• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B2 on the Rubicon Trail!

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I was a member and did 2 years worth of research before I built my truck, which to me now is the simplest set-up/ best cost effect/ yet very strong.

Do a simple build first on you B2, radius arm D44, and 9" with Chevy leafs.

My current project is a 99 Eddie Bauer Explorer, 4 linked F&R, exo-caged, 408w 11.5:1 on lpg, on 40" tires, on Tons, hydro-steer, with all the leather and luxuries still intact. In a year or two, I'll be wheelin in style, leather seats and 5pt harnesses!

But.... You gotta start learning somewhere, I built my Ranger, rolled it, then rebuilt it again. And before that, built it small with all the ttb mods and cheap easy tricks and tips. And before that there were 3 B2s, that each had its own set of mods, one being chopped w/ 2" lift, one with welded diffs and lots of body damage, and the first modified to the top high-schooler ability.

All I can say is get to researching and experimenting. It'll be fun, I promise.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
A dual T-case combined with a manual transmission makes for a great anti-theft feature LOL. For DD use it doesn't change any of that operation, as for 4WD operation I believe you can run different modes such as 4hi/4lo, 4lo/4lo which is excellent for rock crawling and in 4lo/lo you can literally put it in gear get out and walk beside it that's how slow it will crawl even with a manual transmission.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I also have a 99 explorer I am working on i will only do a TT and a warrior shackle on the rear and try and sport the 31's. I was going to do the d35 and the 4.0 swap on the b2 and thats when i bought the 99 explorer just to find out it wouldnt work lol thats my luck. Guess now i have a truck for the wife to wheel. I really do love my B2 it is one of a kind here I havent done any mods to my b2 really besides the brakes. Advance sold me the wrong year calipers and I ended up having to change the lines and all. I just gotta start trying to find another B2 or ranger to use because I like driving mine so much that I dont want to stop wheeling it to build it. Plus i dont think I can go a year without being able to wheel it As I do more research into it Ill figure out a game plan. I am super excited though wish i had the funds to start now!

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Funds.... Always the downfall...

My DD is also(another, I have 2) a 99 EB Ex. I couldn't imagine it having only 4 liters under the hood...

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
My problem is I got my Bronco 2, and then started finding some issues that had been covered up by the PO. Now I'm stuck with a vehicle I can drive but really can't drive out of town due to the massive oil leaks that I can't tackle on my own as I don't have the equipment and tools to do so. It looks like crap, leaks oil all over at a quart every 2 days, but runs good and drives good given its 30 years old, and has been completely neglected for what seems like its whole 30 year life. Sadly, I'd like to get rid of it but can't as I'd lose a bunch of money now.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I am paying $600 a month on car payments so next summer once their paid off i will have $600 a month to put into my rig. I have had good luck in finding trucks in people's yard and getting them dirt cheap. I will try and find a decent rig to start with. I was also looking at running d35's or d44's. I was looking at running a full size truck's axles and letting them stick out more. Right now the only parts I have is another 2.9 and a 2wd transmission from an 1987 ranger. So I really don't have a thing to start out with. I had two parts rangers I was using for my B2 but just scraped them before i thought about building a rig. I figured I'd have to run 35's or 37's so that I could get good axle clearance, but that is getting ahead of myself. I will talk with my buddy about building a custom frame so I can arrange some things underneath. I guess I just gotta stick to a plan and don't get ahead of myself worrying about things that are far to come.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I would quit worrying about a custom chassis. The RBV frame is pretty stout, and easy to work with.

If extra strength is needed you can always box the frame in, or cage the vehicle. That's at the +500 horsepower mark, or abused w/ 40"+ tires.

The only thing about the stock frame that aggregates me is the section forward of the front axle, the crumple zone. It makes bumper and winch fab a royal PITA. Yet still easily fixed with some 3x2 tubing, a torch, and a welder.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
yeah right now I just took a piece of 1/4 angle iron and welded on two brackets and mounted it to the frame rails with 2 grade 8 bolts. I put a 2" tube on the front so I could mount a winch and bought a winch mount from my local harbor freight and mounted it to the front. It is a little wobbly but is strong enough for me. I will build a better bumper once i decide what I am going to do with my bronco. I dont want to put more money into this bronco when I am going to build something else for wheeling. I just want to maintain it so i can enjoy it until next year. I was told here on the site that the frame was garbage and wouldn't last but I see that your rig isn't having any issue with the stock frame so I see that the previous information was wrong.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I was told here on the site that the frame was garbage and wouldn't last but I see that your rig isn't having any issue with the stock frame so I see that the previous information was wrong.
My frame has totaled a G35, constantly gets jumped, always twisted up on trails, bashed a many a rocks, and did a front flip/ barrel roll....
I'd say its an ok chassis...
Last alignment showed a 0.02 degree thrust angle.

As for the axles. Wide or narrow?

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Probably narrow but really the easiest to come across. Right now I don't have a lot of cash but I really want to do something. I gotta change the bushings on my radius arms anyways so they gotta come out. May as well put a different one in.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
78-79 bronco, 73-79 1/2 ton
For wide, cheap, and easy to find

71-77 bronco
For narrow, little pricey, and getting rare.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I think the wider axle would be a little better. If I am correct the wider axles will increase my flex capabilities, right?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I think the wider axle would be a little better. If I am correct the wider axles will increase my flex capabilities, right?
nope.. it'll make your more stable tho, which is a plus.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
ok thanks 4.0B2 I was thinking that because the tires are outside the fender walls it will allow the tires more room to move around. I thought that is why the jeeps could flex so much because the wheels were outside the fenders. But stability is a good thing in the B2's mine is kinda sketchy when it comes uneven ground. So more stability is a good thing!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals