• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What's the biggest towed?

bigmike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The pevious owner of my ranger went to harborfreigt and bought himself a little 4x6 trialer went home and put it together. the next day he want back out to home depot he go 25-30 bags of 60 or 75lb quickcrete 10 40lb bags of sand and about 25 cinderblocks (20lbs each?) .
quickcrete 1500lbs + 400 lbs of sand + 500lbs of block = 2400 lbs
this was an 89 with a 2.9 (100,000 on rebuild) and auto trans. bumber pull hitch 35 miles 1 way down the interstate

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It would either be a big PTO drive New Holland manure spreader or a CJ-2A Jeep on a car trailer. Both were just to move around the farm. No way I would pull either on the road, the jacks would barely clear the ground and the front of the truck was all but in the air.

Biggest street pulled load would be one of the misc. loads of brush it has pulled down to the city disposal thing, not much but about all I have for a Ranger to pull.

fyre82

Firefighter
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
9" on the 2000, 6" on the '88
Tire Size
265/75/16, 31x10.50x15
My credo
The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime
2 trips yesterday hauling on a 16' dual axle car hauler, all steel.
First trip '86 Ranger 4x w/shell, full heavy duty brush guard and tube bumper with all the guts inside.
Second trip, '87 ranger xcab 4x with all the guts inside.

Both trips over 5800' pass @ 25 mph on a 40 mile one way trip. I thought I was going to loose my clutch when the 1d10ts in town wanted to go up the hill at 15 looking at the pretty lights. It was a work out but we made it home safely.
All of my friends with large trucks were out of town or busy and I needed to get the things moved. Fortunately the CHiPs didn't look twice and my engine has good compression to stay slow going down hill.

The biggest difficulty was getting that beast lined up to winch the carcasses up on the trailer.

:beer:
Rich

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
heres mine, had to put the 225's on to do it. my motor locked up in the yota and no way to get it home

2.3 power son:headbang:. power wasnt the prob, it was the stopping. didnt have to go but about 10miles, i know it wasnt safe and it was scary ill never do it again

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
if you could have , the load would have better with the toyota on the trailer backwards. with the toyota on the trailer backwards the weight balance of the load on the trailer would have been less at the front of the trailer, meaning a little less tounge weight for the ranger and the front end of your ranger wouldnt have been so nose-high, with the weight transfer the way it was, most of your braking would have been done with the rear drum brakes. i had a situation like that once with my box trailer over half full of oak firewood, if i tried to stop too quickly, the front wheels would just slide because of weight transfer, the rear was sqautted and the nose was high, just like your picture there. granted, you may have not been able to have loaded it backwards, and its possible that you could have created a tail-heavy trailer load which can be worse than too much tounge weight. just some of my thoughts. trailer brakes are always a good idea though. i wish my trailer had brakes, wet stops can be intresting.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
was all good until i come to a 4way stop with a little sand going across the road...yea lets just say im glad it was a 4way. anyways couldnt get it on backwards when the engine blew it took the trans with it and it would no go backwards. neighbor bought that truck from me, put about 500 bucks in it. he had a 22re in his shop he swaped in place of the 22r, bought a new trans, and a weber and bought my old 31's. he's got that thing running good. makes me wish i didnt sell it. nothing like 25mpg with 32's and 4.10's

the trailer has trailer brakes but since the ranger was never designed for anything like that i didnt have the wiring, much less the controller lol

03Fx4MN

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I towed my Grandfathers 1970 24' Glastron V-234 with a tandem axle trailer about 10 miles to the launch launched it. Went fishing for the day.Pulled it out and drove home with my 2003 Fx4 no problem 4lo and we were set. It was funny cause all the guys with the full size trucks kept asking us if we knew what we were doing but when we pulled it out no problem they just looked shocked. Weights 3025 pounds dry.

Last edited:

06Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L or 140 C.I.
Transmission
Automatic
I just ruined my rear shocks and possibly something in the axle with a scoop of wet gravel (dry weight for a scoop 1500lbs). Sorry no pics of that may end up doing it again though. In second gear 40 mph max my 2.3l did fine.

hidesertlivin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Slightly modified 2.3
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2 inches
Tire Size
215 70 15
1000 lbs of hay.

jeffw920

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
probably would have been 4 cubic yards of mulch

Lhrschwab

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I once pulled a Bobcat with the bumper hitch on my 94 Ranger 4x4 4.0. That was when it was brand new and I was young and stupid. I never thought about stopping until it was time. I would guess it was about 6500lbs or more. The welds on the step part of the bumper are still broke and a little twisted. I remember the guy at the rental place pulling the Bobcat all the way up on the trailer and the front wheels lifting on the Ranger. After backing it up over the dual wheels on the trailer, I felt much safer,lol.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Are you trying to pull the RV out in the first pic?

FROADER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, he high-centered and got stuck pretty good.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals