1991 ranger w/ factory towing pkg- how to tell its towing capicity?


Featured Build Threads

rangerpete

10+ Year Member

Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1
Points
1,501
Vehicle Year
1991
Transmission
Automatic
Hi everyone, I am sure questions like this get asked all the time, my 91 ranger seems to have come with a towing package as it has the wiring and the metal frame with the hitch attached bolted to the frame with just a 1 7/8" ball hitch.

My question is, I am trying to pull a 6'x10' uhaul trailer and the requirements for it are a 3500 lb hitch rating, and a 2" Hitch Ball, 2-3/16" Shank Length with a Ball Mount (2-1/4" drop, 7-1/2" length) uhaul is telling me i need the 2" ball with that size mount.

What i dont get is, if my ball is only 1 7/8" and is rated at 2,000 lb max, do I have to replace the entire ball mount and ball, or just put the new 2" ball on the old mount?

And most importantly, can I even tow this trailer then? I have no idea what my receiver (or what connects the hitch to my trucks frame) is rated at, I think it is factory, but I've been searching and searching and cant seem to find any info, thanks a lot to anyone who might have an idea what I need to do, I really appreciate it.
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top