• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What transmission to use?

Goldmachine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
My question is, what would be a better transmission for a 302 swap, a t5, or the m5od from a 4.2 f150?

Would the t5 handle abuse in a extended cab with a mild 302? Or are there any other 5 speeds that would word behind a 302?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For 2WD the T5 would be fine to use.
For 4WD the M5OD-R2 with transfer case from 4.2l F-150 4x4 would be better, IMO.

Adavance Adapter made a 4WD adapter for the Ford T5 many years ago, they are no longer made, they sometimes come up for sale but not something you can count on.
You should still get a stronger transfer case for the V8

Goldmachine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
My truck is 2wd, so I don't need to worry about the transfer case. But the t5 is plenty strong for my truck? Also what do I do for the clutch?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You could also use a ZF 5 speed from a 2wd F250/F350...but they are really a "truck" transmission...and like you would expect, they will shift like a truck, not like a sporty car, and they have a very low 1st gear. The M5OD will be a slight improvement.

I don't know if you could even find one of these, but there was a 4 speed manual offered in the early 80's...maybe earlier as well, but not later, that was very high geared and 4th was an overdrive gear. I had one in an '80 F100 behind an inline six. I could do about 30mph in 1st gear! You would want deep-ish gears in your rear axle, possibly 3.73's or 4.10's, for a fun driver. I believe the F100 had a 3.00 gear.

From what I read I think they were referred to as a "Ford Overdrive" transmission, and were supposedly not very strong, but my experience was that it lasted 200k+ easily with a high schooler driving.

For the clutch I guess you should decided if you want to go the cable route, as is used with the T5...as I understand, anyway, or build hydraulic linkage. I am not familiar with the T5 at all but it is very easy to go hydraulic with just about anything that has an external clutch fork.

Goldmachine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
I might go with the m5od from a 2wd 4.2 f150. Does that transmission have a big bell housing or a smallet one?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I might go with the m5od from a 2wd 4.2 f150. Does that transmission have a big bell housing or a smallet one?
I believe it has the small block Ford (300, 302, 351) bellhousing pattern, rather than the modular (4.6, 5.4) pattern if that answers your question.

Goldmachine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
I always thought the mod motors shared the same bellhousing as the small block ford. But I was wondering about the actual size of it. I'm planning on using the tri-y headers and am wondering of they will clear the bellhousing.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I always thought the mod motors shared the same bellhousing as the small block ford. But I was wondering about the actual size of it. I'm planning on using the tri-y headers and am wondering of they will clear the bellhousing.
I was under the impression that only the 4.2 and very early 4.6 had small block bellhousings, but I could be wrong.

Goldmachine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
The more research I do about the m5od-r2 and swapping a t5 in I think It would be easier using a c4 or AOD. The 4.2 f150s are hard to find where I am, and everyone is asking a arm and a leg for a t5. C4s and AOD's on the other hand are cheap and plentiful. And an auto is better for the drag strip also.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals