• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'97 foglight wiring

xsaylr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I've got what's supposed to be a '97 XLT, although no pwr windows or door locks. I read that the XLT should have fog light wiring there, even if not used. Found a fog light fuse and relay in place, but what I can't seem to locate is the wiring. Does anyone have a pic of where it is in the harness?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

If you plan on keeping the 1997 Ranger then I would get a 1997 Ranger EVTM, like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/164152271317
This is the electrical manual Ford sends out every year for every model to every Ford Dealer Shop
Its part of the "Factory Shop Manual Set" and often sold separately

And when you sell your 1997 you can sell the book on ebay again, that's who is selling it now, a former 1997 Ranger owner, lol, so basically its free

EVTM has all wiring for all Ranger models and all options, wiring diagrams AND locations of these wires and ground points
Very handy to have one of these for a 24 year old vehicle

I don't have a 1997 Ranger so can't tell you where the fog light wire would be or even IF they are there
Every year would be different so the fact you have the fuse and relay is a good sign, but that may be all there is

xsaylr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

If you plan on keeping the 1997 Ranger then I would get a 1997 Ranger EVTM, like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/164152271317
This is the electrical manual Ford sends out every year for every model to every Ford Dealer Shop
Its part of the "Factory Shop Manual Set" and often sold separately

And when you sell your 1997 you can sell the book on ebay again, that's who is selling it now, a former 1997 Ranger owner, lol, so basically its free

EVTM has all wiring for all Ranger models and all options, wiring diagrams AND locations of these wires and ground points
Very handy to have one of these for a 24 year old vehicle

I don't have a 1997 Ranger so can't tell you where the fog light wire would be or even IF they are there
Every year would be different so the fact you have the fuse and relay is a good sign, but that may be all there is
Cool, I picked up the Haynes at Autozone last night and it tells me the wire colors, and that it comes from the power distribution block, but a whole bundle of wires do. Finally got a day off today so I'll see if I can find em

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
You should find the light pigtails nearby behind the headlights. There should also be a switch pigtail behind the dash, close to where the factory foglight switch would have been. The dash in my 93 is different than yours. So I don't know the exact location. Mine was low on the left side of the dash and was even snapped into a little storage position built for it right behind where the switch would have been.

xsaylr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ok cool thanks, coincidentally I'm just digging into the dash now to replace some dash lights, so I'll be on the lookout. This thing's filthy, they must've run it thru the damn Sahara, so also cleaning as I go. From what I've seen, 93-97 should be the same style, so it's probably similar. Yeah I've been checking around the headlight wiring, that's the most logical location, just haven't spotted em yet. Hopefully they'll show up.

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1997 headlight/fog light wiring below

Fog light switch on lower left, shows a 6 pin plug but only 4 wires

Attachments

xsaylr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
1997 headlight/fog light wiring below

Fog light switch on lower left, shows a 6 pin plug but only 4 wires
Thanks- I have a schematic, just haven't been able to find the physical wires on the truck

xsaylr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey I appreciate all the replies, whether this works out or not. So many forums seem dead anymore, like they've all moved to social media platforms. I prefer I dedicated forum, and this looks like a good 1

xsaylr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You should find the light pigtails nearby behind the headlights. There should also be a switch pigtail behind the dash, close to where the factory foglight switch would have been. The dash in my 93 is different than yours. So I don't know the exact location. Mine was low on the left side of the dash and was even snapped into a little storage position built for it right behind where the switch would have been.
Does your headlight switch have a setting for foglights? Or did you have a separate switch? I have neither, and I thought I'd read that the XLT should.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Does your headlight switch have a setting for foglights? Or did you have a separate switch? I have neither, and I thought I'd read that the XLT should.
Mine had a separate switch. My 97 F150, however, had it built into the headlight switch. Rotating the switch to the "on" position allows me to pull the knob out for fog lights. I had trouble figuring that out for some reason. So I put my own separate switch in the dash on the F150.

I believe some design elements of the dash changed around 96 or 97. So I would expect your dash to be different from my 93.

xsaylr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ok, yeah I haven't located any wiring in the dash or around the radio either, so im just going to setup an isolated circuit, thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals