• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 starting

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
that would work ok.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
alright i did that, Still isnt firing up or even coming close. At least its grounded properly now.

Well im still trying to narrow it down. The distributer thats in the motor was in a 289 and it worked perfectly. I doubt that the dist is bad.

If anyone has any ideas , post em up and thanks.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
alright i got a certified mechanic coming over tomorrow to lend a hand, i will keep updates coming.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Are you getting spark from the coil at all? If not get your multimeter ready. Check to see if you are getting power to the coil with the key in run, then try again with the key in the start position (unhook the starter solenoid to prevent accidents and such). If you have spark at the coil then it is in your distributor setup. You might want to call up some buddies to see if they have parts you can try. Worst case go to the junkyard, pull a duraspark system and dizzy from an late 70-early 80s V8 and hook it up. It shouldn't cost more than $30 or so. Then you can at least get the thing running and if you desire to put the points system back in you can trouble shoot that if you want to keep that system.

Matt

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

this is my meter. Which setting is used to check the coil voltage?

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
DCV 50. but if you really dont know anything past that, youre gonna have a hard time finding a problem

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i dont know hardly anything about volt meters. The AC and DC confuse me alot. But hey at least im trying, first for everything. Im just a kid lol. I think im doing pretty good for swapping in a v8 :D

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well hmm i tested 2 different coils on DCV50 and the needle didnt even move..key was on. I tried it on OHM and the needle went to 0. I think i have bad coils.

Last edited:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
alright i did that, Still isnt firing up or even coming close. At least its grounded properly now.

Well im still trying to narrow it down. The distributer thats in the motor was in a 289 and it worked perfectly. I doubt that the dist is bad.

If anyone has any ideas , post em up and thanks.
Change the condensor inside the distributor. Cylindrical metal thing screwed into the breaker plate with the wire running to the points.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
well hmm i tested 2 different coils on DCV50 and the needle didnt even move..key was on. I tried it on OHM and the needle went to 0. I think i have bad coils.
mmm, test the positive wire going TO the coil. should have 12V there

stranger

Reaction score
sounds like hes not using 12v in run and start positions the alt wire is not the place to get it.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
since he doesnt know where to set a voltmeter,then im going to go with ..yes, there are some wires that are wrong. how could he posibly have wired the right ones up if he never tested them

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
my buddie came out today with his DMV and tested the coil and its deffinetly working fine. We ran the positive side to the battery and tried doing it that way but we still wernt getting any spark. The only thing we could come up with is a bad ignition switch under the dash. Im going to take the panel off and see whats going on under there. Ive decided to upgrade my distributer to a GM HEI setup because its more updated than the breaker point style.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
since he doesnt know where to set a voltmeter,then im going to go with ..yes, there are some wires that are wrong. how could he posibly have wired the right ones up if he never tested them
NO. The wires are in the right spots, obviously if i hooked them up exactly how they were on the other motor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals