• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Yup, Think I'm in da Rust'Belt eh....

cr_the_machinist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I was working on my brakes and removing my bad ABS sensor and I found my lf rain guard is in pretty ratty shape.... the other one was not this bad. Gonna replace them both when I do my pads and rotors. Take a look....

Crunchy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You should get your tire weights moved to the inside before they corrode your rims.

Also, does a rain guard = stone shild for the rotors? I can't tell, there isn't much of it left

cr_the_machinist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Haha.... I would but most of the time I'm either at work or at school. I'm already missing school today to work on my brakes. Yeah, grew up in the garage out in Maine with my dad... we called em rain guards, just like some people say grub screws and some say set screws. And its soda... not pop.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Hmmmm....maybe before you replace them give them a good coat or two of high-heat paint to help protect them...mine were partially rusted through but I managed to get them coated (sanded off the rust first) and back on...could not find replacements for them for under $100 from Ford...and most in the yard were as bad or worse than the ones I had...

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Gawd,

GAWD!!!

I just got to ask, where in the HELL do you guys get rusty vehicles? Ya drive behind a snow plow to work?

ALL three of my rangers have NO rust problems. I live in Illinois, and yes our roads are salted!

I supose its the engine oil leaks that coated my undercarriage with a coating of oil/dirt... but still wow.:shok:

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
why replace them? i banged mine up over a year ago and havent had issues with not having them. Its easier to rinse krap outa the breaks after whelin trips. why spend the money if ya dont have to. Anyways, I know how ya feel living in the rust belt

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Gawd,
GAWD!!!
I just got to ask, where in the HELL do you guys get rusty vehicles? Ya drive behind a snow plow to work?
ALL three of my rangers have NO rust problems. I live in Illinois, and yes our roads are salted!
I supose its the engine oil leaks that coated my undercarriage with a coating of oil/dirt... but still wow.:shok:
It depends on the location and what formula your roadsalt is made out of. Some places use worse chemicals than others.

cr_the_machinist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Gawd,

GAWD!!!

1. It's a daily driver (I have work or college everyday of the week)
2. It's a truck.... not a Porsche:haha:
3. The south eastern Michigan road crews around here are ridiculous..... the whip out the salt shakers when its 45* in the spring time.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I took those shields off my B2 when I changed out the axle beams. I didn't want to spend the money on them. Just one more place for rocks to get lodged.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You need to be FAITHFUL in washing your truck on a regular basis to remove the salt and then it won't rust near as fast.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
why replace them? i banged mine up over a year ago and havent had issues with not having them. Its easier to rinse krap outa the breaks after whelin trips. why spend the money if ya dont have to. Anyways, I know how ya feel living in the rust belt
X2
Both of mine looked as bad as yours. Off they went, and I never looked back.

My brother's Exploder is missing one too. Looked exactly the same way. But the other side was fine... wierd...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I was considering not putting them on but managed to restore them enough...I would think they are to reduce crud from getting on the rotor...but if you guys say they are not really needed then they will come off sooner or later on my truck...

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Gawd,

GAWD!!!

Here in Mass. I get to work on some of the worst vehicles in terms of rust. I regularly get 90s fullsize Chevy pickups with the rear most part of the frame rails basically rusted off and the only thing holding it together is the trailer hitch.

Or on fullsize Fords I always see holes big enough in the fenders that I can put my fist through them. It's fun.

Whatever they use in New England is terrible for vehicles, it eats them alive. That's why an acetylene/oxygen torch is a MUST for working on vehicles around here.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Why would you need to cut them if they are rusted so bad? Just a few whacks of a good hammer and they'll break...lol

I had a minor accident last summer that pushed the inner fenders out of shape on my Zuki...they looked solid before but what I found is they were brittle with rust and basically fell apart when I tried to bend them back into shape...more work than I'd planned on...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals