• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

XP vs Vista

michowski

Reaction score
all vista is or a new look. Something that looks pretty. XP is still going to beat out vista I say. Thats why all computer sites like dell, sony, ect put xp back in because nobody wants vista. sp3 will be out shortly to for xp and its supposed to increase speed a lot from what ive read. Il be sticking with xp for a while longer.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
all vista is or a new look. Something that looks pretty. XP is still going to beat out vista I say. Thats why all computer sites like dell, sony, ect put xp back in because nobody wants vista. sp3 will be out shortly to for xp and its supposed to increase speed a lot from what ive read. Il be sticking with xp for a while longer.
Vista is pita JUNK. DO NOT buy Vista! If you're buying a new pc instead of building it like you should....go to the business section (not the home consumer) of the computer vendor's site and you'll find the option for XP there, not just VISTA. If you don't find the XP option, run to another vendor! Stick with XP preferably the Professional version...it works pretty well, is proven, drivers for most everything are compatible with it, uses way less ramm, I could go on and on. 2000 Professional was very stable and dependable and I stuck with that until just recently. I'll be sticking with XP for alot longer.

Last edited:

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I have a copy of vista I used on my newer PC. It crashed the other day and I reloaded XP Media Center.... Vista is pretty, but after about the 100th time you have to push the "allow" button just to change a desktop background or something simple, it gets very old!

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
And Vista needs 2GB of memory to run good....I've run XP just fine on 512KB, but 1MB to 2MB is alot nicer.

michowski

Reaction score
I got a free vista upgrade with my alienware Earlier in the year. I installed it and about 30 minutes later I formatted and put xp back on lol. Took literally 2 minutes for the stupid os to load. I have 2 gig of ram. Everything about it was really annoying. It was all for show and no real go.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My first PC ran DOS 3.1 on a 80x88 Tandy 1000. Talk about slow! I rocked a 486 25mhz for a long time when I was a kid, slowly moved up. I think I paid $100 for 4mb (might have been 8) of memory at some point to run the first Need for Speed demo. I remember being reluctant to upgrade to Win95 for the longest time.

Now I am CHEAP when it comes to PCs. My current PC was used, I paid $100, but it's a 1.4GZ, 512MB DDR of ram, 60GB HDD, 128MB ATI video, etc. My last PC was a Duron 1.1GZ, 394MB SDRam, 128MB GeForce, etc. Huge improvement... I just cobble parts together for the best machine I can build out of what I have availiable. I couldn't see my self buying a brand new machine, it will be obsolete as soon as I get it out of the door. Computer parts loose value worse than cars.

Vista is the most inefficient piece of software I've ever seen. The #1 thing that got me was that they're utilizing video memory for the operating system. Any operating system that needs 1GB of ram to run itself and other applications is outragous. Most of it is eye candy. Hopefully they'll still offer XP for a while, MS is basically sticking a turd in everyones face and telling them to eat it.

I just run Windows 2000. It works, and memory consumption is low. Once you run out, it starts paging to your drive (virtual memory), which REALLY slows things down.

Pete

Twitch57

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
vista is like aids
-you know you've been f---ed
and they have yet to find a cure

TeamExploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV+SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I too like XP Pro really nice haven't tried Vista much but heard poor things about it, playing with it at circuit city was enough for me not to care much for it.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I remember reading all the same crap when XP first came out. Wait for the first service pack if you aren't computer savvy. I have vista on my laptop and it is easy and good IF you know how to configure the security settings.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My first PC ran DOS 3.1 on a 80x88 Tandy 1000. Talk about slow! I rocked a 486 25mhz for a long time when I was a kid, slowly moved up. I think I paid $100 for 4mb (might have been 8) of memory at some point to run the first Need for Speed demo. I remember being reluctant to upgrade to Win95 for the longest time.

Now I am CHEAP when it comes to PCs. My current PC was used, I paid $100, but it's a 1.4GZ, 512MB DDR of ram, 60GB HDD, 128MB ATI video, etc. My last PC was a Duron 1.1GZ, 394MB SDRam, 128MB GeForce, etc. Huge improvement... I just cobble parts together for the best machine I can build out of what I have availiable. I couldn't see my self buying a brand new machine, it will be obsolete as soon as I get it out of the door. Computer parts loose value worse than cars.
My first computer I bought new (my wife did, I had never used a computer before) in 1995--I still have it. It was a Pentium 75 Packard Bell with maybe 4Mb Ram. It's now sporting a 200Mhz MMX overdrive processor and 120Mb ram with the video memory upgraded with 2 weird 500K chips to 2Mb. I bought it with 3.1 on it, upgraded to 95, then to 98. It was running poorly by then with what we were using it for, so I bought a Compaq--which died in three years. Then I used a couple laptops. Then I got Windows XP. For grins, I put XP on the old PB and you know what? It's useable. When this POS Toshiba takes it's semi-annual vacation to the service depot, I use my 12 y/o Packard Bell--it's fine if you aren't folding DNA. XP is by far the best Windows system so far. A lot of the old sotgware won't work with it, but it does a damn good job without needing vendor software.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
why use either when there are more capable operating systems widely available for free?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
if i had to take a guess, i would say that its aero, vistas 3d desktop, that is making vista so hated. my girlfriend has a new dell with the basic vista installed and it looks and acts just like xp and has yet to crash or cause any problems.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Vista is a good OS, if you do a little configuring and have the right hardware. People load it up on their XP machine and expect it to do just as well as XP performance-wise, even though Vista is 6 years newer. It would be like loading XP on a Windows 3.11 machine and expecting the same speed.

This same talk occured when XP came out. Windows is a good OS for both client and server platforms, which is why so many people use it and why so many large businesses rely on the server platforms to run their operations.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals