• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

wierd question...

akalogan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok today was dog washing day. Now my beagle hates water that isn't in his water dish, however my big girl Molly the mutt, she gets in the water whenever she can. But on bath day she is a quivering coward? I just don't get it! Now the beagle the only time I saw him cross water openly was when he saw a squirrel It was one of the fastest I have ever seen him move also. So I guess that my question really is what the hell is going on with my pup that loves the water, but avoids baths like the plague?

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Maybe the temp of the water? Feeling confined?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
my mutt is the same way. if we are near water, like a lake or a river/stream/creek, he will pretty much drag me along the ground to go jump in. even it's cold as hell, he wants to jump in.

when it comes to taking a bath though, he hates it. he minds very well, and he'll stay in the tub while i bath him, but as soon as i tell him he can get out, he is outta there. and at anytime if i say "bath" he runs away, he wont come near a bathroom with me unless i say its ok. its pretty funny.

maybe they hate the soap, i dont know

akalogan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah it sounds like Molly, although she is one of the most well behaved non-trained dogs I have ever seen! Barring squirrels of course, or someone she doesn't know.

akalogan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
For superdave I try and keep the water warm but not hot and I use a pitcher instead of a shower nozzle or the like. the confined thing might be something though

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
you guys are to nice-warm water, I wait for the sunshine to be shining take that smelly bitch outside hose her down, soap her up, rinse her off (the whole time fighting me). Then she is appreciative by running as fast as she can through my tiny condo knocking everyone in her path over.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Kids fight cleanliness too, its a baser instinct I think. LOL

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
I think your pups like the water when its on THEIR terms. Its their choice to get wet. But when you wash her, its not on her terms therefore not her choice. This might make her feel uncomfortable. Its ironic, that my chocolate lab loves her water. She can be IN the pool and if I bring a hose near she's out and she'll keep her distance. So, I bought a kitty pool and when she's laying in there in the summer I grab some baby soap and lather her up.

akalogan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I really like that Idea!she might even like to get washed on those conditions. I wash my dogs every week so she and he would have to suffer during the colder months. but if they would go that route it would make life easier. Thank you very much for the idea.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My dog does the same thing. I think they just don't like water falling on them b/c he hates rain too. He will stick his whole head under the water at the creek and dig around for rocks until he finds one he likes (I have videos of him doing this) and one time I even saw him keep his head submerged for 2 whole minutes looking for a tennis ball that sank, but the second a few drops hit him from above, he is gone.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've had two labs that were the same way - would swim all day but hated baths. I've got an English Cocker Spaniel who jumps in our pool just to cool off in the summer but she looks at me like i'm going to beat her when I pull out the doggy shampoo. None of mine ever liked it - but tolerated it.

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Some dogs don't like water in the ears. I don't blame them. => Some dogs like most labs. you actively have to keep Out of the water. Ever see a dog fish? mine does. he doesn't catch fish but he thinks frogs are awesome.

The other dog has a former tether ball it barely qualifies as a ball anymore but if you stand on the hill beside the lake. he will bring the ball to the top. and drop the ball at the top. the ball then rolls down hill into the lake. hes a black lab so. guess what? anyways. when he has the ball again. he brings it to the top of the hill........

You don't have to do anything. just stand there. or sit. he doesn't care. the question being how long will he do it? Untill he drowns.. or can't climb the hill anymore. =>

souldoubt88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As soon as I wash my dog she starts looking for something stinky to roll around in. I think most dogs prefer the smell of a dead fish to shampoo.

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
the beagle wouldn't be in my house

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals