• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 ranger3.0 wipers do not work when engine running

peteb1220

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger lt
Transmission
Automatic
This is a real strange one!
If I disconnect battery + then reconnect and NOT start the truck wipers work fine,, until you start the engine, then the wipers stop back in there normal
off position and will not run again until battery disconnected again Need some help No apparent fuse problems checked ALL fuses One thing
different about the truck is the key rod the moves the ignition switch is broken and I have wired in a push button switch for the starter and a toggle
switch for the run connection. I did nothing to the ACC connection
The truck is only used on the farm to haul hay to goats in different fields. BTW the truck has 326,000 miles on it and still runs great except for the wipers.
Real pain in the rain driving thru fields with no wipers. I thought about splicing in a switch to the wiper motor but can't figure out the wiring.

HELP

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Go out and see if the ground strap is cracked to the wiper motor. Wiper motors are noisy. So they mount them on rubber bushings to make them quiet, but this fouls the grounding of the motor. So they use a small strap or jumper wire from the motor mounting to the firewall. The rubber bushings let the motor flex, and over the years this can crack the ground connection.

peteb1220

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger lt
Transmission
Automatic
I'll try it in the morning and letyou know

peteb1220

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger lt
Transmission
Automatic
Well it's not the grounding of the wiper motor. I'm starting to think it maybe the way I set up
the run switch and start push button. I wired the push stat push button directly to the starter solenoid
and left the starter switch set to run position and installed a toggle switch in the line the comes off
the switches run connection. this works fine for starting/running the truck but the 2 ACC lines have no power and I don't know what the Ignition bypass connection does.
Any thoughts about changing the method I used for the wiring ?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Use the original setup with an original switch? As you found out, there are many sections to the original ignition switch. To duplicate the factory switch you would need 3 or 4 separate toggle switches so the different sections do not interfere with each other.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals