OMG! What now with the *&^%$ Mazda b-3000 tranny? clutch?


Featured Build Threads

nancylee

10+ Year Member

Joined
Jan 26, 2013
Messages
6
Points
1,501
Vehicle Year
1995
Transmission
Manual
:dunno:Please. I am at my wits end with this truck. 1995 Mazda b-3000 4x4 manual 5 speed tranny, 3.0 engine. History= Last year I replaced the slave cylinder and master cylinder, and has been fine for at least 14 months.
Yesterday as I was driving past a school in residential area( so I was Going slow). My truck seemed to lurch as I was coming through a dip in the road. As I tried to shift into 2nd gear I got nothing but a sound like my gears were just rubbing each other but had no engagement. The lurch kind of felt like my u-joint went out or dropped a drive shaft,kind of like heavy shifting. The clutch pedal feels normal and it feels like it is shifting correctly but no gears are working. Also when I have the truck in gear motor off I can push the truck and it stutters forward or backwards. I looked in the housing and the slave cylinder looks ok. no leaks. I dont know what to do next. maybe dynamite? Thanks in advance for your thoughts. You have always been a great help in the past.
Nancylee
 
Last edited:
Sounds like the rear end to me.


Sent from my iPhone.
 
Well dynamite will just make it worse... You know what I had a problem like this on my 88 F-150, if only I could remember what was causing it. I need to go play with it some more and I will report back with my findings. But it will probably end up to have nothing to do with your problem. Well see.
 
I had a problem in a f150 similar to yours. The forks inside the transmission had somehow jammed, apparently common on high mileage m5od-r2's. I was able to fix it myself by removing the shifter and aligning all the pieces I could see inside the transmission so they were a mirror image - side to side and forward to back. I'm not saying this is what's happened to you but is an area to check.
Good luck,

Richard
 
I had a problem in a f150 similar to yours. The forks inside the transmission had somehow jammed, apparently common on high mileage m5od-r2's. I was able to fix it myself by removing the shifter and aligning all the pieces I could see inside the transmission so they were a mirror image - side to side and forward to back. I'm not saying this is what's happened to you but is an area to check.
Good luck,

Richard

try this i recently got a ranger for cheap cause the transmission was supposedly blown(the shifter wouldn't move at all) after i dropped the trans i decided to see what was wrong pulled the top cover and it was the fork for reverse jammed popped it back into neutral and now i can shift through all the gears fine.
 
... Sorry...
Sounds like you stripped the input/countershaft gears.

Super common failure of the M5, and requires a complete rebuild of the transmission. Good news is you can save the shift rails, tailshaft, and the case.

Usually cheaper to find a used transmission.
 
... Sorry...
Sounds like you stripped the input/countershaft gears.

Super common failure of the M5, and requires a complete rebuild of the transmission. Good news is you can save the shift rails, tailshaft, and the case.

Usually cheaper to find a used transmission.




i have seen the clutch spline on the disk crack and cause this on the 8 in clutches....usually when swapping a 4.0 in. i have had guys not want to buy the 4.0 starter, flywheel, mt engine plate, and clutch kit to save some coin when starting with an automatic donor and replacing a 2.9 in a fm146 truck..

the trans usually dies first but i have replaced the clutch disk....twice for one guy...then the trans died like a week later.

fawker got another 146 and killed it too.

then got a 2.9 m50d...kept the retarded clutch and broke it again.


i went to the junkyard and got all the shit for a 4.0 clutch setup
....got lucky as it was all pretty fresh. 20 bux... never even said thanks:dunno:

dude sold the truck for 600 bux because it had some trail rash etc but no rust at all..... and never told me he was selling it about a month after that.

and people think i am an asshole.






so let us know whats up with it.:icon_thumby:
 
well i broke my 4.0 clutch the same way.



whoops.....still tougher then a 2.9 clutch:thefinger:
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top