• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B2 on the Rubicon Trail!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

:shok: that link is crazy.

i guess i can step back and laugh pretty fawking hard.:icon_rofl:

i run a, full travel, maximum compression to maximum extension, of spring that was rated 140 ppi, and 5.5 lift with pivots over center, at up to 120 mph on the pavement, for three years...... with simple junkyard steering parts......and incoil bags...

and somehow missed most of that shit.

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Where are you that you can't find one example of what was America's best-selling SUV and compact pickup truck around you? You try www.car-part.com? How about www.craigslist.com?
I have not tried car-part.com but craigslist is my go to site. There are plenty of explorers here but the owners are wanting $1500+ for them. One here is a 92 explorer 4x4 and the guy wants $1700 for it. 235,000 miles, no a/c or heat, and the head gasket is blown! Not to mention the other issues he had listed. I mean it's ridiculous. I would like to buy something like that but I'm not made of money I have to keep my parts budget down so when the modifications come in I'll have the money to do it right. I'll have to search some pick and pulls and see if I can find anything reasonable. I'll try that other site.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Where are you that you can't find one example of what was America's best-selling SUV and compact pickup truck around you? You try www.car-part.com? How about www.craigslist.com?
I have not tried car-part.com but craigslist is my go to site. There are plenty of explorers here but the owners are wanting $1500+ for them. One here is a 92 explorer 4x4 and the guy wants $1700 for it. 235,000 miles, no a/c or heat, and the head gasket is blown! Not to mention the other issues he had listed. I mean it's ridiculous. I would like to buy something like that but I'm not made of money I have to keep my parts budget down so when the modifications come in I'll have the money to do it right. I'll have to search some pick and pulls and see if I can find anything reasonable. I'll try that other site.

theres a few times i nearly sent shawn a ticket so he could go junkyarding with me for a few days.

that would completely change his outlook on this based on geography.

the reality is so brutal, and painfully ugly he would go home and hug, kiss, and fawk hiis d35 to death....... :thefinger:

probably 2 to one or better d 35 to 30.....but the 35's are in such sorry shape you just feel bad for the lil fawkers. 3 to 1 sla to d30....

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I am sure I could easily do the 3-4 link system because my buddies are familiar with the link system because they run low riders and hydraulics and they have that on their trucks. I am sure the links systems are the same for low riders and 4x4s so that won't be a big issue. I don't think.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
theres a few times i nearly sent shawn a ticket so he could go junkyarding with me for a few days.

that would completely change his outlook on this based on geography.

the reality is so brutal, and painfully ugly he would go home and hug, kiss, and fawk hiis d35 to death....... :thefinger:

probably 2 to one or better d 35 to 30.....but the 35's are in such sorry shape you just feel bad for the lil fawkers. 3 to 1 sla to d30....
Yeah the few I have seen over the years here were not in good shape. They were rusted to hell and I was scared it was worse than just surface rust so I moved on. Hopefully I'll find a decent straight axle d44.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Ok well I have a pretty good idea how to do a d44 swap into my b2 now. I have found the radius arm setups from James Duff but its like $600. I also found the shock tower and the coil spring buckets for $300. Any idea if they sell them any where else cheaper?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Fab them.

JD sells everything you need for a SAS I think lol

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
could I fab the radius arms that are on my b2 now or will that be too much modification? I am not sure how much bigger the d44 radius arms are.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
What axles would come in the f-150? There are a few f-150's for sell locally for less than $1000 and that is my price range.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Ok so far I have called around to a few of the pick and pulls placing and I have found the front end of a f-150 for about $200 with everything. The rear end is about $150 and a transfer case is about $150. So all in all $500 will get me all the big parts I need for my build. I will just take my time and replace everything in the axle and upgrade the shafts etc and the same for the t-case and the rear end.

Another question I have is on the Pirate 4x4 site I posted there as well just to get a range of tips and advice. Well one of the members said I should get rid of the fm145 transmission. I was planning on rebuilding the fm145 and keeping it. Is it worth keeping or should I swap it out for another trans? If it's best to swap it out what would I replace it with?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Didn't answer the question...

The FM145 is OK at best. I would swap it for a M5OD instead of rebuilding the FM145, but would run the 145 at least until it comes down with an issue (unless you were to do a 4.0L swap, then the 145 is likely to be a very short-timer).

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
What can I get a m50d out of? I'm sure another b2 or ranger but any specific years?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
'90-'97 4WD 4.0L Rangers & Explorers.
'90 2.9L 4WD Rangers & BIIs (though M5ODs are more rare in these)

You're not gonna tell us the city you're located in? (or maybe put it in your profile info)

pimtool

OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Wow, I just read that whole thing and you are thinking way to much into this. If it were me I would go with d35, 8.8, 5.13 gears, 35" tires, lockers front and rear add some skid plates and rock sliders and peoples jaw will drop as you climb almost anything at Gulches and have it all done in a month.

Just keep some extra hubs and front axle shaft on board and as someone stated earlier you can swap them out in 1/2 hr or less.

By the way where in SC are you?

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
sorry guys for the late response I am in Charleston, SC

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals