302 how big can i stroke it


Featured Build Threads

I like the stock 302's from the late 80's and 90's... even 180-200hp is fun in a Ranger size truck. There is a lot of hearsay about premature wear on 347's and probably a lot of truth to it but is it really that big of a problem for most people that just put one in a toy? I'm guessing MOST people are not putting hundreds of thousands of miles on their stroker engines...so is it really just a non-issue for the most part?

I'm going to build a 408 for my F150 someday. Motortrend had an article about doing that with specific parts and intentionally keeping the compression ratio low enough that you could run 87 octane and still make over 400hp. That sounds pretty attractive to me, I have no desire to buy premium and doubling the power my stock 302 makes now sounds great. That truck is already no slouch, EFI + 3.50 gears and being a relatively light vehicle to begin with make a great combo.

best of luck sir although i do plan on driving the heck out of my truck because i love the stupid thing
 
I like the stock 302's from the late 80's and 90's... even 180-200hp is fun in a Ranger size truck. There is a lot of hearsay about premature wear on 347's and probably a lot of truth to it but is it really that big of a problem for most people that just put one in a toy? I'm guessing MOST people are not putting hundreds of thousands of miles on their stroker engines...so is it really just a non-issue for the most part?

I'm going to build a 408 for my F150 someday. Motortrend had an article about doing that with specific parts and intentionally keeping the compression ratio low enough that you could run 87 octane and still make over 400hp. That sounds pretty attractive to me, I have no desire to buy premium and doubling the power my stock 302 makes now sounds great. That truck is already no slouch, EFI + 3.50 gears and being a relatively light vehicle to begin with make a great combo.




you really need to just plop a worn out 5.3 in there and then compare that.

that is a definition.


if the goal is the build experience than do the 351 stroker. you can do that and still have ac...not a problem.

get a chinese muncie and party





but a 6060 or tkx is smarter money.
 
you really need to just plop a worn out 5.3 in there and then compare that.

that is a definition.


if the goal is the build experience than do the 351 stroker. you can do that and still have ac...not a problem.

get a chinese muncie and party





but a 6060 or tkx is smarter money.

You're not wrong, any of the late model V8's would blow a Windsor stroker out of the water. Personally after driving and towing with a 2010 5.3, a 2017 Hemi 5.7, and a 2018 5.0 coyote, I would prefer the Hemi or Coyote by far. The 5.3 was a dog but maybe gear ratio played a big part in that. In any case truck donors for those engines are all cheap horsepower.

That's not the point though, I want to keep a Ford engine in it and be sort of period correct. I already have a 2wd ZF 5 speed, and a 351w came from the factory in bull nose trucks so swapping my 302 out for that is very easy. The goal is not a drag race truck... nor is it to save as much money as possible... I just want a really snappy fun truck to drive around town that is sort of unique - I don't know many guys who do 351w strokers. I might even put a carburetor on it.
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top