• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 starting

dennis461

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Jeep
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
stay calm

Stay calm, you'll get it eventually.
1st.
find info on the engine to identify the model, there must be some way of telling which motor you have.
2nd
If it shoots flames, then it's getting a spark.
Your last post said NO spark, I think you are wrong.

did the distributer get pulled and re-installed?

http://www.302w.com/Firing-order.aspx

Last edited:

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
we tested for spark with a timing light and also watched for an arc but nothing. It wont even shoot flames or pop anymore. we did switch the distributer but we marked it so it went in the same way the old one did. We set the timing with number 1 piston up on compression and both valves up. We pointed the rotor to 1 and used the 302 firing order.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Breaker points are breaking good ? That may be, but if they're not adjusted damn near perfectly, they won't work worth a damn. Set the gap at .017 and try again. The mark you want the crank at is where the "0" in the middle of those timing marks on the balancer is at the pointer on the timing cover. The marks you're looking for are adjacent to the "BTC", the whole set looks like this: BTC 10 l l l l 0 l l l l 5 l l l l 10 l l l l 20 l l l l 30 ATC. Remove the #1 plug, crank the motor till you feel pressure against the finger you're going to stick into the spark plug hole, stop when you feel it, then using a breaker bar and 15/16 socket, rotate the crank till the pointer is at the 10* mark on the ATC side. When it is, loosen the distributor, and with the #1 plug out of the hole, attach the plug wire to it, ground the plug to the intake, then with the ignitoin on, slowly rotate the distributor till you see the #1 plug spark. At that point stop moving the distributor and lock it down. Reinstall the plug and fire that baby up. The timing will be dead on right using this method.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Breaker points are breaking good ? That may be, but if they're not adjusted damn near perfectly, they won't work worth a damn. Set the gap at .017 and try again. The mark you want the crank at is where the "0" in the middle of those timing marks on the balancer is at the pointer on the timing cover. The marks you're looking for are adjacent to the "BTC", the whole set looks like this: BTC 10 l l l l 0 l l l l 5 l l l l 10 l l l l 20 l l l l 30 ATC. Remove the #1 plug, crank the motor till you feel pressure against the finger you're going to stick into the spark plug hole, stop when you feel it, then using a breaker bar and 15/16 socket, rotate the crank till the pointer is at the 10* mark on the ATC side. When it is, loosen the distributor, and with the #1 plug out of the hole, attach the plug wire to it, ground the plug to the intake, then with the ignitoin on, slowly rotate the distributor till you see the #1 plug spark. At that point stop moving the distributor and lock it down. Reinstall the plug and fire that baby up. The timing will be dead on right using this method.

we were trying to do it that way but could NOT locate a pointer to line up the 10 degree mark.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well you just might be missing that part. The later models use a stamped steel pointer that bolts on using the timing cover bolts. What year motor did the timing cover come from ?

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
after you get that lined out, take out points distributor and throw at a dog and dont look back

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
its kinda sucks because i dont know much about the motor or the wiring harness itself. I did find a hot wire thats not hooked to anything. Its by the alternator but i dont see a spot for it. Im pretty flustered with this whole thing. Debating to rip all the electrical out and put in a harness i know info about.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Nothing worng with a points distributor that a Pertronix I or II won't fix. Ditto for a Crane XR-1 unit.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Nothing worng with a points distributor that a Pertronix I or II won't fix. Ditto for a Crane XR-1 unit.

dennis461

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Jeep
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
stay calm

we were trying to do it that way but could NOT locate a pointer to line up the 10 degree mark.
You don't need a pointer.
Use badd's method to get the piston to TDC, no pointer needed right!
Dirt bike timing is set with no pointer, process is similar.

Firing order must be right.
Points must be clean and open about as far as a matchbook cover.
Points must close when dist rotates.
Piston at top.
Two valves CLOSED.
Point the ROTOR to #1.
Put cap back on.
Start the engine.
It will run rough.
Turn dist till it sounds better.
Drive into swamp.
:yahoo:

p.s. sounds like shade tree mechanics 101 class
Wish I was there, got my 68 Mustang running lately, 302, dist rusted in the block!!

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You don't need a pointer.
Use badd's method to get the piston to TDC, no pointer needed right!
Dirt bike timing is set with no pointer, process is similar.

Firing order must be right.
Points must be clean and open about as far as a matchbook cover.
Points must close when dist rotates.
Piston at top.
Two valves CLOSED.
Point the ROTOR to #1.
Put cap back on.
Start the engine.
It will run rough.
Turn dist till it sounds better.
Drive into swamp.
:yahoo:

p.s. sounds like shade tree mechanics 101 class
Wish I was there, got my 68 Mustang running lately, 302, dist rusted in the block!!

thats exactly what me and my dad did. It wont fire at all. Spark problem now all of a sudden. Going to talk to some ppl around my area and figure it out, until then its gonna sit there.

stranger

Reaction score
there is key start power to points and coil right.
not just key on power.
there is a difference.all the other info should get you poping.
good luck.you will get it ,and smile when you do

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i have the battery grounded to the frame. Do i need an engine block ground instead of the frame?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
You need both, engine ground and chassis ground. A factory battery ground cable will bolt to the block but also have a bare spot in the middle to crimp to the frame.

Matt

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You need both, engine ground and chassis ground. A factory battery ground cable will bolt to the block but also have a bare spot in the middle to crimp to the frame.

Matt
my negative cable doesnt have a bare spot in the middle to crimp to the frame. Can i have 2 seperate negative cables, one grounded to the frame and one to the block?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals