• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

whats wrong with my ranger?????

Durham Racing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
ok so i've had my license maybe 9 months or so and i've put over 6,000 miles on my ranger .... your probabily thinkin wow big deal my ranger has XXXXX amount of miles on it, but I have managed to spin out into a ditch and max out my rear suspension and made the front end squat, i've towed over 2,500 pounds of river rock in the back of my truck (my rear end was squaten pretty bad), i've done maybe one to many burnouts, i've taken my ranger threw some stuff most people wouldnt, and i've taken it down the power lines and got it stuck so bad that i had to call i guy w/ a f350 and a winch to come pull me out. :\ now i know this isnt normal abuse you would put on a truck but im 16 what do you expect me to do_______. any how heres what its doing: something in my front end keeps scrapeing and it goes away and comes back whenever it wants (it has a mind of it's own i swear), it has to revv up to go past 70 or if im crusein at a constant speed and gag down on it it drops down a gear and tacs 4grand, it will not burn'em from a dead stop any more (for those who dont understand what burn'em means it will not spin the tires from a dead stop), it makes a clunking noise when i shift from D to R and when i shift from P to R, is this normal wear for a ranger with 70,963 on it?????????????????????????????????????

Durham Racing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
ooooohhhh PS is there a cheap way to make my 1998 ranger supercab 4x4 with the offroad package any taller ??? i know this has absolutely nuthin to do with tranni's but i thought ide ask can i swap my front control arms for explorer control arms and buy superduty coil overs or maybe new T-bars what can i do????

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
ok so i've had my license maybe 9 months or so and i've put over 6,000 miles on my ranger .... your probabily thinkin wow big deal my ranger has XXXXX amount of miles on it, but I have managed to spin out into a ditch and max out my rear suspension and made the front end squat, i've towed over 2,500 pounds of river rock in the back of my truck (my rear end was squaten pretty bad), i've done maybe one to many burnouts, i've taken my ranger threw some stuff most people wouldnt, and i've taken it down the power lines and got it stuck so bad that i had to call i guy w/ a f350 and a winch to come pull me out. :\ now i know this isnt normal abuse you would put on a truck but im 16 what do you expect me to do_______. any how heres what its doing: something in my front end keeps scrapeing and it goes away and comes back whenever it wants (it has a mind of it's own i swear), it has to revv up to go past 70 or if im crusein at a constant speed and gag down on it it drops down a gear and tacs 4grand, it will not burn'em from a dead stop any more (for those who dont understand what burn'em means it will not spin the tires from a dead stop), it makes a clunking noise when i shift from D to R and when i shift from P to R, is this normal wear for a ranger with 70,963 on it?????????????????????????????????????
normal wear? try accelerated heavy abusive wear...

learn to take care of your vehicle. people like you pay my bills.

anyways.. it kind of sounds like you have a pinched exhaust pipe..

and maybe some worn u-joints or sloppy pinion bearings.. but your post isn't totally clear.

the front end noise? we need more details on WHEN it happens.. like during turns? braking? my guess would be worn out brake pads or wheel bearings

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
the payload of a ranger is about 1500lbs...your damn lucky you didn't break your entire rear suspension system. and snap the drive shaft, ring gear...etc. if you need a heavier duty truck sell your ranger and up it to an F150.

I got my ranger when i was 16 to, and i live on a farm, now 18, doing hard work/hauling every day. but i know my trucks limits and when i either need to get one of the tractors, or the larger farm truck. no point in destroying something i paid that much $$ for.

Last edited:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
wow what a waste......somebody owned the truck for 11 years put 65k on it . the truck was probably mint.....you trashed it in 9 months..........you should have got a trashed ranger to abuse.........

nate09

Reaction score
hes 16, a kid, and he did some stupid stuff. the majority of us have done plenty of stupid things too so either help answer his question or dont post your unhelpful replies.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
hes an idiot. i wasn't like that at 16.. a mere 4 years ago.

why? because i have had to work for everything i have. i worked spring and summer to buy the ranger that i am still driving today.

its just plain disappointing that there are so many people with such an attitude

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
dude i got a 2000 ranger at 93000 miles and bounced it along at 45mph in the desert revved it doing donuts racing a chevy 1500. i started and finished the donut bitches i body slammed it on the whoops and i can;t believe that people destroy things so easily. i ha ve jumped it off a dune and it won't die................quite pushing the envelope and just take it to the limit................ of coarse it is amazing to remember hiw it was to burnout the car in a corner and the parking lot of the movie theater haha long story. but it is fun and thats all that matters

Last edited:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
hes 16, a kid, and he did some stupid stuff. the majority of us have done plenty of stupid things too so either help answer his question or dont post your unhelpful replies.
who says our comments are "unhelpful"..........maybe he will listen to them and grow up......maybe we saved his life ...who knows.......but you cant tell people to stop posting because you don't like what they are saying.......that is being ignorant.

nate09

Reaction score
who says our comments are "unhelpful"..........maybe he will listen to them and grow up......maybe we saved his life ...who knows.......but you cant tell people to stop posting because you don't like what they are saying.......that is being ignorant.
your comment in no way helped diagnosed his problems with his vehicle, therefore it was unhelpful. its his truck, if he wants to beat the crap out of it and break it, let him. if he wants to lower his truck and drag the frame on the ground cause its what he likes, its his truck. if he wants to put a diesel in it and make it run on bio diesel, its his truck. not everyones going to agree with what he does with it but its his truck. maybe it makes him stupid for doing it but maybe he needs to learn the hard way.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
your comment in no way helped diagnosed his problems with his vehicle, I agree with you therefore it was unhelpful. I disagree with you . We might have given him advice that could save his life its his truck, if he wants to beat the crap out of it and break it, let him. if he wants to lower his truck and drag the frame on the ground cause its what he likes, its his truck. if he wants to put a diesel in it and make it run on bio diesel, its his truck. not everyones going to agree with what he does with it but its his truck. maybe it makes him stupid for doing it but maybe he needs to learn the hard way.I am a Libertarian, he should do what ever he wants with his truck as long as it does not interfere with me, however I don't need to agree with what he does to it. Maybe he has no adult figure in his life to guide him. I was giving him good advice. He should be more careful because it just sounded a little reckless. you know trucks can be dangerous. I suggested that if he was going to trash a ranger why not beat on one that is already trashed. I just love people that try to keep you from speaking because they don't agree with you.

Durham Racing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Actually we bought my Ranger back in 98 form universal ford up in Orange,VA. my ma bought it b/c we needed a truck to haul stuff and i wouldnt shutup (when i was five i ran around the house singing the ford truck song by toby keith any how) i know i have abused my truck and i know its wreckless thats why i asked what have i broken. you might think im stupid but u were 16 once and you did stupid stuff to so now that i've had 6 different people tell me im stupid what the hell is wrong with my truck.
(1) my fan hums so loud that you can here it from 80 yards away
(2) it shifts hard and jults when you shift to reverse
(3) i hear a loaud scratching noise in the front end every once in a while it sounds like metal on metal
(4) it will not burn'em any more ...easily
(5) you hear a clunking noise when you shift from drive to revrse and park to reverse
(6) it has to rev up to go passed 70 if im cruisen and ga down on it it shifts down to rev up
(7)now that all of you have read this please help and do not criticize on my actions oh and btw my frame dragin didnt happen but it was pretty close

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
anyways.. it kind of sounds like you have a pinched exhaust pipe..

and maybe some worn u-joints or sloppy pinion bearings.. but your post isn't totally clear.

the front end noise? we need more details on WHEN it happens.. like during turns? braking? my guess would be worn out brake pads or wheel bearings
did i just quote myself? i must have already offered some suggestions.

(1) my fan hums so loud that you can here it from 80 yards away
the fan clutch is probably seized up. with the engine off you should be able to turn the fan

2) it shifts hard and jults when you shift to reverse
like i said before, check for sloppy u-joints and worn pinion bearings. you'll have to do this with the trans in neutral and the park brake on

(3) i hear a loaud scratching noise in the front end every once in a while it sounds like metal on metal

check the brakes
(4) it will not burn'em any more ...easily
possible pinched exhaust from off-roading, a slipping transmission, or maybe a clogged air intake. check these and we'll go from there

(5) you hear a clunking noise when you shift from drive to revrse and park to reverse

again.. u-joints/bearings
(6) it has to rev up to go passed 70 if im cruisen and ga down on it it shifts down to rev up
again... check the exhaust/intake and then we'll go on from there

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am with Brutus on most of the stuff. I thought the fan should spin freely when the engine is cold and be stiff when it is hot! Your u joints are probably shot. when was the last tuneup ie fuel filter, air filter plugs wires. like Brutus said look for curshed exhaust. Do you have any codes? We need more info on the front end. metal on metal occasionaly is weird.

* I would change the filter and fluid on the tranny asap!!!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals