon_confused: I could be way off on that tho. I waited for the diff to cool before I drove it again, and try as I might I couldn't hear a whine anymore. My exhaust is quieter now that it has almost ever been, and so maybe it was just a different noise I am not used to hearing? :dunno: Anyone have any insight onto whether or not I should be worried about how much heat my diff is creating? When I popped the cover 100 miles ago I feel like there was room for improvement, but not enough that I would expect it to be causing this much heat. :dunno: :icon_confused:

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
You should be able to put your hand on the diff for about 6 seconds without burning.

Do you have a temp gun?

Truck looks good man, when you are in town again hit me up we should meet and look over our rigs. I'm curious to see a full width SAS'd ranger.

dhkonrad

2013 Offroad TOTY
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
2013 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You should be able to put your hand on the diff for about 6 seconds without burning.

Do you have a temp gun?

Truck looks good man, when you are in town again hit me up we should meet and look over our rigs. I'm curious to see a full width SAS'd ranger.

During break in period, or for all time? I am probably relatively close to that, but may be a little hotter after more than about 25 miles.
I unfortunately don't have a temp gun with me, maybe Ill have to go get one..

Thanks! It will probably be a while before it makes it back to Cali. Earliest would be Christmas, or maybe summer. I really wanna hit Fordyce with it though, so maybe Ill make the effort to come down for Christmas.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
During break in period, or for all time? I am probably relatively close to that, but may be a little hotter after more than about 25 miles.
I unfortunately don't have a temp gun with me, maybe Ill have to go get one..

Thanks! It will probably be a while before it makes it back to Cali. Earliest would be Christmas, or maybe summer. I really wanna hit Fordyce with it though, so maybe Ill make the effort to come down for Christmas.
I'm not even sure if you can get close to Fordyce during Christmas time

dhkonrad

2013 Offroad TOTY
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
2013 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm not even sure if you can get close to Fordyce during Christmas time
Yeah, I guess it'd really depend on how much snow it gets by then...
Well see. Might just shoot for summer.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
How's the ride with those shocks and coils? Mine rides pretty good but the tires seem pretty rigid compared to my old KM2's

Also, are you Heims on your radius arms noisy? My passenger side heim is fairly squeaky I wonder if that's bad? The drivers side is quiet as a mouse...

dhkonrad

2013 Offroad TOTY
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
2013 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
How's the ride with those shocks and coils? Mine rides pretty good but the tires seem pretty rigid compared to my old KM2's

Also, are you Heims on your radius arms noisy? My passenger side heim is fairly squeaky I wonder if that's bad? The drivers side is quiet as a mouse...
It rides pretty awesome. Even with no sway bar front or rear, the body roll isn't terrible. With the TTB and Procomps, I wanted for more shock. With this setup, the es9000's seem like they control it plenty.

Your tires seem rigid? hmm. I don't really know how I would feel that. How does it affect ride?

As far as noisy Heims, my radius arms on my TTB though got to the point where I thought the truck was going to fall apart. It wasn't like that at first, and after about 6 months the noise went away. I have heard thats just a Heims thing... So far so good on these though. No noise, and no issues. Yet...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals