• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dhkonrad's 93 ford ranger

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
It rides pretty awesome. Even with no sway bar front or rear, the body roll isn't terrible. With the TTB and Procomps, I wanted for more shock. With this setup, the es9000's seem like they control it plenty.

Your tires seem rigid? hmm. I don't really know how I would feel that. How does it affect ride?

As far as noisy Heims, my radius arms on my TTB though got to the point where I thought the truck was going to fall apart. It wasn't like that at first, and after about 6 months the noise went away. I have heard thats just a Heims thing... So far so good on these though. No noise, and no issues. Yet...
You probably don't notice it cuz KM2's are pretty soft riding. At least my 33" ones rode hella nice. But these Kevlars act super stiff, gonna let a little air out.

Yeah not sure whats up with my heim its pretty noisy. I need to call james duff and see if they have any recommendations

dhkonrad

2013 Offroad TOTY
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
2013 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You probably don't notice it cuz KM2's are pretty soft riding. At least my 33" ones rode hella nice. But these Kevlars act super stiff, gonna let a little air out.

Yeah not sure whats up with my heim its pretty noisy. I need to call james duff and see if they have any recommendations
Is it jarring? What kind of softness difference was there between the springs you used for TTB vs SA? I definitely notice small bumps and ledges and stuff in the road more now that I am SA, but I have the same tires before and after. I assumed it had to do with the springs and the characteristics of the straight axle... maybe I am imagining things

On your heims, I think maybe just wait it out, see what they do. Like I said, I think my noise subsided after a few months, and was definitely gone by 6 months.

Kevery

06/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1978
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Is it jarring? What kind of softness difference was there between the springs you used for TTB vs SA? I definitely notice small bumps and ledges and stuff in the road more now that I am SA, but I have the same tires before and after. I assumed it had to do with the springs and the characteristics of the straight axle... maybe I am imagining things

On your heims, I think maybe just wait it out, see what they do. Like I said, I think my noise subsided after a few months, and was definitely gone by 6 months.
I've had my heims for a couple of years now and from time to time they are still noisy as fu**. The only way around it is to upgrade to rebuildable heims. As far as the bumpiness goes... Life as a straight axle. Isn't it great?

dhkonrad

2013 Offroad TOTY
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
2013 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've had my heims for a couple of years now and from time to time they are still noisy as fu**. The only way around it is to upgrade to rebuildable heims. As far as the bumpiness goes... Life as a straight axle. Isn't it great?
Exactly. They used to worry me, but once you told me you had the same nose issue at the time, I got over it. and they never were an issue, sooo....
On the bumpiness: life IS great with SA. truthfully, it was very minor, but noticeable. Especially noticeable before shocks.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Exactly. They used to worry me, but once you told me you had the same nose issue at the time, I got over it. and they never were an issue, sooo....
On the bumpiness: life IS great with SA. truthfully, it was very minor, but noticeable. Especially noticeable before shocks.
Yeah I just wondered if that was normal for Heims or not.

And life with a solid axle is great. I spent the day wheeling today and it was a blast with the 44 under there and after letting some air out of the tires it rides 5x better than my TTB

Last edited:

dhkonrad

2013 Offroad TOTY
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
2013 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Haven't got a whole lot done due to being at school
All my work has to be done in the school parking garage...

Get a lot of funny looks, but at least some stuff is getting done...

started redoing my rocklights because they got messed up, and I ripped a lot of the wiring out when I did my rock sliders. Decided to go with some colors this time, rather than just white

I cant decide if I like the mix of green and white, or if I like the green only more...
Mix:

Just green:

Any thoughts?

I just started on the drivers side, and there are only 4 white lights, and 4 green. I got about 30 green, and still have 10 white left over, so it should be pretty bright under there when I am done.

dhkonrad

2013 Offroad TOTY
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
2013 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual

dhkonrad

2013 Offroad TOTY
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
2013 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Got most of the lighting done

pictures are with only the green though, no white. I think I like it a lot more without the white, it just may be a little dim for rockcrawling. Toying with the idea of putting the white ones on a separate string.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I am so nominating you for street TOTM as soon as noms come back around.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic

Agahahahaha. But he does more wheeling than me lol

dhkonrad

2013 Offroad TOTY
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
2013 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual

Hahaha I seriously laughed out loud when I read that. I wanna know what would be said if you tried that...
But seriously, what else am I supposed to do on my truck when all I have to work in is a parking lot? As it was I got visited by security a couple times...

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Truck's lookin good bud. I like the green lights! If it was me I would put the white back in just to break it up a bit. But wll in all its lookin good!

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
I like it. My ranger had all the green led lights hidden inside the cab. And ilk Probaly do the outside like yours next time as well

dhkonrad

2013 Offroad TOTY
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
2013 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys!

I like the idea of the white lights to break it up, but they are just so dang bright that they almost completely overpower the green. Ill probably still end up running at least some white though, because after all this is supposed to be rocklights, not underglow...

I also wanted to put some in my cab, but I have some blue ones lying around... Cant decide if it would be too obnoxious to do blue inside, or if I should stick with green...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals