• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

500 RPM dip and rumble feeling from engine. No Codes.

TonyG1989

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'll drive for a while, and come to a red light, in drive with brake engaged it will "every once in a while" dip down to 500 RPM and the weirdest rumbling comes from the engine. Has anybody seen this before? AC coming on and the slight dip it makes produces almost the exact same rumble, identical as a matter of fact. It will still do this IAC unplugged and with the AC off. When I give it some gas and bring the RPM over 1000 she goes back to normal and will act right indefinitely. I would just wait for it to get worse but it sounds hard on the engine? Something isnt happy in there.

Im going to try and reproduce the symptom in park. I'll report back. I can't get it to do that rumble stuff in park but ill keep trying, I was thinking maybe torque converter? The 3.0 uses a harmonic balancer so it couldn't be that, right?

Attachments

Last edited:

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Is it always after it's been running awhile and in town? What type of cooling fan do you have? Could it be the cooling fan kicking in, whether electric or mechanical with a clutch?

TonyG1989

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yes has to be driven for a while. Just a clutch cooling fan. I don't know for sure, it could be honestly.. But I have started suspecting the torque converter. Could it be the TCC Solenoid going out?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I thought when they went out it would stall at a stoplight. I have had the torque convertor clutches shudder, but it only does it usually pulling a hill in high gear.

TonyG1989

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Theres a weird vibration at 3000 RPMS, and when it does this 500RPM drop randomly, it is always at a stop light.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would clean IAC Valve, and the rumbling could be power steering pump at lower lower RPMs, as said like with AC on

TonyG1989

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I installed a brand new IAC today just to make sure. Same issue. Power steering pump. Hmmm.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The computer is very reactive to idle RPMs when your foot is off the gas pedal
The IAC valve/computer combo is accurate to +/- 4 RPM, and it reacts very fast, under 1 second
To the computer this is just Math, TPS under 1volt + Voltage at IAC Valve = XXX RPMs

Assuming automatic, try shifting to Neutral as you approach a stop, that will tell you if is a torque converter issue

TonyG1989

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The computer is very reactive to idle RPMs when your foot is off the gas pedal
The IAC valve/computer combo is accurate to +/- 4 RPM, and it reacts very fast, under 1 second
To the computer this is just Math, TPS under 1volt + Voltage at IAC Valve = XXX RPMs

Assuming automatic, try shifting to Neutral as you approach a stop, that will tell you if is a torque converter issue
When it starts doing this weird 500 rpm idle thing, and I put in in neutral, it goes away. But ill try to see if I can make it happen in neutral now.

GREAT STUFF, thanks for the knowledge there, I may be changing my TPS next based upon this.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just test the voltage at the TPS, center wire, use a sewing needle to pierce the wires insulation
Key on engine off
0.69 to 0.99v is expected at closed throttle, 4.5v wide open

Or if you have an OBD2 reader call up TPS
16 to 19% throttle close
90-93% wide open

Its a 5volt sensor, 0 to 5volts, so 1 volt = 20%, under 1volt 19% of 5volts
Wide open 4.5v = 90% of 5volts

Just thought I would throw that in because people often ask why its not 0% with throttle closed and 100% at wide open, that's why

TonyG1989

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Just test the voltage at the TPS, center wire, use a sewing needle to pierce the wires insulation
Key on engine off

16 to 19% throttle close
90-93% wide open

Just thought I would throw that in because people often ask why its not 0% with throttle closed and 100% at wide open, that's why
It shows 20% percent on the OBD2 scan. It seems to function properly. Could it be getting hot and going on the fritz occasionally?

Also, is a loose timing chain a possible culprit?

TonyG1989

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Key on engine off

16 to 19% throttle close
90-93% wide open

Key on engine off

16 to 19% throttle close
90-93% wide open

I remember you saying that in another thread. That the values are linear or something.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Sometimes you have to just keep driving it. If it gets worse, then the cause is usually more apparent. If it stays the same, then it's probably just some minor adjustment somewhere. You are aware of it, and are doing due diligence. I certainly would not spend a lot of money on a guess, you probably have already spent plenty of money on it. Of course you now know what it isn't.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
When it starts doing this weird 500 rpm idle thing, and I put in in neutral, it goes away. But ill try to see if I can make it happen in neutral now.

GREAT STUFF, thanks for the knowledge there, I may be changing my TPS next based upon this.
If it goes away when you hit neutral you have a trans issue. The engine load in drive at a light and neutral is almost zero anyways.

I had a 94 Econoline that would do something similar...i wrote it off as an IAC and since it was a van and a bitch to change id run it till it totally quit.

The O/D light started blinking and i dont remember the codes, but it was the lockup solenoid i believe...along with a speed sensor. Eventually it got to the point youd put it in gear it would just stall.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals