This was written based on a request from this thread:
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164957
The pictures were taken over a month after I completed the install. I did this based on some other sources, mainly
http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/FordOilPressureGaugeFix.htm
The point is that I am not the first to do this mod on a Ford vehicle or to post about it, but I am the first to document it here on TRS in the form of a tech article submission.
Other notes that weren't relevant enough to include in my write-up:
-I also read on another forum that some F150's with tachometers have gauges that only work for half the needle travel (IIRC it was 1995 and later) and the fix was to swap for a gauge out of a non-tachometer cluster of the same vintage.
-I have heard that sometime after 1997 the oil pressure gauge circuit went solid state and this mod was no longer possible. However, since my one and only Ranger I have ever owned or worked on is my 1995, I personally do not know. The next time I'm at pull-a-part on a nice day with some spare time, I may pull a couple 1998+ clusters and look to see if the resistor is present (and not take them out of the yard, as that would be wasteful).
-The main reason this works is Ford didn't change the gauges in 1987 (all they did was swap the sensor and add the resistor) and after that they didn't change the circuit (even with the new interior in 1995), which resulted in unintentional reverse compatibility.
-Oddly enough there are some test points on the cluster that can be shorted to do the same thing (easter egg from the engineers?); however, I (and the article linked above) didn't like the look of such as a place to solder; I found using the resistor crimps to be a better place to solder the jumper.