• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

wife wants a Jeep

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I'm having a bit of a problem trying to figure out a woman using a tj as a daily driver. Where on earth is she going to put her shopping, trailer perhaps.
Come to think of it, every woman needs to go shopping in a TJ...so they can't bring home loads of useless $h!t !!!
SVT

Ranger Dave (B25)

U.S. Military - Veteran
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't vote Democrat.
jeeps are cool man, its the only chrysler product worth to own
NO Chysler product is worth owning. They're garbage, cheaply-made disposable vehicles. I've worked on too many of them for other people to even consider buying one for myself. EVER.

Jeep people are like Harley people: you can point out the obvious flaws in their products, and they will STILL go out and waste perfectly good money on them, then bitch and moan when they break.

Last edited:

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
I have to agree, people with jeeps seem to think they are far more valuable than what they actually are. I just skimmed craigslist there was a tj with 209k miles, for 8k! Some tjs for 8-10k with 120k+ miles! WTF is wrong with these fools!

And yes before someone quotes my post "It's a jeep thing you won't understand" I can't understand because my head is not up my ass like them!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There's a pretty clean CJ-7 for sale nearby, with just a bikini top, for $7k. I don't mean to insult any Jeep fans, but I just can't bring myself to pay that for a 30 year old truck with no A/C or any of the modern features.
I don't think I could bring myself to pay that for any jeep, even with all the modern bells and whistles.

Well, maybe an old Wagoneer, but it would have to be MINT.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm having a bit of a problem trying to figure out a woman using a tj as a daily driver. Where on earth is she going to put her shopping, trailer perhaps.
thankfully, she's not much of a shopper.

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
NO Chysler product is worth owning. They're garbage, cheaply-made disposable vehicles. I've worked on too many of them for other people to even consider buying one for myself. EVER.

Jeep people are like Harley people: you can point out the obvious flaws in their products, and they will STILL go out and waste perfectly good money on them, then bitch and moan when they break.
I will agree with half that Dave!

The 03 Cherokee we have has been really good and reliable. We got it 3 grand under loan value,I didn't leave the lot upside down on a bank note for a used ride.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic

what makes me feel ok with a Wrangler is the engine has hardly been changed since the AMC days, all the axles and gearboxes are made by the same companies that make them for everyone else, and they're so absurdly simple.

I agree Harleys are way overpriced for what they are too, but I can say a modern Harley is pretty darn reliable these days. They've made HUGE advances in that department. I just wish they'd expand their market a bit with some modern options like Triumph has with their old school AND new school offerings.

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dana 30 front, Dana 35 rear starting in the 87 YJ Wrangler, continued with the TJ through till the JK. I know the D30 is in the front of the JK, but not so sure of the rear...

XJ Cherokee had a D44 as an option in 87 and some 88s with the tow package. ZJ Grand Cherokees had a D44HD which had an aluminum center section. OK for towing, but limited on gearing choices, the ring gear is nearly D60 sized though... D30s were in three flavors, High pinion, center disconeect, high pinion no disco and low pinion. ALL XJs though 99 had high pinion, the center disconnect axles went away about 92. ALL ZJ Grands were low pinion, some used CV axle shafts, some were U joints. I guess one could argue the WJ Grands were a 4th flavor, offering a 5 on 5 pattern, better brakes and over the knuckle steering, factory...

For the Wranglers, only the TJ Rubicon and the LJ Unlimited had a D44 rear. The Rubicon D44 front is a true D44 except for the D30 outers and knuckles.

Now, some of us are also Jeep guys here... I like my ZJ over an Explorer anyday. Smaller, lighter weight, and the solid front axle. I also have an Explorer, much nicer highway ride and roomier than my ZJ. I've had good and bad from the big three, and they are all excellent or all crap...

Boghog1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My G/F's dad owns a 2002 TJ 4.0L 5spd, he has about 125K on his motor, and his has spun a bearing.....The G/F has a 97 XJ with 204K and the radiator literally blew the plastic tank off the side (this is the 2nd one in less than a year)...I'll never own a jeep, too many problems, too cheaply made

It's a jeep thing, you wouldn't understand...
SVT
[sarcasm]yes ford engines never break down nor would they ever use plastic in parts like radiators. maybe in the 204k miles it lost a head gasket. I know those last for ever in fords[sarcasm/]face it all things mechanical break down I have had good and bad luck with every make and model of vehicle I have ever owned. and neglect by previous owners plays a major factor in the longevity of any vehicle when buying used.

Boghog1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have to agree, people with jeeps seem to think they are far more valuable than what they actually are. I just skimmed craigslist there was a tj with 209k miles, for 8k! Some tjs for 8-10k with 120k+ miles! WTF is wrong with these fools!

And yes before someone quotes my post "It's a jeep thing you won't understand" I can't understand because my head is not up my ass like them!
same can be said with Ranger owners, when I was looking I saw a 98 4x4 extended cab 4.0 MT and manual windows and locks and they wanted 10k for it due to "low" mileage. used car prices in general have gone up since O did the cash for clunkers thing

Sighman

04/2011 & 04/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I also own a Jeep, its an 01 wrangler (sport) so it has the 44 rear which I have Detroit locked and CM axles. Front is still the D30 but also locked and CM axles. I run 35's and have taken it many many places and have had little problems with breakage. I love the no doors, no top. Anyone down here in East Texas lets go wheelin!

Currently building the 2WD 88 ranger XLT with my son but it will be street not off road.

I have found that Jeeps are expensive to buy used but the part prices are coming down finally!

tiresmokindad

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My jeep is great fits anywhere I need to park goes anywhere I need to go topless what else you need?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Kind of like Ranger people huh?:icon_thumby:

Mine has been anything but reliable... had it 10 years this fall and have been brave enough to put 20k miles on it.

I have big plans for it, but can't seem to get the money to fix it when I have the time...

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic

Oh come on! Comparing the Jeepsters to the Harley's, that's gone too far.

What the Jeep is, it is a status symbol. It's the ONLY thing that Chrysler makes that I would *even* consider driving.

The Jeep has INCREDIBLE, JUST GOD-LIKE AFTER MARKET, loaded with accessories.

It also has removable doors and a tilt down windshield. I would buy it over a Toyota FJ Cruiser just for those two items, also they took all the fun stuff out of the FJ line, just remember the old FJ- 40.

Last edited:

TimV

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I would think twice about that...Factory 44 rear's had aluminum centersections....
SVT
Only the Grand Cherokee's came with the Dana 44HD. The Wranglers that came with a Dana 44 rear was a standard 44, not an aluminum centered one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals