• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B2 on the Rubicon Trail!

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
'90-'97 4WD 4.0L Rangers & Explorers.
'90 2.9L 4WD Rangers & BIIs (though M5ODs are more rare in these)
Ok Ill check around at some of the local pick and pulls and see if I can find the m50d trans. I am assuming the 4.0 rangers between 90-97 also have the d35 front end too?

pimtool

OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, I have a 89 I picked up a month ago not running for $750. I put a fuel pump in it and changed the oil. Its a little rough around the edges, but I ran it around the back 40 a couple times.

$900 just above Columbia,SC

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Hey, I have a 89 I picked up a month ago not running for $750. I put a fuel pump in it and changed the oil. Its a little rough around the edges, but I ran it around the back 40 a couple times.

$900 just above Columbia,SC
and that has the d35 and 8.8 rear??

pimtool

OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Nope. I thought i would have time to do that, but I was wrong. Just thought you could build it while you continued to drive yours.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Yeah just gotta see how money comes here in the next month or so right now the B2 is in the shop. Thanks for the offer I'll let you know if I can make it happen or not.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Ok Ill check around at some of the local pick and pulls and see if I can find the m50d trans. I am assuming the 4.0 rangers between 90-97 also have the d35 front end too?
Yep.

D35s can also be found in some 3.0L trucks, and all '91-'92 trucks regardless of motor.
Beware of the "hybrid" D28/35 in some '93-'97 non-4.0L trucks though, you don't want one of those (pretty much all '93-'97 2.3 trucks have the hybrid axle).

Info to I.D. them here:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/4wd_Front_Axles.html

Here's a '93 Ex for $800 OBO http://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/3653021684.html
Doesn't say 2WD or 4x4 ... (a 2WD would still yield the beefy 8.8" rear, 4.0L engine, dash and other swap stuff), but you might get lucky and it be 4x4.

www.car-part.com yields a few complete D35s available in SC for $200 if the above Ex is a bust. Some of the results say "$Call" so it's possible you could find one cheaper than that, not sure (though that could also mean they want a ridiculous amount for it too).
Also, 8.8" disc brake rears for as little as $100 (many are 3.27:1, but that don't matter if you're swapping 5.13s in).

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i say this allot because its true. 4x4 junkie has constructed an easy to follow and repeat build that will do well in most environments, especially out west and is the benchmark for a b2 in my eyes.

i would hop in it and run it anywhere within its maximum capacities.

drive it to alaska or florida or the northeast from his home in cali without a second thought.

sure you might burn up a winch or two to go on many of the hi end trails, but those are not the intention for a daily drivable machine like that.

running the con in it would be easy though. i dont know what the soupbowl looks like these days but i bet it will make it look easy.

:thefinger::thefinger::thefinger::thefinger:yeah....i had to repost that just to be sure:thefinger::thefinger::thefinger::thefinger:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
:thefinger::thefinger::thefinger::thefinger:yeah....i had to repost that just to be sure:thefinger::thefinger::thefinger::thefinger:
Wow, I guess I somehow missed that one. (thread was rockin' pretty quick for a bit)

Appreciate that Bobby. You're absolutely correct, it is more of a practical-built do-it-all rig for some campin' & wheelin' on the go (some of the nerds out there these days like to call it "overlanding" but I don't think much of the term myself... To me it's just camping & wheeling lol). It's all about finding a trail and doin a bit of exploring, be it in the rocks of the high-Sierras, or even something easier like out in Death Valley. The TTB gives it a much nicer ride without it beating you all up (DV is known for some pretty nasty washboard roads).

:icon_cheers:

I haven't been past the Soup Bowl since '03, so it's probably changed a lot (by now they've probably either fenced it off, or dynamited the whole thing given the way things have been going up there the last couple years :annoyed: ).
I still wouldn't mind getting up there again though, even if it's just to witness all the destruction that's taken place (I understand a Subaru Brat can do the Little Sluice now :no2: )

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Well 4x4junkie your rig is exactly what I want to end up with by next summer. Everything down to the dual battery box in the floorboard of the truck. I have found the local pick and pull that advertises decent prices for parts. 4x4 junkie I see that you used jeep coils but what else did you use to lift your truck 5". I would look it up on your page but I'm in class today and my cell doesn't so too well searching.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Well 4x4junkie your rig is exactly what I want to end up with by next summer. Everything down to the dual battery box in the floorboard of the truck. I have found the local pick and pull that advertises decent prices for parts. 4x4 junkie I see that you used jeep coils but what else did you use to lift your truck 5". I would look it up on your page but I'm in class today and my cell doesn't so too well searching.
Disregard I got to your page!

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
looks like your radius arm bracket is push back up against the trans member. That is the trans bracket right?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I love the "overland" based builds. More of the idea I'm going for also. Mine is set up similar to yours without being refined yet... I hope to get mine out soon and get the rough places polished up and maybe have a rig as refined as yours. I Have to DD mine first and foremost. The TTB is nice for that.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
hey 4x4junkie how well is your B2 on the road? I mean is it something if I wanted to drive to my parents house (60 miles away) would I be able to drive the b2? Just wondering how well the low gears do on the highway.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals