• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

winter/snow rated tires

neondave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
been looking for winter/snow tires for the rear of my 1994 Ranger. It has 14" wheels and have had no luck. A store called Les Swab shows a 225-70-14 wintercat sst but the local dealer cant say if or when that tire might be available, ant ideas ?

When ya have 14" wheels , your out of luck. Thanks,Dave ( Colorado )

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
been looking for winter/snow tires for the rear of my 1994 Ranger. It has 14" wheels and have had no luck. A store called Les Swab shows a 225-70-14 wintercat sst but the local dealer cant say if or when that tire might be available, ant ideas ?

When ya have 14" wheels , your out of luck. Thanks,Dave ( Colorado )
Two things:

First, I would recommend buying FOUR. You'll find that, while two winter tires on the rear axle would give you better traction for acceleration, four winter tires (two on each axle) will also give you better traction for steering and braking, given that most of your braking is done on the front axle.

Second, not all tire brands are available in every size. I never bought them, but in 2016, I was able to source a set of Firestone Winterforce tires for my Ranger on 14's.

Which ever tire you get, I would suggest getting them studded. I had Firestone Winterforce tires on my Fit that were studded. They were loud, but I REALLY liked the traction!

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
First, I would recommend buying FOUR. You'll find that, while two winter tires on the rear axle would give you better traction for acceleration, four winter tires (two on each axle) will also give you better traction for steering and braking, given that most of your braking is done on the front axle.
This.

as for studded, most states in the US do not allow unless you are a postal carrier. Check with your state. if they are allowed, yeah, get the grippies :)

and for a little bit of cost (maybe 100 bucks or less) you can get a set of steel junkyard 15 inch Ranger rims and open up your possibilities much wider.

AJ

neondave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
yes, my old snow tires are winterforce , but a local tire shop said that size is discontinude :(

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Depending on what the truck is used for, chains are another option. I love my nasty v bar chains, I can get through crap with them in my 2wd ranger that will stop most jeeps. But they are a massive pain in the ass taking on and off and will rattle your teeth out if you go above 30mph. I'd do what @97RangerXLT suggested and just go buy a really cheap set of junkyard steel 15" rims. Its always better to have 2 sets of rims for your winter and summer tires anyway.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Remove tire from rim.

Shoot roofing nails everywhere

Refill with two cans fix a flat

14" studded tires.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Snow tires use a compound that stays pliable under 40degF
Regular, or 3 season, tire compounds start to get hard under 40deg, and have a real hard time gripping under 30deg

But regular tires are fine up to 100deg
Snow tires will start to wear heavily above 60deg, wears off the softer tread faster, so you DO NOT want to run snow tires in warmer weather

So I would do as 97RangerXLT suggested, get 4 steel plain jane rims at wrecking yard and then get snow tires for those
But find a deal on the snow tires FIRST so you know what size rims to get
And you can sometimes find used snow tires at the wrecking yards but the staff there usually take the best ones, lol

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Jackpot! Move up to 15's, as mentioned above. The tire size you want is 205/70/15. TireRack has Firestone Winterforce, and they're studdable. Link: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=12345&width=205/&ratio=70&diameter=15&rearWidth=205/&rearRatio=70&rearDiameter=15&performance=W&cameFrom=WinterSection

Now all you need is a set of rims, and TireRack has those, too. Just get cheap steal rims, and they might even ship them to you mounted. Or, as mentioned above, you can get rims from a junk yard. Most tire shops will take your tires and rims, and mount them for you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals