• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 Ranger V8 swap and manual to auto conversion

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
XL2T-14B205 is the GEM module
X = 1999
L2 = Explorer

14B205 = Generic control module, basically the "Body Computer"

1995 to 2000 Rangers used the GEM as the 4WD Controller, so there are different GEMs if course
1998-2000 Rangers also used GEM for speed calibration

stretchstick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Good information, thank you.

So, with transferring the Mountaineer engine harness and cab harness into the Ranger, will the Ranger GEM be compatible with said harnesses?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Is there a reason not to use the Mountaineer GEM?

stretchstick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
All I know is the Mountaineer harness does not have transfer case controls since it was all wheel drive.

Been questioning this ever since the idea of using the Mountaineer harness came up. I have to find out how the controls for the Ranger transfer case will adapt into the Mountaineer harness.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I like the 1354, and unless the new engine sets it back or changes elevation, seems what you have in it should still work fine.
My 93 had 210ak on it in 2006 when I bought it and now it has over 400, and never a hint of problems from the TC.

It suits me fine just to reach up there and push that button. My initial experience with a 4x4 was hammering and tugging on the front hubs in the freezing cold while trying to get them unlocked and working

stretchstick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Good to hear another positive about the 1354. Now I just need to know how the Mountaineer wiring will control the 4x4 functions. Not finding anything out there about the issue.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good to hear another positive about the 1354. Now I just need to know how the Mountaineer wiring will control the 4x4 functions. Not finding anything out there about the issue.
The Mtnr wiring will not control the 4x4 functions as all the V8 Mtnr were awd with no transfer case controls. If you want to use the Mtnr wiring, you will need manual control of the transfer case.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This is listed under 99 Mountaneer
Transfer Case

Motor, Electric Shift

The externally mounted transfer case shift motor (7G360), located at the rear of the transfer case (7A195), turns the shift cam assembly. As the shift cam assembly turns, it positions the reduction shift fork (7289) for desired transfer case operation. An integral position sensor in the shift motor provides motor position information to the generic electronic module (GEM).

Switch, Rotary 4x4 Mode

The rotary 4x4 mode switch, mounted on the instrument panel, allows the operator to select the 4WD Auto, 4WD High, and 4WD Low transfer case operating modes. The indicator light, above the rotary switch dial, will illuminate when the 4WD High or 4WD Low position has engaged.

Switch, Brake Pedal Position (BPP)

The brake pedal position (BPP) switch is located on the brake pedal. The switch signals the GEM when the operator activates the brake pedal.

Switch, Clutch Pedal Position (CPP)

The clutch pedal position (CPP) switch is located on the clutch pedal bracket. On vehicles equipped with a manual transmission (7003) and an electronic shift transfer case, the clutch pedal must be fully depressed and vehicle stopped in order to make a range shift from HIGH to LOW, or from LOW to HIGH.

Sensor, Digital Transmission Range (DTR)

The DTR sensor is located on the outside of the transmission near the transmission shift cable attachment. The DTR sensor completes the start circuit in PARK and NEUTRAL, the back-up lamp circuit in REVERSE and the neutral sense circuit (4WD) in NEUTRAL. The DTR sensor also sends a digital output signal to the powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650) indicating the manual lever position (P, R, N, D, 2, 1).

Sensor, Throttle Position (TP)

The TP sensor is located on the throttle body. The sensor provides throttle position information to the PCM. The PCM converts the throttle position signal to a pulse width modulated (PWM) signal, and sends it to the GEM to control and adjust the transfer case clutch duty cycle.

Sensor, Front and Rear Output Shaft Speed (OSS)

The externally mounted OSS sensors are located at the rear of the transfer case. The sensors provide the GEM with front and rear driveshaft speeds to control and adjust the transfer case clutch duty cycle.

Sensor, Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)

The Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) provides the GEM with vehicle speed information to control and adjust the transfer case clutch duty cycle.

Generic Electrical Module (GEM)

The GEM controls the operation of the transfer case in response to inputs from the electric shift motor, 4x4 mode switch, CPP switch, BPP switch, DTR sensor, throttle position output from the PCM, front and rear OSS sensors, and the VSS.

Electronic Shift Control System Components

ItemPart NumberDescription
17G360Transfer case shift motor
27F293Front output shaft speed sensor
37F293Rear output shaft speed sensor
4Shift range selector switch
514B205Generic electronic module (GEM) (electric shift only)
6Digital transmission range (DTR) sensor

Mechanical Operation

The Borg-Warner 44-05 transfer case is available in the Explorer (A4WD) vehicle. The transfer case transfers power from the transmission to the rear axle, and also to the front axle when electronically activated.

In the Auto mode, torque from the transmission is transferred to the input shaft (7017) which, in turn, drives the rear output shaft (7061) that drives the rear axle assembly (4006). The electromechanical ball ramp clutch assembly drives the drive sprocket (7177) after the GEM activates the clutch coil. The drive sprocket turns the drive chain (7A029) that rotates the front output shaft and the front driveshaft (4602). In the 4x4 High mode, the operation is the same as in the Auto mode, except that the GEM consistently activates the electromechanical ball ramp clutch assembly.

The high-low shift occurs when the reduction shift fork moves the high-low collar (7100) to lock the planetary gear set to the output shaft. Then, torque, transmitted through the sun gear, from the input shaft, turns the front planetary gear set assembly (7A398). The front planetary gear set assembly, which is now engaged, provides transfer case speed reduction.

Transfer Case Functions

There are three transfer case modes, Auto, 4WD Low, and 4WD High. Neutral is only available as a dealer installed option.

Control-Trac Function

The Control-Trac transfer case uses an electromechanical clutch assembly to control torque to the front wheels. In the Auto mode, while at rest and under cruising conditions, the GEM activates the transfer case clutch at a minimum level. This allows for the slight difference between the front and rear driveshafts which occurs normally when negotiating a corner on dry pavement. Under any of the following conditions, the GEM will increase the torque sent through the clutch to the front wheels in order to prevent or control slip.

• Slip is detected (by monitoring the front and rear OSS sensors in the transfer case)
  • Throttle position (by using the throttle position signal from the EEC)

Range Function

NOTE:
At zero throttle, the duty cycle remains low. At very light to heavy acceleration, the duty cycle jumps to the maximum.

In the 4WD Low Range, with throttle input, the transfer case electromechanical clutch locks the front and rear driveshafts for maximum 4WD traction. The transfer case shift motor rotates the shift cam to move the reduction shift fork to the 4WD low range position. This low range shift, accomplished through a planetary gear set, changes the torque to the driveshaft from 1:1 to 2.48:1 ratio.

In the 4WD High Range, with throttle input, the GEM signals the transfer case electromechanical clutch to lock the front and the rear driveshafts for maximum 4WD traction. Never use the 4WD High range when driving on dry or merely wet pavement. Use the 4WD High range only for driving off-road or in severe winter weather.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have one for the 99 Explorer/Mountaineer but cannot get it to paste here

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I thought the transfer case controller was separate? Did it get integrated?

The 4406 and 1354 are very similar in function, my Explorer (manual 4406) and Ranger (manual 1354) shift the same assuming you ignore the auto trans on the Explorer and manual on the Ranger. they both shift just fine between 4x2 and 4x4 high and back without doing anything dumb, assuming I shift to neutral I've gone from low to high on both just fine with the normal clinky clanking (don't make that one a habit). The 1354's don't have a bad reputation but I wouldn't pay more money to run a 1354 over a 4406...

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
From the description above, it sounds like the Mountaineer is not a true "AWD" in the sense most people think. The electronics are controlling the transfer case to make it "look" and "act" like AWD in certain modes. My Tahoe works like this. I never use the "auto" function, I feel like it's too much wear in the transfer case clutch.

I would use the mountaineer transfer case and drive on. Sounds like it would work for your purposes when you needed 4x4 in the pickup.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
From the description above, it sounds like the Mountaineer is not a true "AWD" in the sense most people think. The electronics are controlling the transfer case to make it "look" and "act" like AWD in certain modes. My Tahoe works like this. I never use the "auto" function, I feel like it's too much wear in the transfer case clutch.

I would use the mountaineer transfer case and drive on. Sounds like it would work for your purposes when you needed 4x4 in the pickup.
The V6's part time case may function that way, but the V8 gets a true AWD case with no external controls whatsoever (and no low range).

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The V6's part time case may function that way, but the V8 gets a true AWD case with no external controls whatsoever (and no low range).
So he can use the mountaineer GEM with no problems? Use the mountaineer GEM with a manual lever transfer case?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
At first glance I don't see why not? But I defer to people that know better.

You'd need to splice a couple of wires to make the 4wd lights work on the dash.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals