• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 ranger/302 transfer case

sham823

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
well i gave a guy my truck to put in the 302. he had it for a year!!! went and got my truck back and he had taken my 2.9 and AOD transmission and transfer case out and sold it. no more of this BS, have decided to try it my self. got the motor and tranny in, but can't figure out the transfer case/tranny.
i want to keep the push button 4x4 on the AOD. the connection on the ranger transfer case is a 25 spline female. the AOD on the tranny for the 302 is a 31 spline shaft. i don't know where to go from here without spending $550.00 at advance adapters.

does anyone know of a female 31 spline that will fit in the ranger aod? the transfer case that goes on the aod tranny is too big to fit in the ranger frame space.
I'm stuck.!!!! can anyone help??????
thanks a million,
skipo

Rifleman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi! Welcome to the forum!

sham823

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for

thanks for the welcome. no response to my question yet though.:sad:

Rifleman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Probably cause most internet forum users consider the first post of a new user being one of asking for help without even saying hello as rude and just keep rolling by. Most times a new member will post an introductory post with pictures of their rig and say hello and such. Forums like this only exist because everyone adds to the process. Maybe you could do a thread on your buildup to gain advice and ideas as you go, as well as provide others the info you learn along the way.

I was just giving you a bump back up the list and welcoming you as being a new member.

I've not done a 302 swap, so I'm no help beyond the fact that there are loads of folk that have done 302s in rangers of all years and many have posted writeups about their issues and solutions (I've read many of them). There is allot of planning and workarounds that goes into each build. Most likely if you use the search function you will find your answer. From my limited reading on the subject I'd say you are going to be buying adapters although I could be wrong.

Good luck, it'll be kickass once ironed out!

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
theres quite a few options.

depending on where you live usually dictates the most easy and cost effective solution.

the easiest fit for a manual case is a jeep 208 with a spacer and ford input shaft swapped in. these can be hard to find. for medium-heavy use it is my personal favorite.

the full size ford 208 is fairly easy to make fittable, and requires some pruning of the case and cocking it to the passenger side even with a 3 in body lift generally speaking, the rest of the big cases need both trimming and cocking and a 3 in b/l is real nice with those..

the ford 205 is fittable wth minimal issues in general, but is heavyish and getting hard to find. it also robs alot more power then the 1350 case.

you can fit a jeep 300 as well with a flip setup and clocking ring, kits to put the d20 behind the aod as well but are costly.

theres many more potentials...its all in what ya need, and what you can get for what you can spend.

where are you located?

sham823

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
lol lol you guys are crazy on here. i love it though !! kinda lightens things up for me after goin' through my hassle with the mechanic/theif.... sorry i just started out asking questions. this is the first time i've ever done anything like this so i didn't know quite how to approach it. sound like a lot of good people on here. very knowledgable too. well i live in tacoma washington and am trying to get the swap done before the rain sets in. then i'll be working in the rain till next summer !!! lol (i think it rains here more than seattle) lol any help on a transfer case solution would be greatly appriciated. i really would like to stick with the push button 4x4 t/case. that's my goal.
all sugestions appriciated.
thanks guys,
skip

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Check for adapters for the 1350 with Advance Adapters or James Duff(not sure if they are producing much these days though). I run a Advance on my C-6/Dana 20 combo but it was almost 800.00(about 7 years ago). I think those would be your best bets and I think i remember seeing adapters available. Most people swap out the electric case for a manual because the motors go bad and give people fits(won't shift between 4x2/4x4)I went D20 cause when I can afford it the Atlas will be a bolt in affair.

sham823

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the info BLOODBANE. i guess i'll have to bite the bullet and buy the adapter. do you happen to know what headers i need to use? i am hopin' up this truck so i can pull a trailer. the 4x4 will hardly ever be used because i am planning to retire and see the country with it before i'm too old to drive. lol so the electronic shifter shouldn't be a problem. thanks again
skip

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
To give you some numbers, the tcase you have that came behind the AOD is the Borg Warner 1356...I am running into the same problem you are, finding a tcase that will bolt up to my transmission selection and fit inside the ranger framerails...some have said to lift the passenger motor mount about an inch which will in turn move the transmission to the passenger side giving you more clearance room for the 1356...one option I am considering is to run a doubler( dual transfer cases). While this setup is advanced, many are doing it. This would benefit you is a few ways, you won't need the advance adapters $800+ adapter, give you a 3 speed tcase, allow you to run your 1350 case (push button 4x4). If this interests you, we'll go into more detail and link a couple of current builds...as for as headers, hedman headers 89500 from summitracing.com, around $125
SVT

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
you can make the 1356 work.

its a bit much though. need to beef the frame where mods need to be made where the case wants to hit, and the passenger frame rail usually has to be further modded or will have to be modded to where the exaust is with most headers....this in conjunction with sliding the t case over 3-4 inches and then plotting the engine mounts.

the engine is visibly sitting cocked but it works.:dunno:

paying for a custom smaller-weaker output shaft to put in an aod to keep a borg 1350 case is not a big should do for me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals