• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch Replacment?

JayGeePee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6(3.0)
Transmission
Manual
When my clutch is depressed I hear a loud annoying screetching sound, but only when I push it in. So I'm guessing my clutch is getting ready to go out. I can barely get the truck into gear, even when I'm rolling. So I was wondering if thats what it is?

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The noise you are hearing is from the throwout bearing. You will have to pull the trans to change it, and a new clutch disc and pressure plate at the same time would be a good idea.:)shady

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
the screeching would definitely be the throwout bearing...but if you can barely get the truck in gear then it sounds like the disc and pressure plate need replacing anyway.

ItsA5Spd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yup, these trucks don't like to shift when the clutch is on it's way out.

JayGeePee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6(3.0)
Transmission
Manual
Clutch Replacement Quote!

I didnt want to, but I'm going to have to put a new clutch kit, and slave cylinder in myself. I went to my mechanic today, and he quoted me $700.00 for the job. Hah! Yeah right, I told him. I know its time consuming, and a tedious task, but $700.00 come on. I'm not that familiar with the hydrolic clutches, because I'v never owned a car with it. So I was wondering if someone can start me off in the right direction on how to do this right. Without destroying anything. I'm sure he was going to buy the kit and slave cylinder from NAPA(Kittrels), which already mark there prices up 75%, and on top of that he'll mark the parts up 10% - I'm sure thats were the 700.00 came from, unless this job is harder than I think.:annoyed:

betomonroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
:shok::icon_surprised:
I know it sounds like a little expensive. But If You don't have the sufficient tools or knowledge I strongly advise You get another price.
Check your local area mechanics and see who is got the best deal.
You can also ask them what will be their price IF YOU BUY THE PARTS yourself.

JayGeePee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6(3.0)
Transmission
Manual
Clutch

The only reason I go to this Mechanic is because he's fair, usually cheep, and has a good name through-out town. I called around and everyone fell in the 700.00 range. I cant afford 700.00, but if I dont do it soon the clutch is going to crap on me. What tools are needed? I use to pull the T-5 out of my 1993 5.0, put a new clutch in, and adjust the clutch in 2 hours, but it didnt have a hydrolic clutch. I was wondering if somebody had a step by step, and tools needed to complete this successfully. I know I can do it, but its a matter of how long.

JayGeePee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6(3.0)
Transmission
Manual
Nothing I guess... O well

Last edited:

JayGeePee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6(3.0)
Transmission
Manual
Coming Along...

Well I found out this truck has the original clutch from the factory... Not too bad for 12 years. I'v never had a clutch last me that long. I have the driveshaft out, the shifter, the starters dropped, and I removed all the wiring off the tranny-I did all this with the truck on the ground, it sucked! What should be my next plan of action the tranny or the slave cylinder?:icon_confused:

04 EDGE

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
700 for parts and labor is a FAIR price. he has to feed his family also.

04 EDGE

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
make sure you have the flywheel machined and put a shim between the crank and flywheel or your clutch will not last long.

pops13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got a price of 450 to 500 for my 97, but thats in mi. 700 sounds high,

JayGeePee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6(3.0)
Transmission
Manual
I need to eat too...

The clutch is 200.00, the slave cylinder is 50.00 give or take. That means hes marking up 10% or more for the parts, and making a killing on Labor. I have to eat too. I'm just going to Buy a new flywheel. New seal for the tranny. I'm going to take care of the rear main seal, and of course the clutch, and Slave Cylinder. I'm going to put new fluid in the tranny also. Knock it all out at once, over the weekend. I'm dropping the tranny tommorow, and going ahead and taking the flywheel off($50.00 core charge). What type of fluid goes in the tranny? How would synthetic do? The clutch went out completly today - I couldnt even force it in gear so I could drive it home. I got my boss to tow me home...I couldnt be-little my Ford so I made him tow me with his Ford Van.

Last edited:

betomonroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Buy a Haynes or Chilton manual for Your truck at your local autoparts store. It's only around $22.00.
It comes with step by step instructions and photos.
It is very easy to follow up. I have mine.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Coming from someone that is just now completing such a job on a Bronco II, I think $500 worth of labor is perfectly fair. I'd have paid someone to do mine if I didn't owe $2,000 to the IRS in 2 weeks.

I remember paying $500 for a clutch job on a '94 Ranger 4x4...in 1999. If it's only gone up $200 in 10 years then $700 should be a steal.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals