Help!!! 289 tranny and t-case question


Featured Build Threads

88-ranger

15+ Year Member

Joined
Jul 19, 2010
Messages
21
Points
3,101
Vehicle Year
1988
Transmission
Automatic
I'm starting to get all my parts together to do a 289 v8 swap in my 1988 extended cab 4x4 ranger. My 289 has an fmx tranny on it right now and I'm wondering if I can run that when I do the v8 swap? If not, what type of t-case can I run behind a c4 to where I don't have to buy a $500 kit to run a c4 with my stock t-case?
 
For a C4 if can find the tail end of a Ranger/Bronco II 4wd C5 it would bolt your C4 and stock t-case together.

Be forewarned... a C-series tranny is a 3 speed and not the best choice if you are going to do a lot of long distance-high speed driving.
 
What kind of transfer cases can I use with a c4, besides the stock 4x4 ranger one?
 
What kind of transfer cases can I use with a c4, besides the stock 4x4 ranger one?

the list is long, but from that list i suggest that you find an np205, it is pretty much the strongest t-case to come behind fords and GMs due to it's cast-iron case, and chain-less gear-to-gear operation.

but the biggest selling point for a guy stuffing it into a ranger is that despite its strength, the 205's outside dimensions are smaller than most other t-cases so it makes it easier to stuff into the smaller space and fit between the narrower frame-rails
 
Whats the best years for a c4 and np205? Also what kind of driveshaft mods would I need to do to run a np205?
 
Whats the best years for a c4 and np205? Also what kind of driveshaft mods would I need to do to run a np205?

nothing more than you'd need for most fullsize t-case swaps, having the correct u-joints added to the correct driveshaft.

i usually grab the driveshafts from the full size and have them shortened and the u joints added to fit your axles.
 
but the biggest selling point for a guy stuffing it into a ranger is that despite its strength, the 205's outside dimensions are smaller than most other t-cases so it makes it easier to stuff into the smaller space and fit between the narrower frame-rails

Yes, small and strong. I have one sitting around that I measured the other day to get a rough idea of how wide it is, so these measurements are within maybe a half inch. The outside of the case on the driver side was around 12" from the output shaft and the passenger side about 6", giving it a total width of about 18". Depending on if your motor is centered or offset just a bit to the passenger side, the 12" clearance requirement could be even less.
 
What about front drivershaft mods? I'm going to be upgrading to a d35 as soon as I do the v8 swap. What are some good auto 4-speed transmissons I could use to?
 
What about front drivershaft mods?

once it is all mounted and everything you measure for the length of each shaft, take the shafts that match the t-case (or your stock shaftsit really doesn't matter, the full size shafts are just usually beefier) down to the driveshaft shop and say " i need these shortened to: (insert measurement here), with yokes added to the ends to fit: (insert diff model here) "

wait a day or two, go pick them up and install them

What are some good auto 4-speed transmissons I could use to?

ford's 4-speed autos didn't get "good" until the 4R70W. which is entirely electronic and would require either the use of an ecm that came with a 4r70w or a stand alone transmission management computer (i think TCi makes one :icon_confused: ) do not waste your time with an a4ld
 
Last edited:
An AOD is a good transmission as long as you realize it's not a 4R100 and drive it sensibly.
 
What would you guys suggest for a transmission then?
 
i thought you were set on a c4 :dunno:
 
I am, just wanted to know if there was a better tranny I should use. Also what year tranny and t-case should I try to get that'll work well with a 289?
 
C4 (three speed) or AOD (4 speed overdrive) would be the easiest options for automatics.

For a dd that will see a lot of highway time AOD.
 
.


A couple things I like about the AOD over C4...

Overdrive. You can run steeper gears for more power, which is easier on the transmission, but still cruise the highway at a decent rpm.

Lock up converter for less heat and a little mpg.


.
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top