• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Would a 2010 key fob work with 2003?

fiddlermd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Transmission
Automatic
would love to replace my cheesy fob with the integrated one that came on 2010+
are they compatible? what's the process to duplicating/programming?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

fiddlermd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Transmission
Automatic
i didnt realize these cars even had pats.. i just hate the dangle of key/fob combo.. would like to combine into one

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I've managed to eliminate the danging key fob use my key to open the door instead of the fob. Takes up a lot less room in my pocket this way.

fiddlermd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Transmission
Automatic
my key doesn't fit in the door.... it starts the car and operates the airbag switch but not the doors.. i got the truck used so i have no idea the history.. changing cylinders seems like a pain in the ass

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Changing the door lock cylinders is pretty easy, but then you would have two keys, kinda back at square one. I would think you would have to change both the doors and the ignition at the same time, still not hard, but more money.

I bet if you brought a door lock cylinder somewhere you could get them to make you a key for it, but again you would have two keys.

I know the door locks and the ignition use different cuts of the same key. I think here is seven cuts, door uses three, ignition uses five, they overlap on one?

Is it possible that your key is missing some cuts?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Door locks are not a big deal to remove, just a tab on the back edge of the door
Picture here:
Thats the back side of the lock cylinder(and the door handle), there is a black tab that holds the lock in place, that slides out to release the cylinder, you do this from the outside, at the back edge of the door
Then the cylinder "pulls out" of the door
Look at the back edge of your door and you will see that tab

On most models you can pull out the cylinder with the bar still attached, and then grip the bar with needle nose vise grips so it can't fall back inside the door
Remove the lock and "re-key it", then put it back in

Google: rekey ford door lock cylinder

Door locks can be re-keyed to match your current ignition key, by any locksmith, or you can buy kits, but if you don't have a working key the kit won't help much, locksmith would be better bet

All 1999 to 2011 V6 Rangers had PATS, it was an OPTION in 1998 Rangers with V6 engine
4cyl Rangers didn't get PATS until mid-2001 with the 2.3l DOHC Duratec engines
2005 was skipped, no PATS, for all Ranger models in that year

Last edited:

vigness

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The fobs are fairly universal, not sure about the ones integrated into the key itself. I have the same fob on a 2012 Edge, a 2005 F-150, a 2003 Ranger, and a 1998 Ranger.

The ignition locks all interchanged, the door locks may or may not. The '98 did not have the switch on the back of the door locks or the space to add them, all the others have the extended tail piece for the switch.

WARNING: You can key them alike, but the minute you program a PATS key into a vehicle, it will no longer function in the previous vehicle. Found that out the hard way, and had to winch the Ranger up on a trailer and haul it to the dealership to have keys programmed. Went out and ordered FORScan the next day with the extended license. That being said, even if it's not programmed into the PATS system, it will still unlock the doors. I have a metal blank, no PATS head, hidden in the truck for lockouts, and am getting a second one for flat towing so the cops can't write me a ticket for key in the ignition when towing.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can key them alike, but the minute you program a PATS key into a vehicle, it will no longer function in the previous vehicle.
This in not the case, unless you mis-wrote it or I misunderstood it

PATS software has no communication outside of the vehicle, and can do nothing to a PATS key itself

You could program and use the same PATS key in as many vehicles as you want, obviously locks would need to be the same so key would turn the cylinder

All a PATS key is, is a 80bit number on an RFID tag embedded in the handle of the key, thats the number you program into the computer, any PATS computer, and as many PATS computers as you want
So that RFID tag number would be recognized as a Valid key, by any of those computers
Why you would want to do that I don't know, but you could

You could have an F-150, a Mustang, and a Ranger all keyed the same and have one PATS key that worked to start them all

80bit is the same as a 10 to 13 place password, depends on the numbers, letters or symbols you use, lol
So its a pretty strong "key" to hack

Last edited:

vigness

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
WARNING!!!!!

I had an 05 F-150 and a 03 Ranger. When you program a key into another vehicle, it changes something in the key and IT WILL NOT WORK IN THE PREVIOUS VEHICLE.

Found out the hard way and had to put the Ranger on a trailer and haul it up to the dealership to get two keys working in it again. ( This was before I discovered ForSCAN. )

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
One thing to consider is; fiddlermd's keys may fit the door locks, but the door locks may be stuck. That is very common on Rangers when the key is rarely used in the door locks. I had that problem and I had to play with them awhile to get them to work. They are probably stuck again since I don't use the keys in the door locks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
WARNING!!!!!

I had an 05 F-150 and a 03 Ranger. When you program a key into another vehicle, it changes something in the key and IT WILL NOT WORK IN THE PREVIOUS VEHICLE.

Found out the hard way and had to put the Ranger on a trailer and haul it up to the dealership to get two keys working in it again. ( This was before I discovered ForSCAN. )

I think you have posted this before

Its NOT true

I don't doubt you had a key issue but it was not because PATS key, or a Fob, was "changed" by programming it to another vehicle
The PATS system is just an RFID tag reader

PATS key has an RFID tag inside it's handle, it has a unique number that can not be changed
So nothing in "adding a key" programming can effect the key

You can buy Blank RFID PATS keys and they can be programmed with an RFID tag reader/writer, thats how people can Clone PATS keys, cheaper alternative to "adding a key"
The reader/writer reads the number off your Working PATS key, and then Writes that number to the Blank key
Key is cut to match your lock, and you have a spare working key, the PATS system "thinks" it's the same key

RFID tags are used in many application and are very reliable but anything can fail
The transceiver(antenna around key slot) is also very reliable but can fail
These two scenarios are more likely the cause of the experience you had

Automatic Erasing
PATS programming and Fob programming have Automatic Erasing of all numbers in memory
So sometimes if you "add a key" PATS erases all the other keys in memory, so you have to add all the keys you have back
I believe Forscan does this because you have to add TWO keys when programming, can't just "add a key" to existing keys in memory

For Fobs it is for sure a full erasure
When you do the 8 on/off cycles to program in a new fob, that erases ALL previous Fobs
Then you have to add all fobs you have back to memory or they will no longer work

vigness

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sorry, but my checking account will beg to differ, and it was back up by a required trip to the dealership.

Notice I said KEY. Wanted to make sure he's aware of the possibility.

Granted, this was the old system in an '03 and an '05. But adding the keys into the '05 killed them in the '03. It is quite possible this is not a factor in the newer vehicles. Worst case, add one to the other vehicle and then see if it will start the first.

I've had nothing but Fords, and am quite familiar with adding keys and fobs. In my case it was a key scenario. I do have the same fob in several vehicles, so that side is good. No experience with the integrated key / fob.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals