4.0L SOHC Pulling the SOHC for inspection


Featured Build Threads

😣 figured I’d get an early jump today before I take my kid to the dr, just wanted to get the flex plate to torque converter nuts on finger tight so I can torque them later; and wouldn’t ya know it first one I dropped into the bell housing and I can’t get it out. I’ve been stacking one of those “pen magnets” down in there but I can’t find it… I really don’t want to have to split the engine/tranny again…
this is why sometimes i wonder why all cares dont have inspection covers
 
Okay, separated the engine and tranny and got the nut out, got em back together but haven’t put the nuts on yet, will do that tomorrow. Time to relax.
 
Okay, separated the engine and tranny and got the nut out, got em back together but haven’t put the nuts on yet, will do that tomorrow. Time to relax.
definetly time to relax after that
 
So the torque converter bolts are lined up with the flex plate holes, but I can’t get the nuts on bc the bolts don’t come out far enough out, and I can’t get the TC to move outward at all… any ideas? Could I have jammed the TC back to far when putting the engine in? It spins with the flex plate…
 

Attachments

  • Pulling the SOHC for inspection
    IMG_0670.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 1
Does that torque convert have a snout that seats to the crankshaft? If so maybe a little debris there?
 
Does that torque convert have a snout that seats to the crankshaft? If so maybe a little debris there?
I don’t know. I’ll have to pull the engine completely apart from the transmission to see, and to have enough room to do that I’ll have to lower the front end and roll the ranger half way out the garage and then jack it back up. So maybe that’ll be Saturday or Sunday. Today I’m gonna take the engine stand back to my buddy at the weld lab and while I’m there heat and beat some metal into a “flat hook” that I can maybe fish behind the TC and try to pull it forward. We shall see.
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top