2002 Ranger Edge 3.0 4X4 MAP OR MAS?


Featured Build Threads

blue_strat

15+ Year Member

Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
14
Points
3,101
Vehicle Year
1990
Transmission
Manual
2002 Ranger Edge 3.0 4X4 MAP OR MAS? I'm told if I have a MAP, then I don't have a MAS and visa-versa. Is this true, or can it have both a MAP and a MAS? Thank you.
 
Sorry I can't answer your question. Do you mean "MAP or MAF"? as in Manifold Air Pressure or Mass Air Flow. MAS is new to me.

If you have a MAF, which I believe is what you should have, it will be attached to the air tube where it exits the air filter box. I also believe you are correct that ypu will only have one of those sensors and not both. It has to do with how the computer measures air mass and calculates corresponding fuel flow for the proper sir to fuel ratio.

And I removed your duplicate thread. You only need one thread per subject.
 
Rockauto only lists a MAF for that year. Unsurprising since most things went to MAF in the early 90s.

The 91 4.0 does have both sensors. But the "MAP" isn't actually connected to the intake and is called Barometric Pressure Sensor. By 92 someone figured out that was unnecessary.
 
Thanks for the duplicate removal. The first one didn't show up and I assumed it didn't go through and is the reason for the duplicate. My apologies for any misunderstanding.

As far as my MAS mention, I'm referring to the mass airflow sensor.

As far as the reason(s) for my post, usually once the truck is warmed up, it chugs at an idle, but smooths out under load. Then other times it doesn't chug at all at an idle, in traffic or otherwise. So I started researching what may be the cause. MAP, MAF, TPS, o2, etc. Currently in the trial by error stage. Already replaced TPS. Also no codes came up, so that's no help.
 
What rpm does it idle at? Is the Idle Air Control valve working and clean? Throttlebody clean? Absolutely no codes showing?

Hate to see people wasting money on "trial and error", or what we call the "parts canon".
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top