• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What welder should I buy????

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am looking at getting a welder. Something that is 110v. Will need to be able to be set up for gas.

Plans are general use. Some fab,fixing stuff on the farm, exhaust and body work.

I was thinking of getting a Hobart.

Was curious on others experience with other welders.

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm a fan of Lincoln or miller. Wire feed
But I've also done a ton of work with a cheap one from tractor supply.

If you can afford it go gas for sure. Little more but worth it. The main issue with my cheapo. Is it would heat up and start spitting and sputtering. I would have to stop and let it cool.
I have a Lincoln stick welder that was my grandad's. It's 50 years old and still works great. Looks worse for wear but worth a million bucks to me. On my list of projects is to restore it

Of course if I dream for a minute both make a stick,mig, tig combo welder that is awesome ! Cost more than my b2 did :icon_hornsup:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a Lincoln weldpac 100 that is about 20 years old. It works great, has the capability to use gas but is flux-core. I'm leaving it flux-core because that wire gives better penetration when you have less than ideal conditions, such as used exhaust, painted or rusty metal, or the worst...wind. I also have a Sears branded 295A buzz-box for heavier stuff and just picked up a Thermal-arc 211A mig/tig/stick.
I would recomend the Lincoln, it does just about everything, but patience is key. You need a 20 amp service but most house outlets are 15 amps so you can only do about 2" of 1/8" thick weld at a time. I can take it anywhere and run it off my generator.

Last edited:

BCanuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1/8" thick steel on a 110 volt welder would be your max. Lincoln, miller and hobart are my pick.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hobart is my choice--made by Miller--works great.

tac1015

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I like my miller, its 220 not 110, would warn you off of 110, but understand if that's all you have. Don't by unless you can use gas, flux core suck and can make for some really ugly welds.

BCanuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Gassless flux does suck but flux core with CO2 is great. Hardwire with mix gas on body work is the way to go.

just truckn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6inch suspension 3inch body
Tire Size
33 12.50 15
U should check out Eastwood there welders r ok u can use gas or fluxcore I got the 135 model but I haven't gotten gas yet but the shop I used to work for has 3 of them they love them

Die.Fledermaus

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
0"
Tire Size
215/75-15
I have the Hobart 110v welder, top notch machine for its class. However it isn't the machine sold at the big box stores (they have single carry handles) as it has a three way grab handle.
I would still consider them a safe bet if your local welding store carries them.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
For a portable I love my Miller 211 Autoset, its 120/240 with the MVP plug so you just pop on the plug you want and go. I also got the Spoolmate 100 spool gun for welding aluminum. It will do 3/8 steel or aluminum in one pass and I can make it look like a robot welder did it, really sweet machine if your in that kind of price range. Here is a linky if you want to scope it out. http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/product.php?model=M00245

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals