• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Widest wheels you have ran?

Kylem40

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
As the title states I'd like to know more on what people have actually ran on their rangers. I am in the slow process of swapping an 8.8 from a 97 explorer in my ranger the brake upgrade and best of all lowering it. Il ln be doing the 3 inch drop I beams up front and as for brakes I'm doing the sport trac 12 inch rotor up front. The 8.8 came with disks as well so those are getting drilled and slotted to. I want to go with 18 inch wheels. I've seen the black saleen replicas which I really like and those are 18x9 front and 18x10 rear. But they are +24 in front and +22 in rear. Now I have seen the wheel fitment guildline on TRS but I want to see what people actually have on their trucks. I've also seen some custom wheels that I like as well. I really would like to avoid spacers but I dont want a super negative offset like the wheel guide was trying to say for a 10 inch wide wheel. Can anyone share what they are running and pictures and a little info? I really very much appreciate it and yes I'm still doing my searching so forgive me if this has been touched on.

Kylem40

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
Oh sorry and my ranger is a 95. Forgot to mention that if it at all helps in any way.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
18x9 or 18x10 Mustang wheels are very common on lowered Rangers (I run FR500 replicas on mine).
If you get Mustang wheels, you'll want wheels for 04 and older Mustangs as the offsets work better with our trucks. Depending on the center bore of the wheels you may need a small spacer in the front. That just depends on the wheel design.

Kylem40

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
18x9 or 18x10 Mustang wheels are very common on lowered Rangers (I run FR500 replicas on mine).
If you get Mustang wheels, you'll want wheels for 04 and older Mustangs as the offsets work better with our trucks. Depending on the center bore of the wheels you may need a small spacer in the front. That just depends on the wheel design.

Awesome! Thank for the tip!

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I had 17x9s (‘04 Cobra wheels) on my ‘01 with no issues. I had to open the center bore and couldn’t fit the center caps on the front.

Kylem40

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
I had 17x9s (‘04 Cobra wheels) on my ‘01 with no issues. I had to open the center bore and couldn’t fit the center caps on the front.

Alright cool. Thank you!

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was curious about this too. I have a nice set of mustang wheels that look like the torque thrust wheels and are charcoal with silver around the lip, very sharp and I paid next to nothing for them. They are just 17's, not sure how wide though.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I'd have nothing against running that setup. 9" wide on the front is not a problem. Your backspacing and offset are probably more important for areas where the tire may rub in your case.

In the 4x4 world, I probably would want nothing more than an 8" wide wheel in the front with a stock D28 or D35 axle, I think wider wheels are really hard on wheel bearings... especially wheels a large amount of negative offset. You can get away with wider wheels on half ton and larger axles because the wheel bearings are spaced out further and spread out the load across the spindle.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have 17x9s (‘04 Cobra rims) on my ‘98. I run 30mm spacers to put them more/less stock for tire centerline; 245/45R17 tires. I didn't make any changes to my rims to mount them

The '95 has slightly smaller (2.50" vs 2.77") hub diameter.

In the 4x4 world, I probably would want nothing more than an 8" wide wheel in the front with a stock D28 or D35 axle, I think wider wheels are really hard on wheel bearings... especially wheels a large amount of negative offset. You can get away with wider wheels on half ton and larger axles because the wheel bearings are spaced out further and spread out the load across the spindle.
D44 with 5.5" bolt circle diameter/3.88" hub is completely different animal to D28 or D35 with 4.5" bolt circle/2.83" hub - you're not using Ranger/Mustang rims there.

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I have 17x9s (‘04 Cobra rims) on my ‘98. I run 30mm spacers to put them more/less stock for tire centerline; 245/45R17 tires. I didn't make any changes to my rims to mount them

The '95 has slightly smaller (2.50" vs 2.77") hub diameter.

D44 with 5.5" bolt circle diameter/3.88" hub is completely different animal to D28 or D35 with 4.5" bolt circle/2.83" hub - you're not using Ranger/Mustang rims there.
You just reminded me...

I ran the 04 Cobra wheels on my ‘01 with 25mm spacers.
It was the ‘99 cobra wheels on my ‘90 that I opened the hub bore and ran with no spacer.

Last edited:

Kylem40

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys! I think I'm going to buy those saleen wheels soon then! Awesome! Appreciate all the help!! Love the green cobras!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals