• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What is the best brand for side step bars?

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Im looking to get some side step bars. I'm curious what is a good quality brand to get? I see alot from NERF, if thats even a brand...

Thanks in advance

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Toooo many to pick from. All of them are great for what you pay for them. I have stainless Westin's and I love them. Chrome ones are not too great since chrome pits, chips and rusts!!!! Black is cool if you are going for the blacked out look. Check Ebay. I bought my bars for $145 with shipping included back in '03 and I love them. They fit up high and fit snug as a bug!!!!

Her is my 99 Ranger in '02 after the nerf bars and the 5 inch suspension lift before the BL. I installed a BL the next year.

Here is my Ranger now. This photos taken this summer with the Yakima Roof rack and the Yakima Basketcase. Those bars are snug as a bug and look really great as you can see. And this photo is like 8 years later after thos bars were installed.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Opps, sory. It was in 02 when I bought the nerf bars on Ebay. I said 03 in one sentence. My 99 Ranger had 12,000 miles on it by then so I lifted it and did my own thing with it.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"

Here is my Ranger now. This photos taken this summer with the Yakima Roof rack and the Yakima Basketcase. Those bars are snug as a bug and look really great as you can see. And this photo is like 8 years later after thos bars were installed.

Your truck looks awesome! How much was the roof rack? However, I'm actually not a fan of the extended cab window covers.

I couldn't find the full tubes like yours, and for '97's and below ext cabs they are $250-400+ S&H.

I just bought a pair of aluminum Bully side steps from Advance for $45. Work great, and look great. Easy install, too. Don't have a picture though.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a whole set of the Vent Visors on Ebay for $52.00 including shipping. I got the front in-channel window visors, the side visors and the rear window visor. The rear door visors give me more privacy as to what is in the back seats and floor area. They also break up any wind nose when I drive with the windows down. I get some really nice no noisy driving. I hate looking at the rear door area with out the visors on.

The roof rack I bought on Ebay as well. It was slighty used and in very good shape with the locks. I paid $249.00 with shipping on them. I know a guy named Frank who sells then on Ebay, slighly used. I bouhgt the Yakima Basketcase new on Ebay. That was $92.00 with shipping included. I do love Ebay!!!!! If you want, I will post Franks Ebay dealer site fo you.

As for those steps you bought, they are really nice...but sit too low for me. I tried a set once to see if I liked them and they seemed to hang down farther then I like. Post a photo when you can of your ride!!!

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Smittybuilt stuff is generally shit and rusts real quick. Lund should have them, Ford Accessories has some nice fiberglass ones but they're kinda pricey.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have put 50k miles and 5 years on my chrome Luverne nerf bars and they still look fine. They are kind of dinged up on the bottom from rocks but are not rusting. They might be stainless... they were on the truck when I got it.

I would avoid black like the plague, one chip and rust spreads under the powdercoating like wildfire.

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
I've got WAAG ones on my 98. I like them.

corrond56

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I bought my westin's back in 03 and they are still doing great. I got the platinum series (the stainless ones) but they cost me like 400 bucks from a local accessory shop. I'm sure I could have gotten cheaper if I checked online. They were easy to install as well.

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Will a set of bars off a newer ranger fit on my 94 ext cab

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
i got custom made ones :D

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I just took mine off altogether. Made it too hard to get the truck racked up.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
mine has westin bars, in black. i didnt like how close they were to the rocker panels so i made brackets to drop them 4" and kick them outward by 2". dumped 1/2 qt of rustoleum black paint inside each one and moved them around to coat the unpainted insides. ive had them on for probly seven years, just noe getting some rust-through, seems to be on top where the step pad is. paid about 200 for them. i personally think luverne is the best, dad has gotton stainless stuff from them before and it has held up, with absolutly no maintenence on his part. i thought about it, but it was just too much money for a (at that time) 10 y/o truck. i do paint mine evry year and i have front mud flaps that drag the ground to try and keep the gravel pitting down.

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea there few companies that make them anymore for the 93-97 rangers so I was wondering if a set off a 98+ ranger would fit

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals