• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 Ford ranger 2.9 wont start.

87Ranger_stx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It started yesterday I was driving the Ranger and all of a sudden it would just cut off. I turned it on thinking I stalled it. Second time it did it again. So I turned it on again no problem. This morning when I went to start it, it wont turn over. It just sounds like it ran out of gas but I filled up the tank yesterday. No crackling noise from the starter. No belts broken. No check engine light and everything still works inside. Also ran like a top no warning other than the engine shutting off. Any ideas? Thank in advance.

jhammel85

I would suspect a ground or possibily the TFI module. Does the truck turn over? if it does, You may want to check for spark. To do that, use a tester or you can pull a plug, connect it to a plug wire and ground it while someone turns the truck over. If you have no spark, I would suspect the good ol' TFI module.

87Ranger_stx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would suspect a ground or possibily the TFI module. Does the truck turn over? if it does, You may want to check for spark. To do that, use a tester or you can pull a plug, connect it to a plug wire and ground it while someone turns the truck over. If you have no spark, I would suspect the good ol' TFI module.
Sorry for the late reply and thanks for responding. I replaced the TFI module just because it looked worn out, but no go. One symptom I forgot to mention is when I put the key in and try to turn it on the interior lights seem to shut off right before I start to turn her over. Could this be related? Also where are all the grounds located that would cause it not to start?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals