• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Will a Toyota Solid Axle fit??

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
86-88 toy rear diffs From truck/4runner with IFS front suspension are 59.5'' wide. Toyota Solid axle front diffs are 56.5'' wide.

The trick is to take the IFS wheel hubs from any IFS toyota pickup/runner and install them onto the solid axle spindle, It all interchanges, wheel bearings are even the same :icon_thumby:

By installing the IFS wheel hubs (Hubs that hold the wheel bearings and races) ) you add 1.5'' width per side, Which brings the Front toyota solid axle to a width of 59.5'' with no wheel spacers. That's the exact setup shown above, and just to clarify theres no wheel spacers on that rig. Hope that clears it up for ya
This is my front diff in the Rover too, ifs front wheel hubs, only I have spacers on the rear axle to match width, really want to find an ifs Toy rear axle as they are the width to match my front without spacers. My 40's still rub the leaf springs tho, lol.

How are you attaching your front calipers and what rotors are you using for the ifs hub conversion, if you don't mind me asking? Pics would be great!

Thanks man!

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
personally i'd love to have a yota front axle.. i thought about it for awhile but figured it was to much work/money...

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
I helped turn 1 into drivers drop for a buddies Mazda a coulpe years back, it's a lot of work, not as much as narrowing an axle imo, but didn't need any custom parts aside from the hi-steer he wanted to add.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
wouldn't take anymore money than my plan now...

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
If you dont know what your talking About you shouldnt post misleading information, Or repeat what wqas already posted in the post before yours. It makes things more difficult for the people that are looking for serious info on a swap like this to acually find it, Thanks.

It is 100x the work of narrowing a dana 44, and takes some serious fab knowledge and welding ability to be able to do that much welding to the 1/8'' stamped steel housing and end up with a straight true product.
As I posted above, this is my opinion from experiencing this first hand. I'm trying not to take offence of your last post.

First off where is this post above that I repeated? Unless it was one of my older posts in this thread, then well....fine then, you got me repeating myself, oops.

Second off the housings on the toy mini truck 8" are 3/16 stamped steel, not 1/8th, maybe you should get your facts straight before posting "misleading information."

I'm pretty sure a 1/8th inch thick stamped steel axle housing would fold under the weight of the stock Toyota.

I prefer to do things the easy way if at all possible. Work smart not hard.

Third, when we did the one for my buddies Mazda, we cut and rotated the swivel balls IN the housing, flipped the dropout upside down by re-drilling 4 holes in the drop out that didn't line up for the flipped drop out and grind a notch on the flange top and bottom for the ring gear to pass through.

Hardest part was rotating the swivels around 180degrees and getting both sides lined up as close to perfect castor as we could, the swivel balls are pressed/inserted into the house ends a ways and don't need to come out if you can help it.

The only cuts to the housing "necessary" are roughly 3/16 of an inch deep all the way around the swivel ball weld at the ends of the housing so you can rotate the swivels upside down. Since the swivel housings are pressed into the housing ends you get a straight true product in the end. There was no camber change on this axle from start to finish nor was there any warpage.

Once your happy with your castor angles, weld the swivels back in as well as your suspension brackets/perches, then re-assemble making sure to put the knuckles back on the correct side of the vehicle and the rest is what ever aftermarket parts you want to add to your now drivers drop Toy axle.

This is EXACTLY what we did, no misleading information here.

He's been driving it this way for several years now with no problems. This project took the better part of a Sunday to disassemble, cut, rotate, drill, grind, weld and re-assemble.

That's the step by step of the job we did. Doesn't sound misleading to me. It's pretty straight forward imo.

Why it's taking you all this extra work is your deal man, not mine. The fact that your cutting the housing all up is why it's taking "serious fab knowledge and welding ability" and a ton of time and labour too I bet. This step certainly isn't necessary or maybe even safe, at least not for what we were after, again IMO. You do what you gotta do buddy and if all this extra work is to beef up the housing, that's cool, but it really doesn't need much beefing as far as I am concerned.

I've narrowed a d60 and a d44 and for me these were way more labour intensive, heavier parts, more cutting, more cleaning, more grinding.... ie. more work.

So I guess your not going to show us all what calipers and rotors you used??

Are you a vendor on here? I see you were trying to sell parts or a service in this thread?

If you want to compare notes, I'm game.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ive flipped more then a couple toyota axles in the manner he described, all drove perfectly alinged properly, never warped and passed NJ Stability inspection.

now....should your average joe attempt this....hell no lol, im also a ASE cert mechanic whose been doing this kind of shit since before i could drive

but on the same note, i couldnt setup gears to save my life if u asked me to lol

im considering doing this with my bronco 2, the ttb brackets for lift are going to cost me more then putting a toyota axle in it.....

not trying to start a argument, is this the way a shop would do it, of course not, but its worked effectivly when i have done it

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
thats how i plan i doing it :dunno:

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
not really sure how to put it but that all seems very very expensive and over complicated. now if the truck was going on the street then yea i may go that route. But considering it does sound so overcomplicated and you would have to pay a welder his $ for 6 hours as you said plus the cost to cover these machines chances are i wouldnt go that route at all.

especially scince most people would have to do a cut and turn to the birfield cups (housings, swivel balls whatever you wanna call them) what would stop me from doing it all the way around 180 degrees then i flip my 3rd drill and tap new holes in the housing NOT the dropout that way if i somehow i break a drop out (which i have never seen done except on a dragster with well over 1500 horse) i can throw a new one in.

buy 2x2 square tubing make my perches like i just did last night then your done.

not trying to bash what your doing in fact if i had the $ id probally buy one of the housings you sell but fact is most ppl dont have an unlimited budject and the original question was can you fit a toyota axle in a ranger and we have all proven that yes there are many ways to do so.

you can do like bones said and do it at home,

you can buy branger2b's housing, (or complete axle as im sure he sells one)

or you could grab a divorced np205 throw it in with a 2wd transmission and have your passenger side drop for the front driveshaft.

thats one thing that bothers me ppl seem to think that there is only one way to do somthing. isnt the whole point of modifying vehicles to make them different then everyone elses? it seems that as soon as someone suggests a different way of doing somthing then whoever has been doing it thier own way jumps in a says no your wrong my ways better. fact is both would work. we dont all wanna end up like the jeepers all running the same lifts and same tires and same lockers because thats what everyone else said works good.

Last edited:

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ive been doing things the way people dont agree for a long time, if it works, is solid and doesnt break then im all for it. pretty much all there is to it

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
Nope you did that all on your own. I flat out said that I'd. Go with your route If I had. The $ BUT if you didn't it would be possible to do in the fashion that bones described. And what you think I'd really be sooooooooo stumped as to why the 3rd wouldn't get back into the housing without further modification just by you acting that it's so hard I already realized that I would need to cut the "diff cover" out and flip it as well. Otherwise the ring gear that is offcentered would hit. And as for the perch size big deal you caught me picking random dimensions outta my head sorry. Your right I should get 2.5" by 2.5" square tubing I just said 2x2 because that's what i just had to use on my samurai so the number was in my head already. Fact is you proved my point about ppl that do somthing one way and are conviced that it is the only way to do it. And for what it's worth of I had any reason to get another Toyota axle and do it again I would for sure put all my pics up here . But considering that 4 out of the 5 trucks I'm currently working on all have a pssenger side diff I don't have to and the last truck is getting going to be the nissan body and frame that's all everything under it will be chevy as well as the motor.

Last edited:

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
LOL, nice one Branger, no you did a great job making yourself look bad all by youself.

What I find weird is how you can build a whole housing and then talk about trouble with the angle on a perch, interesting.

Here's just the first few Pirate threads I found, in 5 seconds, documenting the process exactly as I described, it ain't rocket science and any of you guys looking to go this route, check it out on Pirate, pictures, details and all.

There's also several "other" companies that sell drivers drop custom Toy housings for a few hun, so shop around.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=648758&page=4
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=562853&highlight=flipped+toyota+axle+drivers+drop
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=766368&highlight=flipped+toy+axle

Redder

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
This is some funny shit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals